ECN Forum
Posted By: fish on would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 09:15 PM
if a 40 year old looking for a career change
came to you looking to get into the trade and
was in great physical shape and was very
mechanically inclined, would you hire him?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 09:27 PM
Legally I am not sure how you could NOT hire him if he met all the qualifications.
40 isn't even that old. I am almost 60 and I can usually work the kids into the ground.
My company nearly hired a 72 year-old, but that's pushing it.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 09:37 PM
Not to bring up a sex issue here, but I know alot of 40 yr old women who could work a kid in the ground..

40 isn't old at all, we're just hitting our prime..

Dnk..
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 09:59 PM
Two words:

Age discrimination.
Posted By: WFO Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 10:11 PM
Attitude over age.
If he's willing to work, yeah, I'd hire him.
Two more words:

Work ethic.
Posted By: Roger Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/23/06 11:48 PM
Absolutely! I have worked with many 40, 50, and even 60 year olds that carry their weight and then some.

Roger
Posted By: electure Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 12:44 AM
You might just find he's just the guy you've been looking for.

For a real oldtimer, check out Martin!
Posted By: mahlere Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 12:56 AM
the only issue is financial. Can the 40 yr old take a pay cut while he is learning the trade? He'll probably have journeyman bills, but he'll get an apprentice wage.

We have on apprentice who was around 45, but he did not pick it up quick enough earn the wages he needed to cover his bills.

that's the toughest part.
From the descripton it sure sounds like a good hire.
As far as I am concerned you should be able to hire or fire anyone at any time for any reason you see fit if you are the owner of a business.
I think most folks get into the trade too young!

For me, the perfect 'time line' would be someone who:
Has worked some construction and maintenance jobs, and thus has some idea as to how a job is run, and a basic knowledge of a few other trades (like patching drywall);
Has some experience away from home, so he understand how the world works, and isn't only focused on tonights' party;
Has had some sort of job where the pay/success depended upon people skills, making the customer happy, and being self-motivated; and,
Has shown a determination to learn something after leaving high school.

Add all this up, and chances are you're looking at someone on the far side of thirty, and with some time in the service!

Our trade relies less upon brute strength and agility- and more upon maturity and judgement- than most other trades.
Posted By: LK Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 01:53 AM
Our best hires, were all 40 plus.
Posted By: bot540 Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 02:21 AM
One of the biggest problems I've seen with this and it happens almost every time(really) is that older people have a real hard time taking direction from a younger person. Especially if its a like 20s something foreman or on-site manager. Usually it becomes a real struggle lead this person, not alway just most of the time.
Hi gang Steve here. As a 46 year old 3rd year apprentice ill say anyone over 40 give them a shot. I always wanted to do electrical work even in the navy as a gunnersmate we did some electrical work.When the machine shop i was in closed I knew it was time for a change. Now with 4200 hours and 300 hours of code class my boss wont let me go for nothing. Hes even 13 years younger than me. Give them a shot,might just be the right person your looking for
I wouldn't hold his youth against him. [Linked Image]
Posted By: macmikeman Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 08:22 AM
Give the kid a break and hire him. And you will get your time. If you don't think its coming just remember that it wasn't long ago that your mommy was wiping up your behind. And it won't be long before you are forty also. Unless you are such a whippersnapper that you walk right in front of a bus.
The thing you said is he is in great shape and mechanically inclined, so what is the problem junior? Has he got wrinkles?. Did he loose some hair? Give him a job and treat him with respect.
Posted By: pauluk Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 12:41 PM
If he's happy with the pay and suitable for the job in all other respects, then why not?

(Speaking as somebody who just hit 40 a couple of weeks ago..... [Linked Image] )
I agree with the above, if his attitude is right it sounds like he's got some good qualifications.

(Happy Birthday Paul!)
[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Roger Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 02:56 PM
Happy belated birthday Paul.

Roger
I used to think 50 was "old." For some reason, I no longer do (I was born in 1956).

Guy's 40 and just entering the trade? I can't speak for others, but I did lots of things between high school and 40- it's not like I sat around just whistling Dixie! And- sometimes the strangest things turn out to be useful.
There are many good thoughts coming out here. My own experience has been one of happy rewards after returning to EC work at (nearly) age 60. I became a journeyman in 1968 and worked for a couple of years for a very nice Company, but the powerful lure of aviation took me away from it up until about 6 months ago when I went "part time and a half" into my own business for something to keep me occupied. I don't regret it one bit and although I sometimes feel like an apprentice at times because of all the changes I have to absorb, I've found that I can still keep up with the young guys on most sites. Things have certainly changed in that time and it seems a lot easier now than it was in 1968. There is so much new stuff out there to make our jobs simple and quicker.

Sometimes the younger guys (and gals for that matter - who'd a thunk it in 1968) think I'm too grumpy about "workmanship" stuff but I do get compliments on the quality of the stuff I do. That came from my background as a farm kid and apprenticing under an "old" grumpy master electrician myself. He would yell at me if the staple ears punched more than a millimeter into the stud when stapling NM, for example. I thought he was really, really old at the time - he was 51 in 1968.

So I hope I haven't offended anyone about aging - I think age is like a fine wine, it gets better with time and experience.

BTW, I'm considering taking on an apprentice myself now but I am worried that this young, enthusiastic 19 year old will think I'm the grumpy and fussy one now, so it's kind of held me back from committing to him. He even admits I'm grumpy and fussy but says that is exactly what he's looking for. (Unfortunately, he is usually smiling when he says that).

What to do, what to do?

Cheers,
Dave
Posted By: Trumpy Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/24/06 11:49 PM
Personally I would have no compunction whatsoever about hiring a guy of 40.
The guy would have a bit of "life experience" behind him at that stage, something that a lot of younger people sadly lack when starting out.
40?

Bloody infantile whippersnappers!

Stand aside saplings- This looks like a job for Superannuationman!

sings, in a deep, male, voice-

O, my Teeth are like the Stars,
They come out at Night!

(COUGH)

Nurse!! Is it time for my cocoa yet?

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/25/06 01:46 PM
(Happy Birthday Paul!)

Happy belated birthday Paul.

Thanks guys! [Linked Image]
Posted By: bigrockk Re: would you hire a 40 year old helper ? - 03/25/06 05:55 PM
Alan Belson,
I must say that I do appreciate your posts, they usually give me at minimum a good chuckle if not a good belly laugh. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums