ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Payment overdue? - 12/11/01 12:02 PM
Twice in the past month I was asked if payment could be deferred. Since both came from my Church newsletter, I figured it would be okay. One was last night and since I have to return on Saturday, they said I'll have a check then. I feel okay with them. The other one was a guy who said his wife had the checkbook and he would send me payment ($180.00). It's been 2 weeks. Should I call yet?
Does everyone here demand COD?
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Payment overdue? - 12/11/01 01:42 PM
I think I would send him a registered letter with the bill enclosed. That way you have proof that a bill was sent and it was signed for as having been received. And keep those copies in a file.
Just a thought.
Posted By: sparky Re: Payment overdue? - 12/11/01 10:56 PM
Most T&M billing is done net 30 days. Most are either sending statements or calling, just like your normal household bills, lights, heat etc.

I've defered, but only as arranged. I've made a percentage/time deal with some who have a real estate deal cooking.

I've purposely walked into a full business and audibly slapped a bill down on the front counter. ( particularly effective after a muddy cobwebbed job) Nothing works as well as publicly embarassing someone, people hate it!
Loudly proclaiming that they "Are taking the food out of my childrens mouths" with bill in hand is not at all illegal ,
(It does not slander them..) and will instantly gain a response from any in earshot, if only having them squirm .

A fella's gotta have some fun.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiffany Sparks Re: Payment overdue? - 12/12/01 01:35 PM
Slow or no payment can really make life a bit more stressful.
It may help to have a "notice" printed on the estimate....
*Payment is due when work is completed*

As in nearly every other industry, can you as contractors charge interest on over due bills after 30 days?

Had to call only one place three times, otherwise, most pay on time, the same day the work is completed.

For larger jobs, we ask that payment for materials be up front. (this amount based on the estimated cost) then if there is a difference it is covered or paid back (if over paid) when the job is complete.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Payment overdue? - 12/12/01 01:36 PM
I got paid yesterday. 2 weeks, 1 day.
I decide that 30 days will be my trigger for the nasty stuff.
© ECN Electrical Forums