ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/07/06 09:32 PM
As of May 1st, 2006 the 2005 NEC will be formally adopted within the UCC (5:23 et al)

Received verbal notification today (4/7/2006) from DCA office.

John

Edited to add:

Driving Ticket fine increase in NJ:

Starting on August 15th, the price of a ticket for violation of NJ Law39:3-29 (failure to show your driver's license, registration, or insurance card at the time you are stopped) is going from $44.00 to $173.00. Please make sure your vehicles have the proper documents in them. If you jump in the car to run to the store and forget your wallet with your license in it and you are stopped.... Oh well... you just spent $173. And the fine for not having all three documents is $519!!!

Forward to people in NJ, and let them know of this change. And be careful, the fine for hand held cell phone use while driving will be going up to $180.00.

Received as an e-mail from a friend, hopefully it's truth!!

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 04-07-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/07/06 09:44 PM
AHHH, Good Old New Germany [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 12:19 AM
May 1, 2006.

Thanks for the heads-up John. But I don't have too much to worry about. I haven't been pulled over by a cop for a driving violation since 1997 when I had a taillight out (fuse was blown).
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 12:36 AM
See, Gov. Corzine promised not to raise taxes. <g>
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 12:39 AM
I'm a Republican, other than that, I have no comment.
Posted By: LK Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 12:55 AM
The State of New Jersey, Budget Hearing was on PBS yesterday, it appears we are in for a rough ride, so fasten your seat belts, have all your papers with you Lic, Reg, and Insurance card, fines will generate big bucks, this way of raising money is much better, then having that nasty manufacturing here , they just caused highway jams with all those employees going to work!

John,
I went out to check the trucks, right after i read your post, one truck was ok. the other was missing insurance card.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-07-2006).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 03:23 AM
It is strange that in a time when the cop can verify ALL of those documents on the computer in his car before he pulls you over, including the picture on your license, they bust your balls for not having them with you.
Give me my chip!
Posted By: mahlere Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 12:44 PM
May I see your papers please? Your papers are not in order. (say that with your best WWII Nazi Germany accent, and you'll get a chill up your spine) [Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 01:38 PM
John,

I had a class with Suzanne Borek on Mar. 31 and I asked her about the 34 hrs. to renew our contractor lic. She said that this fall, if you are a lic. inspector, your CEU's will also count toward your contractor lic.. She got a large round of appluase from our class that day. I also heard about the May 1 date for the 2005 NEC. It was suppose to be adopted on Apr. 1 but the stae moved too slowely to get it in the NJ register. So it will have to wait till May 1.
Posted By: Roger Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 01:55 PM
I like the hand held cell phone law and fine, I wish we had a similar law in N.C.

Now, let's becareful to not turn John's thread into bashing political parties or individuals.

Thanks

Roger
Posted By: LK Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 05:24 PM
harold,

Where does Suzanne run a code course?
That would be a great code class.
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 09:53 PM
... Hi gang,
... I've been "popping" in and lurking from time to time,..not having much spare time anymore as I'm starting to get busy again after a LEAN 2 months...glad that's over..just in time for TAX SEASON!!!!!
... I've got a question,...
I obtained my 34 hrs for CEU's,...does this mean that next Code change I only need to do 26 hours,..cuz of the 8 hour carry-over??

... What happens to you if... you DON'T get your 34 hours in for this past Code change due by March 2006, and fill out the form to renew your licence and check YES where it asks you if you obtained the 34 CEU's...knowing darn well you didn't get the credits... can you lose your licence??
..I'm only asking because a buddy of mine called me about 2 weeks ago, asking if I'd gotten mine,..I said I had, and he said he couldn't find a class...Does the Board actually keep tabs on EVERYONE who renews??
...if so, my friend is up the creek without a paddle.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Good to be back,y'all!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 04-09-2006).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 10:02 PM
Where does Suzanne run a code course?
That would be a great code class.

... She gave a class on Rehab Codes on March 25th, in Lyndhurst at the Quality Inn , with Tom Valeo,..an instructor working with Bob Frangipane, Tom is a Sub-Code Official for Union City...,..I wanted to attend, but I missed it...alas.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 04-08-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/08/06 10:46 PM
A pal just got an 80 euro 'on the spot' fine, on his way to the municipal dump, for-------

Having his little home-made trash-trailer's license plate fixed with screws and not the required-by-Euro-law pop-rivets.

Arrrrrrggghhhh!! What's happening to us!!!

Alan
Posted By: LK Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 01:05 AM
Just wanted to know where she was running a class, because when you call her for code information, she really knows what's up, when it comes to a problem understanding a code requirement.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 02:48 AM

... I've got a question,...
I attained my 34 hrs for CEU's,...does this mean that next Code change I only need to do 26 hours,..cuz of the 8 hour carry-over??
What does your 34 consist of?
The ten-hour mandatory (9 code/1 law) plus 24 "electives"....or....do you mean you have 34 hours of electives in ADDITION to the mandatory 10-hours?

If you have a total of 34 CEUs (10+24 CEUs), then you have 0 CEU credits for next cycle.

If you have the mandatory 10 PLUS 34 CEU hours, then yes, 8 hours will carry to next code cycle.

I have the 10 mandatory PLUS 42 elective hours - way over the 8 allowable for transfer.

See: http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/electric/advisory.htm

Meeting Your Continuing Education Requirements - Who, How Many & When?

