ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/29/06 09:02 PM
Generally speaking...

Can I connect 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers (4 ohm load) to a single stereo output?

I have an A / B switch for my interior & exterior speakers, but I'd like to connect another set to my exterior speakers.

Thanks!
Posted By: briselec Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/29/06 10:27 PM
I've seen it done. Doesn't mean you should though
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/29/06 11:40 PM
Completely depends on the amplifier. Some are rated to drive 4 ohm loads, some aren't.
Posted By: TwinCitySparky Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/29/06 11:54 PM
If the amp is not rated to handle 4 Ohm loads, you can always safely connect the speakers in series creating a 16 Ohm load. As long the speakers are similar in design. The power will be shared resulting in lower volume levels though.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 12:04 AM
I don't think I'd want to connect speakers in series. Their impedance is complex function of frequency, and you will almost certainly get artifacts from the interaction of the speakers.

The amplifiers that were made to drive Apogees did very well into low-Z loads--the Scintillas dropped below 1 ohm, and had a reputation as amplifier killers. Pretty soon there were amps made to drive those loads--Krell, Aragon, I think maybe some of the Mark Levisons, and some of Nelson Pass' designs.
Posted By: TwinCitySparky Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 12:54 AM
The question was general. I dont think we are talking high-end equipment here. But, maybe I'm wrong (It has happened before)
Posted By: e57 Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 05:36 AM
Yes that was some serious name dropping there....

Personally, I'm on some B&W's (C-4 towers)through a Rotel, very nice beginner set up.

To answere the question, YES, but I would suggest you check your amp for matching that load. If not, Russound has some impedance macthing speaker selectors and volume controls that will do the job nicely. (Low grade, no oxygen free copper contacts and whipes...)
Posted By: techie Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 07:06 AM
Personally, I like Meyer, powered by Crest, driven by Gamble.. or the Meyer self-powered systems..
Posted By: techie Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 07:07 AM
IIRC, some of the old McIntosh amps would drive loads down to 1 ohm (maybe even 1/2 ohm..)
Posted By: techie Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 07:21 AM
You could also use a constant voltage (25 or 70v) system, depending on the number of speakers, power level, and length of the cabling.
Posted By: TwinCitySparky Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 12:08 PM
Or, I might part with my Sunfire amp...

It will run 1 Ohm all day long.
Posted By: pauluk Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 12:16 PM
you can always safely connect the speakers in series creating a 16 Ohm load.

Not advisable though if it happens to be a tube amp. Running a tube output stage with higher than specified load can result in increased dissipation in the tubes.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 12:25 PM
TwinCity, I have two (a Stereo and a Cinema Grand) and I wouldn't part with them for anything.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/30/06 03:39 PM
OK, I'll admit to lusting after some nice amps for my Stages. All my budget allowed was an Adcom, though. [Linked Image]
Posted By: TwinCitySparky Re: 8 ohms v. 4 ohm speaker load - 05/31/06 02:21 AM
Larry -

I know what you mean. I wouldn't consider it if my F-81 STAX Electrostatic speakers didn't "arc out" last year. Some connections to the sound panels suddenly began to sizzle while producing bright purple arcs. That was the strangest (and saddest) thing I've seen for a while. Glad it didn't hurt my Sunfire. I wish I could find repair info for them. They were built in Germany.
© ECN Electrical Forums