ECN Forum
Posted By: circuit man secondary neutral - 03/07/06 12:45 AM
ok here is one that really has me puzzled.you have a 3 phase 14400 volt primary with no neutral.you feed a single phase dual bushing 7.2/14.4 pri to 120/240 secondary transformer. where do you get the system neutral? i know that the secondary has a midpoint & is also grounded to the can & pole. but what keeps this in line so to speak? THANKS!
Posted By: e57 Re: secondary neutral - 03/07/06 01:03 AM
"i know that the secondary has a midpoint & is also grounded to the can & pole."
You answered your own question....

"but what keeps this in line so to speak?"
From floating nuetral? There could be some float due to sever phase unbalace, but not by much.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: secondary neutral - 03/07/06 05:48 AM
It doesn't really matter what the primary side is doing. But all you really want and need is good grounding of your neutral on the secondary side. That gets done at the pole, and also all the service entrances.

If the secondary wasn't tied to ground, capacitive coupling thru the transformer to the primary would create a substantial fraction of the primary voltage to appear on the secondary. Relatively high impedance, but more than enough to electrocute someone.
Posted By: pauluk Re: secondary neutral - 03/08/06 09:09 AM
Different voltage levels, but that's how all our transformers are wired in England, as we never have a neutral distributed with the HV lines.
Posted By: Radar Re: secondary neutral - 03/08/06 04:36 PM
where do you get the system neutral? . . . i know that the secondary has a midpoint & is also grounded
The grounded mid-point is your neutral, by definition. No (intended) connection between the primary and the secondary electrical systems.

Radar
© ECN Electrical Forums