ECN Forum
[indent]If this question does not belong to this message board or this particular forum section, I apologize. Otherwise, may the moderators assign it to the proper place.[/indent]

You might not believe this, but I have been using the same simple rice cooker for over twenty years, a Japanese National (brand) Rice Cooker. It has only one feature: when the rice is cooked it switches off automatically.

Over the years I have done repairs on this cooker as a DIY home repairman electrician.

Recently this rice cooker seems to be in a hurry to shut off the current, leaving rice not fully cooked.

I have opened this cooker in its operating abdomen several times for repair and maintenance service. Is there something there that I can tamper with in order to lengthen its cooking time, to compensate maybe for old age which accounts for its impatience to turn off the current even before the rice is properly done?

I don't seem to see any bimetallic strip in the entrails of its working compartment.

Anyone here having a good acquaintance with rice cookers and can give me some useful tips how to lengthen its cooking time?

My wife told me to get a new one, which is pretty thrifty in price for the simplest of models, which is my present kind of rice cooker, nothing fancy except turning off when the rice is done just right.

But I am one son of my mother who is loath to let any piece of machinery go into retirement if it can still be repaired or somehow restored to decent functionality.

gerry
Before this thread get removed.... (This forum is for professioanals) I would like to say, BUY A NEW RICE COOKER! It is not worth the risk you are taking with the life of yourself, and family.

Servicablity in items like this are against the laws of commerce. Most are made to self-destruct in subtle ways that just make you say, "it broke - get a new one" If you continue to mess with this thing you will mess up the delicate engineering of the item that would allow it to die quietly, and it will eventualy fail in not so subtle ways, like FIRE!

Give the wife the wallet, and tell her to buy the rice cooker of her dreams!

BTW, I really enjoyed the colorful anagolies.... "Entrails..." [Linked Image]
I agree with E57, it's time to buy a new cooker.

Roger
© ECN Electrical Forums