ECN Forum
Posted By: drillman Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 01:21 AM
A coworker showed me this today.

There was a GFCI in a bathroom and when he keyed his radio it tripped the GFCI. He reset it and did it again.

Nothing plugged into the GFCI.

This is a new one on me.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 01:33 AM
The RF signal from the transmitter is getting picked up by the wiring, and is being interpreted by the GFCI as a current imbalance.

A different make of GFCI might fix the problem. El Cheapo GFCIs often omit "needless" filtering components like bypass capacitors. RF pickup can be a problem with cheap residential wiring materials (romex and plastic boxes), which provide no RF shielding compared to AC/MC cable or conduit and metal boxes.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 01:33 AM
It's caused by the RF currents from the 2-way radio transmitter.
It induces a current in the GFCI sensor coil, tripping the internal relay.

{Oops, we must have posted at the same time Kenny} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-14-2006).]
Posted By: JCooper Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 02:10 AM
In the town I am a firefighter in we had the same problem in a new apartment complex that was being built, but when we keyed up on one channel the gfi would pop and let its smoke out. It then was dead, could not be reset. The GC ended up replacing most of the gfci's in the complex.
Posted By: e57 Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 06:25 AM
Imagine what it does when you talk into it....
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 01:21 PM
We had a system setup to feed power to within the 12' vertical area above a pool so we installed a bunch of GFCI's in a Hoffman box. Our radios would trip all at once. We traded out one of the boxes for a RFI shielded box and they still tripped, presumably from the unshielded wiring that left the box. Our fix was to post a sign not to key radio within 5' of the box.

The guys were wondering if the "radio key" method meets the OSHA GFCI testing requirements. It was easier than testing hundreds of GFCI's each month... (Still had them test by the pushbutton)
Posted By: Celtic Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 09:07 PM
[quote]The guys were wondering if the "radio key" method meets the OSHA GFCI testing requirements. It was easier than testing hundreds of GFCI's each month... (Still had them test by the pushbutton)[/quote

...but then who resets them all?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 10:30 PM
If only a device was on the market that when keyed would kill all cell phones in a 1000 sq ft area.

I would buy one. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Rewired Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 11:34 PM
Try keying your radio beside your computer monitor or near a regular am / fm radio and see what it does mine throws the screen all crazy and maked the radio emit some funny sounds... I am going to try keying up near a GFI just for " Ha Ha's" amd see what happens...

Roger: if such a device were availible ( or buildable) you would see me with one too!

A.D
Posted By: e57 Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/15/06 11:47 PM
Gent's they are available, and were slated to be installed in movie theaters until the lawyers of the phone companies got involved. They are currently in use in Iraq..... (To thwart remote bombs)
http://www.cellantenna.com/CJAM/cjam_1000.htm
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/16/06 12:27 AM
It isn't just cell phone company lawyers, it's the FCC.

With a very few exceptions, jamming devices are illegal under federal law.

The federal law only prohibits ACTIVE jamming, or devices which actually transmit an interfering signal. A theater owner would be perfectly legal in installing copper mesh screening under the wallpaper or whatever, creating a faraday cage to block reception of cellphone signals.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/17/06 07:56 AM
Adam,
Try keying your radio beside your computer monitor
I have a 50 Watt 2-metre (143-148MHz) transciever and cradle taped to the top of my system case and have had for the last 3 months.
The monitor or the computer don't seem to be too concerned.
I would post a pic, but I'm too ashamed of the gratuitous use of PVC insulation tape.
Most of you would cry if you saw it, I know I did. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/17/06 11:53 AM
We have a few low power, lower UHF spectrum (<10 watts, 450 mHz range) 2-Way Radios, which - if Radio Transmission is done within a 3 foot radius of certain Impact Printers, will initiate a single Carriage Return on that printer, each time a Transmission is started (like a dirty key bounce problem).

Scott35
Posted By: Rewired Re: Two way radio trips GFCI - 06/17/06 07:23 PM
Trumpy:
PVC Tape, DUCT tape, its all good [Linked Image]

I can't explain it really, our last set of Motorola radios did the same thing, and the new ones we have " i 560" is the model number do the same.. Even if you just turn it on being near a radio or monitor it screws things up, and the same goes if it's just sitting there in the dash of the van or on the secretaries desk, it will start screwing up the radio, the monitor or whatever... it even interferes with our regular land line phones if you are close enough.... Funny thing is, they work when you dont want them too,( boss looking for you, secretary wanting to give you 8 more "emergency" work orders) but always seem to NOT work any other time.. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums