ECN Forum
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 03:57 PM
Sorry about the late posting. Computer problems. We installed the devices. Time saved was at least 60 percent faster than the typical installation. Very user friendley. Although the entire device is plastic with no metal parts I am not entireley pleased with no ground screw on the switch devices. Probably cause I never installed a device without a ground screw. Do they save time? Yes. Would I use them again? Yes. I found the system very user friendley. Good luck out there and please be safe.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 04:43 PM
I found the system very user friendly

It may be contractor friendly but I doubt it will turn out to be customer friendly.

They are now stuck with electric boxes that will not take standard devices.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 04:52 PM
Here is a single gang box.

[Linked Image from nomorescrews.com]
Youmay change out the cheeta device with a regular device. Only problem with it is that after changeing out the device you will have cover plates with screws in them rather than a clean plate with no screws.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 05:32 PM
Steve, how is that possible?

All I see is a large square hole where the 6-32 would go.

Bob
Posted By: stamcon Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 05:44 PM
Bob, the OEM device has a plastic block that pushes into that hole. If a common device is wanted to be installed, the OEM device is unscrewed from the block and the new device screwed in.

steve
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/28/06 10:27 PM
Bob, think of it as job security: as long as they call you, it won't be an issue.

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, you can buy the black anchor blocks separately.
Larry is correct. The anchors are a big 7 cents . Should not break the bank.
Posted By: georgestolz Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 02:53 AM
Thanks for the update. I've spoken out against them, but as yet have been too chicken to try them out. [Linked Image]
Posted By: winnie Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 11:54 AM
When I looked at their web page last time, I figured that they'd answered the issue (compatibility with standard devices) in a quite clever fashion. Their devices attach to their boxes using their proprietary anchors. But the devices themselves attach to the anchors using standard screws on standard spacing. So if at install you want to use some device that they don't sell, you can just attach anchors to it, and if in the future the home owner wants to replace devices with standard devices, they can do that.

Their FAQ indicates that you can use standard devices, replace their special devices with standard devices, and even get an adapter than lets you use their special face plates with standard devices.
http://www.cheetahspeed.com/cheetah_electrician_faq.html

I've not used these...but IMHO pretty clever.

-Jon
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the compatibility.

To each their own, I will not be installing these unless forced to by specification. [Linked Image]

Bob
I to had many doubts about this system. After putting in a few of them not only was it faster but my wrist did not hurt at all because I did not have to turn a single screwdriver. I was real skepical. With the plates on its a real nice clean look. Give them a shot and let me know how you feel about them.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 12:45 PM
Steve given the type of work I do it is unlikely I will get the chance to try them out.

99% of our device boxes are metal 4" squares with plaster rings.

I admit other NM cable and RNC for underground I have little like of any plastic electrical equipment. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: adamb Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 12:50 PM
If the dry wall dopes over cut your hole can you "slide" the receps to cover the gap, like you would with a regular recep? Ive never seen one so it might be simple and i just dont get it.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 12:53 PM
By the way Steve.

It was nice of you to provide an update on these boxes. [Linked Image]

It sounds like many people are interested in these boxes and as you have used them and I have not your much more qualified to comment on them. [Linked Image]

Bob
Thanksfor the kind words bob. Appreciate them a lot. As for wiggle room the yokes are a little larger and higher than our standard devices. The drywallers did over cut the boxes but the devices went in no problem. They would have to be real bad to screw this system up. And yes bob I would rather be doing mc cable and metal boxes rather than the house stuff. I really enjoyed my time in the commercial field. Still bend the pipe 180 degrees the wrong way sometimes, But im getting there.
Posted By: iwire Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 02:11 PM
Still bend the pipe 180 degrees the wrong way sometimes, But im getting there.

LOL

That problem never goes away.

That is what they make couplings for. [Linked Image]

Bob
Bob,
Thanks for makeing me smile on this holiday weekend. Couplings do come in handy. Have used many of them.
Posted By: e57 Re: Update on new cheeta boxes - 05/29/06 05:25 PM
"That problem never goes away. "

There are creams and powders to relieve the sysntoms, but no known cure. - Coffee seems to help....
© ECN Electrical Forums