ECN Forum
Posted By: mshaw Aluminum wiring - 06/05/06 07:32 PM
I have been asked to bid a job to evaluate the condition of the aluminum wiring in two multi tenant apartment buildings. My first gut instinct is to say no due to the liability issues. Is there a proper way to go about this evaluation. One fellow electrician said you have to remove every device and check the connections and torque on eack screw/lug ect.

Ideas? HELP!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Aluminum wiring - 06/05/06 10:17 PM
I have a 'rule'....
Go by my first feeling!

John
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Aluminum wiring - 06/05/06 11:32 PM
Bid it at T&M, in phases if they want..

CYA, Mike..
Posted By: Sixer Re: Aluminum wiring - 06/05/06 11:44 PM
Not only do you have to check each device, but you are going to have to make sure each and every device is compatible with aluminum.

I went through this last year and ended up having to put a copper jumper between each aluminum conductor and the device terminals using wire connectors with a CU/AL rating. My supplier doesn't carry any devices that are rated for AL but was able to get me the CU/AL wire connectors. I did this job at T&M.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Aluminum wiring - 06/10/06 02:05 AM
Check this site out http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Aluminum wiring - 06/10/06 03:22 PM
I saw in a new house being built, they used aluminum wiring for a 50a 240v circuit. Is this still used in the larger size wire? Is it legal? I know it for range cable, feeders etc., a long time after the 70's when they used the aluminum #12 general lighting circuits for homes.
© ECN Electrical Forums