ECN Forum
We will be doing a remodel on a house and will be useing a device ( Made in China) The romex is run into the box and we attach the wires to the receptacle and it snaps in to the box. No screws and the cover plate is the same way. Its a new product and would like to know if anyone has used this stuff. Its UL Rated and it seems it wouls save a lot of time and a lot easyer on the wrist. ANYONE?
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 02:28 AM
I've got a box of the free rough in's of the stuff right now in the shop. We haven't used them yet and are waiting for a good job to try them on. I like the idea of the system, the only problem I see is the device quality on the trim. Only time will tell if it catches on and if it is high enough quality to use.

I did see a competitor of mine that has 30+ trucks doing tract homes leaving their shop every day this morning had these sample packs on every truck. Looks like today was the day to try them. We'll see if they liked them. They are bottom feeders, so if it saves time, they'll use 'em.
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 11:23 AM
eagle,

no offense, but do you really want to consider them competitors?

They are bottom feeders, so if it saves time, they'll use 'em.

maybe just consider them another electrical contractor that provides a lower level of service and work than you do. But direct competitor?
Posted By: sandro2 Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 12:32 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but looking at http://www.cheetahspeed.com/cheetah_products_boxes.html
doesn't seem to me you can use any other type of devices but the cheetah.
What if u receive acall and need to replace this type of switch and or receptacle. Unless you stock them you need to possibly make 2 trips to the location.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 12:51 PM
according to cheetahs website under FAQ.
You can replace cheetah devices with standard devices . They also sell "speed anchors" to use in their boxes .
My only concerns would be quality of the devices and boxes and availability of the devices. If I were to use this system I think I would invest in those speed anchors just in case I can't get the cheetah devices and needed to use regular devices. That or order everything at once; the rough in boxes AND the devices/plates
Just my thoughts though
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 04:31 PM
How much wiggle room do you have to get the devices level when the box gets mounted crooked?
We nailed the boxes up today. I like the plastic wing that attaches to the box for support.Keeps the box from moveing side to side. Not much wiggle room if the box is crooked. Will let all of you know when the drywallis up and time to install the devices.
Posted By: techie Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 09:14 PM
Looking at the FAQ, and the pictures, it looks like the devices actually do have screws, it's just that they ship with the speed anchors preinstalled. If you remove a device, you unscrew it, and have a choice of pushing the speed anchors out the back of the hole, and snapping in another cheeta device, or screwing in a regular device to the existing speed anchors..
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 10:49 PM
This would be one helluva nightmare for the electrician or DIYer who didn't know about this system.

I know I'd be screaming a blue streak at something non-standard like this. [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/13/06 11:12 PM
I imagine this will all come down to the money. If your wiremen are making a big number an hour you can spend more for parts that make them go faster.
I doubt I will see many here.
Posted By: vlad_tepish Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/14/06 01:16 AM
IMHO,,,plastic boxes,,nope wont use them
Posted By: Tiger Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/14/06 01:26 AM
I can't figure out how to get EMT into them.

Dave
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/14/06 04:01 PM
Will never see them in New York City either.

We use metal boxes and types AC or MC cable.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/14/06 05:30 PM
Metal boxes and EMT here in Chicago.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/15/06 08:41 PM
Mahlere,
You are correct, I do not compete against this company. They only do tract homes for national builders, we don't do tract homes.
Tiger,
EMT will fit fine if you unibit the back out and put the connector in.
Posted By: stamcon Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/16/06 04:44 PM
The manufacturer has a free challenge kit available to try out their system(free boxes, but no devices). http://www.cheetahspeed.com/cheetah_electrician_challenge.html

Standard devices can replace their custom ones. Their devices will unscrew from the push-in blocks that attach them to the boxes and allow conventional devices to be screwed to the blocks. http://www.cheetahspeed.com/cheetah_electrici
an_faq.html

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 04-16-2006).]
Posted By: e57 Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/16/06 08:21 PM
Cant remember who makes 'em, but there is a box that can use any device, (no special anchors) and you can just push the device screw in. They have a spring metal clip in the hole that allows the screw to just be pushed back across the threads. They work well.... And nothing too specialized, so that you're stuck using specific devices. Wouldn't mind seeing those on metal rings! (Especially for the ones that didn't make it through the threading proccess before I installed it.)

As for the wall-plates, I can see a big problem with how these are set up. On uneven surfaces, where some fine adjustment will be nessesary to make the plate look like it it is even, (know what I mean?)you would have to pry the plate off several times in order to do it. Where as other screwless plates you can make those adjustments before the final plate goes on. Nice idea though....
The plumber was there today and the sheetrock will be going up soon. The devices are on our truck. Will inform all of you how the whole thing came out. The password will be ( IF IT WORKS)
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/17/06 10:36 PM
e57. pass & seymour or slater is who you are looking for.
Posted By: e57 Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/18/06 12:00 AM
Yeah, dem ones....
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/P07.pdf

"Quick/Click tm" Same general idea, no special devices needed....
Posted By: NORCAL Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/18/06 05:16 AM
Quik-clicks are one of the biggest pieces of garbage ever to hit the market,it doesnt take many times of inserting and withdrawing attachment plug before the screws holding the receptacle pull out.
Posted By: e57 Re: New Cheeta Boxes and receptacles - 04/18/06 06:03 AM
Never had that problem with them.... Then again, I don't often use them, but it is a neat idea, that could be improved.
© ECN Electrical Forums