ECN Forum
Posted By: IanR Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/19/06 05:55 PM
I think that this topic was mentioned before but I just ran across this. I am till not sure if I like these or not. http://www.gizmag.com/go/5287/

What do you guys think?
Seems like a good idea but would like to see the backside of the device before I would use them.
Posted By: IanR Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/19/06 07:16 PM
Kinda makes the ground up/ground down argument a mute point, though [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 06-19-2006).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/19/06 08:24 PM
Well the article says it's "Backwired".

Hmmm......I'd have to take a look at one in real life.

I'm not to thrilled about it being a "residential grade" socket. That's just another name for Grade-F cheap-dung stuff. Look at those 50 cent light-sockets sold at Home Depot. After a few months of heavy use, they're worn out. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/20/06 02:57 AM
I'm kinda disturbed by the statement "for the novice do-it-yourselfer, the callouts for hot, neutral and ground are clearly marked on the back (paraphrased)". That, plus I'm a little dubious of how the receptacle can carry a full 15a.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/20/06 03:03 AM
It'd seem to me that the contacts would get pretty worn down after a decade or so, meaning that if it were actually used for anything near a full 15 amps it might go up in smoke. I'd like to crack one open and see how it works.
-Will
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/20/06 08:59 AM
I have my doubts about the durabilty of those powerpoints.
I like to see what type of sliding contacts are used within them, or they just twist the supply cable behind them ?

It's more a sales tactic to make these ppt's look very practical, but I reckon that these ppt's will cause fires or poor contacts, when loaded near their maximum rating for a period of time.
You'll be replacing these every couple of years is my guess.
Posted By: Radar Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/20/06 02:21 PM
Here's a link to the website: http://www.360electrical.com/

I see on there that the device is of UL-Compliant Design, whatever the heck that means. Count me in with the others concerned about long term heavy current use with questionable connections.

Radar
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/20/06 09:51 PM
That means that they resemble receptacles that are UL compliant.

Yeah, they have holes that plugs fit into.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/21/06 12:27 AM
Their address is in Salt Lake City, UT. Maybe we should send Ryan J over there to get us a sample [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/21/06 02:49 AM
This is a question to any inspectors who care to comment, or anyone else. Would you accept a "UL Compliant" device??
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Spinning outlets, what next? - 06/21/06 04:12 AM
Maybe if it's a proven design. A foreign-made NEMA-style receptacle of good quality is OK with me.

I have some South Korean-manufactured 110-volt receptacles here at home. While not UL listed, they bear their country of origin's ETL mark.

This gizmo is an unknown quantity. Also, UL listings don't guarantee good quality. It just means that the item's not going to cause a fire or electrocute you when used properly.

Again, look at the 50 cent Home Depot-special receptacles. They're UL/CSA stamped. Would you call them a quality device? I sure wouldn't trust 'em.
© ECN Electrical Forums