ECN Forum
Posted By: kojunho residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/20/06 06:22 PM
just trying to see what kind of work people on this board perfer, residential, commercial, industrial?? what are the up's and down's of either one?? it seems like most of the electricians i talk to, seem to dislike residential work.
INDUSTRIAL but I'm prejudiced 14 years in steel mill 23 years wire and cable factory. The best part is trouble-shooting, never boring. Then comes adapting, parts obsolete, too expensive etc. more fun
I like Resi in older lower end homes.
Without a doubt industrial,especially motor controls and troubleshooting.Sometimes it can be frustrating especially when your in an old facility or the equiment is out of date.
I'm doing primarily residential and some commercial now. I spent quite a few years in the mills and I really enjoyed it but there's really nothing like being on your own. It would be really good if I could pick up some small industrial accounts, but being by myself I'm sort of hesitant. I know - no guts no glory!
enjoy res, doing large housing dev. now,,just got an acount for a bunch of pools, we will see how that works out.
Posted By: Tiger Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/20/06 11:59 PM
Residential Service. With few exceptions the benefits are cash flow and people. The downside is attics and crawls.

Dave
I wish I could work out of a bucket truck everyday repairing HID lights and/ or capacitors/ multi-tap transformers, but in reality I do mostly new/ old residential construction and service upgrades. I would love to do commercial work all day long, but the truth of it is I do mostly residential stuff. And I definitely love the work I do.
Posted By: kdal Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 12:15 AM
Definitely industrial.
I would rather run 4 inch rigid or tray and pull 750 mcm than fool with romex.
I worked mostly papermills, nuke plants, orange juice plants, rock mines, and sawmills.
Now that I’ve started my own company as a one-man show I don’t get to do much of the big stuff.
I still do some commercial. Lots of emt, which I’ve learned to enjoy.
I was used to using hydraulic and Chicago benders building many beautiful racks of concentric runs. Mostly screw pipe. Rigid and aluminum.
But it didn’t take long to adjust to a foot bender and emt.
Residential is ok if you have a couple of guys who are thorough, fast and efficient.
The sheetrock worries me some.
Once its up and painted and ready for trimout the wiring had better be right.
Commercial is a lot more forgiving. Just run another conduit.
Residential is also a lot more competitive.
It seems that the crews have to work like madmen to make money.
And some companies cut every corner possible on materials and technique.
I find it hard to compete.
I personally will not use any #14 wire and no multi wire branch circuits.
Just my preference, not saying either is wrong.
Once in a while on industrial we would have to jump through the hoop to get something done quick.
But usually it was pretty much just a steady pace (my preferred speed) or sometimes even laid back.
I also agree with feather and kain10, I really enjoy troubleshooting controls.
Here is a link to some of my conduit work. http://www.gtcom.net/~kdal/conduit.html

[This message has been edited by kdal (edited 04-20-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 12:26 AM
Resi, or Comm, so long as money is no object. [Linked Image] There is nothing like people whining about money. Or trying to save $.01, by saving a whole lot of crap that would be better off in a land fill. i.e. for remodels, gut that hole, and call me after you got the sweeping compound in a barrel. And both are equally nice if the GC is good, likewise for the plans... There is nothing like dealing with a poorly detailed cartoon for a set of plans, and a GC who is dis-organized, and is learning as he goes. Or has an undeserved chip on the shoulder, lording around like he's hot stuff, but just another hack.

That said, I have worked with some of my areas finest... Who demand detailed plans and stick to them, have schedules to keep, and understand that when I say 3 weeks for a rough, I mean 3 weeks, not 2! They have all thier duck lined up before I get there, and let me know more than I need to know when it comes to the details.