... What happens to you if... you DON'T get your 34 hours in for this past Code change due by March 2006, and fill out the form to renew your licence and check YES where it asks you if you obtained the 34 CEU's...knowing darn well you didn't get the credits... can you lose your licence??
Can you lose your license? - YES
Will you definitly lose your license? - Maybe.
It will depend on how and when you plead your case to the board.
If they find out - before you 'fess up - the penalty will be harsh... fines and penalties for operating w/o the proper documentation/certification and submitting a fraudulet renewal document. Operating as an EC w/o proper license/permit is a class 4 FELONY. You will more than likely have your license yanked - meaning you must RETEST...if they even will you to retest(you are now a felon).

If you plead your case to the Board BEFORE caught, and you have your CEUs (good luck finding a class now), and you had an exceptionally valid excuse - they may enforce the fines but forgo the loss of license and retesting ...then again, they might not.

..I'm only asking because a buddy of mine called me about 2 weeks ago, asking if I'd gotten mine,..I said I had, and he said he couldn't find a class...
BULL.
That is a lame excuse at best.
Many of the inspectors teach these classes. The inspectors have access to the licensee directory (as does anyone - public information)...see where that's heading?

I am constantly bombarded with flyers for the code update classes. I have never been to ANY classes/seminars from ANY of these companies.

Does the Board actually keep tabs on EVERYONE who renews??

Does the IRS keep tabs on everyone who works/pays taxes?

It's russian roulette. The Board can audit ANY EC to check for compliance with the law at anytime. You get audited and you don't have the proper paperwork (and don't try and lie, the instructors are required to take attendance and forward same to the Board) - you are BUSTED.

Check the minutes from the Board's meetings and see for yourself: http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/electric/minutes/archive.htm
State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
Minutes Archive Page

I think your friend should contact the Board ASAP and PDQ to avoid anything "unpleasent".

PS - Use of the word "you" is NOT directed to the OP. It is used merely as a general term.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 04:28 AM
A pal just got an 80 euro 'on the spot' fine, on his way to the municipal dump, for-------
Having his little home-made trash-trailer's license plate fixed with screws and not the required-by-Euro-law pop-rivets.

Arrrrrrggghhhh!! What's happening to us!!!

We may be backward rednecks in Florida but a tag wired on with THHN (or whatever you have) is perfectly legal here. They don't even title trailers. I have seen "lost tag" and a number painted on the back of a trailer and it was clear they repainted the trailer, leaving the sign on the original faded paint.
We are really more "tags optional" I guess.
We can also carry guns and there is no license required to drive a 70 MPH boat

... but they censor Benny Hill.

Go figure
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 03:47 PM
Harold:
Thanks for the CEU update news.

Les:
Suzanne has a few Seminars, and I saw an offering for CEU (EC) classes in a flyer, probably NJECA, or one of the County Assoc.

Celtic:
Thanks for the info for Attic Rat; perfect reply.

Roger:
You may not be aware, but our new Gov. has a big budget problem; briefly, all the NJ politicians get 'bashed' in the media every day; Guys, there's no need for bashing here!

John
Posted By: Celtic Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 11:12 PM
Maybe we should of all met up at one of these classes (update, CEU, or other)?

See ya' in 3 years...LOL [Linked Image]
Posted By: LK Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/09/06 11:33 PM
Just remember to check, before quoting jobs, for any increases in construction premit fees, due to the budget problems, many towns will be forced to increase these fees.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/10/06 12:08 AM
LK,

it's not due to budget problems, it's because it's an incredible revenue source for the towns. When the permit fees were first instituted, they were we supposed to be enough just to cover the costs of performing the inspections. But then, the towns realized that they could put the money in the general fund. It's essentially another tax. One town around here charges $71/100A service, $115/150A service and around$145/200A service. Tell me what the differnce in the inspection is? Why is there a difference in the inspection fees? Because they can.

Sorry to sound angry, but I am. Taxes are going through the roof everywhere. All of us in NJ feel it (from property taxes to auto insurance) Now they want to raise our sales tax to 7%.

I don't know about you, but we do electrical contracting, we don't print money. So every time a tax is raised, or a fee is raised, I have to get that money from somewhere. Typically it's our customers.

When does it end?
Posted By: LK Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/10/06 12:36 AM
I understand your concerns, but the state is cutting the amount they give the towns, for those services, in my town it costs them an additional 20% to 30% to run the construction department, they loose money, not make it, and now, with the cuts, it may be more, so they will have to, pass on the expenses, in the form of fee increases, and yes it goes in the general fund, and the operating expenses for construction department also comes out of the general fund.

I check now before quoting permit fees, and yes i was shocked, to find a servive upgrade permit, that was $52, is now $100.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 04-09-2006).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/10/06 01:54 AM
I imagine George can plug in real numbers but I doubt the municipality is making a dime on the permits ... if they are doing their job. Just pushing the paper through could easily be $100.
The state figured out it was cheaper to pay the county than it was to compete with them with in house permits.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Note for 'Jersey Guys' - 04/23/06 05:03 PM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I lost this post and couldn't find it. I took my course with Suzanne in Parsippany. You have to look in the books that Rutgers sends us for our AHJ, CEU's.

John, I let my EC lic. go on the inactive list cause, I don't have time for contracting nor want to pay for the bond and ins. when I wouldn't use it.
© ECN Electrical Forums