ECN Forum
Posted By: Dnkldorf Motion sensor/photocell - 03/14/06 09:01 PM
I am having a bad day......

This is what I got. I had the landscapers build me a column at the end of my driveway. I was intent on putting a motion detector/photo cell combo in the column. This way the lights on the front of my house and the driveway lights could come on automatically with the photocell for a given time, and then go out. Then If I came home late, when I pulled in, the motion sensor would trip and the lights would come on.

I can't seem to find such a device, that is outdoor rated for a Sg box....

I need help on this one...

Anyone done this or seen such a thing?

I would ideally like to match the pewter block..(not asking too much) [Linked Image]

Dnk....
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/14/06 09:54 PM
Big box stores have replacement detector heads with 1/2 inch male hubs that might work. They are for the regular flood lights that go on the outside of a building. I mounted the lights up near the peak of my garage for maximum spread but didn't want to climb way up there to make adjustments to the detector so I remote mounted it on a box 8 feet below where a short ladder can be used. They come in white or black.
Alan--
Posted By: Rewired Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/14/06 10:07 PM
Those heads that Allan mentioned... I find the ones made by " Heath Zenith" to be about the only ones that work properly... I reccomend that brand if you can find them
A.D
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/14/06 10:50 PM
Not them kind fellas, that would look ugly sticking out of a column...

Not a head like flood lights, but more like a indoor occupancy sensor that fits into a SG box. But has a photocell built into it..

But are they made for outdoor use?

My google, googled my brain. Maybe I'm typing in the wrong info for search....Ugh

Dnk...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 12:39 AM
Dink...look at the motion sensor light switches a bit closer....most of them have a photosensor built in, so they will operate lights only at a certain, settable level of darkness.

Of course, you would still need a timer wired in parallel for the "constant on" period. While they make one that fits in a switchplate, and they claim to have fixed the bugs...well, the early ones were junk.
Posted By: LK Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 12:44 AM
Dnk,

What will the total load be, with all the lights?
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 12:58 AM
les, less than 500W, maybe 300....

Dnk...
Posted By: LK Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 01:37 AM
Ok the reason i ask is the sensors usually don't hold up with 150W max, you may want to use a contactor, i have X10 control for all lighting, i turn on the lights in driveway, or back of house, from car, or trucks, with key fobs, works great, and less hard wiring.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 02:08 AM
Les, a contactor wouldn't be out of the question, just finding the unit I'm looking for is being the hard part...

Dnk..
Posted By: WFO Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 02:49 AM
Probably a stupid remark on my part, but make sure you don't put it where your headlights turn the darn thing off.
Posted By: caselec Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 02:57 AM
The closest thing that comes to mind is the RAB STUFF500. I’m sure that it is still bigger and uglier than you want. http://rabweb.com/common/specSheet/index.php?product=STUFF500

Curt
Posted By: venture Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 04:13 AM
I installed some Leviton occupancy sensors that would most likely work. Sensitivity and time adjustable. Round and white but could be painted. Rod
Posted By: Tom H Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 12:57 PM
Hey Dnk

The easiest but unfortunately expensive is programmable control system. Lutron Homeworks etc.

However I did the exact same thing for a Radio Ra system I installed last spring. I'm gonna assume you dont have either a control or Ra system, so I'm gonna adapt my solution to [can't believe I'm saying this] X-10.

Install a hidden 12*12*4 pvc pull box away from the pillar. In it use an x-10 switch to control the load. On the same circuit mounted to the cover of the pull box use a Leviton x-10 photocell. It is adjustable to shut off after x hours. In parallel with the x-10 switch install a relay. Control that relay with the driveway pillar sensor. In line with that sensor install a standard photocell if needed so as not to turn on lights during day. This last one I needed to do because we used a standard driveway sensor with no settings. If I can find pics i will post for you.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 04:59 PM
I would go down to ADI and present my problem down there. They have access to bundles of goodies for exactly what you need.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 05:20 PM
Why does the photosensor and motion detector have to be at the light.Why can,t a photocell be mounted at the house to overide a local motion sensor?
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/15/06 05:36 PM
Look what I found.....
http://www.rabweb.com/product_detail.php?product=SB500W

Looks like it would work..

Dnk...
Posted By: e57 Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/16/06 02:00 AM
This way the lights on the front of my house and the driveway lights could come on automatically with the photocell for a given time, and then go out. Then If I came home late, when I pulled in, the motion sensor would trip and the lights would come on.

Dnk, the operation of that one on the link will be "on by motion after dark only" unless over-ridden by a timeclock for the initial "On" period seperately. (If thats OK?) You would only need one extra wire...
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/16/06 01:45 PM
E57, that's kinda my thinking now.
After finding this is the only motion sensor that listed for wet locations, I could take the switch out that controls the outside lights and install a intermatic wall switch timer "programable" in it's place. I can program that to turn the lights on when I want for however long I want. If I wire it in parallel with the motion sensor, the motion sensor should work when the timer goes out.

Worse case is I have to paint or find the cover for the sensor to match the block work.

Dnk...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/16/06 02:52 PM
Dink....those motion sensing light switches may not be listed for "outdoors," but they see right through a 'bubble cover' just fine!
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Motion sensor/photocell - 03/16/06 03:03 PM
John, would they act/respond the same?

The bubble cover wouldn't impead on the design characteristics of the motion sensor?

I've never tried that....

And the bubble cover wouldn't look neat, unless somehow it was recessed in the wall, I think it would protrude out...

Dnk..
© ECN Electrical Forums