Industrial ('round here), is often filthy work in excessively loud and busy environments, not my cup o' tea.
Posted By: e57 Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 12:31 AM
kdal, nice pipe...
Heres some of mine from a project last year. https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000905.html
http://www.markhellerelectric.com/DSCN0013.JPG

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 04-20-2006).]
Posted By: kdal Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 12:38 AM
Nice work e57.Looks great.
Conduit can be a enjoyable art.
Im in a service department so do everything from resi to industrial. I'd much rather get dirty and work industrial at the concrete plant we do work for than hang ceiling fans or other resi work. I also love troubleshooting and building control panels in the concrete plant.
Posted By: WFO Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 02:07 AM
POCO's never get any respect [Linked Image]
Utility work rules [Linked Image]
Kdal: Nice 7 over 7!!!!!
E57: NICE!!!! a lot over and next to a lot!!

Me, I prefer comm & site lighting, and the three Country Clubs. Resi is a "NO-NO"

With the AHJ 'hat' on, I still prefer comm/site & industrial, but I gotta do the McMansions too!!

John
Saw in the local paper a mention about the Secacus Junction railroad transfer station in northern NJ. Seems that they forgot about the task of changing out the light bulbs mounted in high locations in the ceiling of the place when it was designed. Seems that they had to lower one "crane" thru an opening in the roof with another crane. And that the "crane" lowered into the place was needed to reach the light bulbs that needed changing. I think that they changed out every bulb to avoid having newly burnt out ones a month later. Cost something like $10000 just to rent the cranes. Those bulbs better last a good while! Seems that even industrial and commercial sometimes get it bad.
I haven't done much industrial so I can't say anything about that. Lots of commercial. The money was good, (speaking from a contractor's perspective here), but the hours were generally longer. Lots of times there were crashed schedules to deal with. I switched to doing residential work when I started a family. Now I am just about always home at nights. After some real trial and error, I learned how to make a decent living doing that work also. The down side of residential work can be some of the general contractors you get to contend with. Learn to weed em out and things get better.
wow, lots of variety. kdal and e57 that looks like awesome work you guys are doing. i probably got a ways to go before i can start that kind of job
I've always preferred new commercial but I've just done my first factory and enjoyed it so I'll be looking to do both in the future.
I like commercial, but decided to do just residential service work for now. My license is for residential, so I stick with it. I am avoiding new home construction, as it is demanding and too competitive, and I don't have the business experience or connections to compete with the big names.
Most electrical contractors here are too busy building homes to have time to mess with small jobs. This is my niche, and as a subcontractor, I always get paid from the company sending me to the homes. I won't get rich, but if I make enough to live on, and keep the customers satisfied, I am happy with my choice.
Posted By: e57 Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/21/06 11:33 PM
kojunho, a lot of that conduit I did on the ground, and just passed up to someone else to hang. (I just get one measurement) Essentially, they are all the same bend with 2" (Or any other spacing...) added in one way or another. (To the kick, or length of stub) Believe it or not, it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Concentrics, like these by kdal are a lot more tricky. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image from gtcom.net] But there are a few books with the formulas and techniques laid out fairly well. After that, it is just practice. And that takes time, and the opprotunity.

Pipe is one skill that is both required and enjoyable in all areas of the trade. Resi, Comm, Ind, something that anyone calling themselves an Electrician should have mastered. Essentially all of the skills are the same in each, just the materials vary IMO.

The other day, I did a 200a service in 2" RMC through a 2X4, and a 2X6 wall, with 210 degrees of bend with all threaded connections. (30-rolling-OS to meter, and back to back 90's to the main in the next stud bay. No threadless or 3-piece couplings.) The only reason I had to go do it, is that there are some nay sayers on my crew, who said it could not be done.
Posted By: kdal Re: residential?? commercial?? industrial?? - 04/22/06 03:28 AM
I have started a new thread on conduit so we can all share some tips, tricks and pet peeves.
Like a friend once told me "theres a sly way to do everything”
Haveing done both residential and commercial work i prefer commercial. Im trying to get into the idustrial side now. I absolutely loved bucket truck work. Nothing better than a nice spring day in a bucket truck with you and your partner. I find residential work pace way too fast and in the process some things get overlooked. However its all part of the job.
© ECN Electrical Forums