ECN Forum
Posted By: normel Underground fault - 03/04/06 11:58 PM
Need help in troubleshooting the following: Outdoor circuit from GCI receptacle to light switch (for pool light), on to two receptacles, all wiring between each is buried 12/2 w/g UF. When powered up, GFCI trips but after 15 sec to 5 minutes. I have isolated the fault to the wires between the switch and receptacle, but am perplexed as to why the delay in tripping the GFCI. Would a nick in the neutral insulation be causing this?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 02:46 AM
That, or leakage from the lights. The delay could, in part, be related to temperatuse changes...or a 'borderline' fault that is very close to the trip level of the GFI.

I think it's time to get a megger and do some serious testing.
Posted By: normel Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 02:53 AM
It's not the lights. It will still trip with them out of the circuit. The suspect length of wire will trip the GFCI with nothing connected to the end. A nick is what I suspect, but am surprised by the variable times on the GFCI tripping.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 04:39 AM
Megger cable first, 500 Vdc

Ph to Neutral.
Ph to Earth
Neutr to Earth
and from each individual core to ground, to establish if it's external damage

Have both ends disconnected,

Is it a screened cable?

or 2 or 3 core with no screen.

then fault locaion is easy.

POPIE for an earth fault or Thumper for internal cable fault.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 09:47 AM
A TDR would also be handy.

A good one is pricy. But they jump through these kinds of challenges.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 09:49 PM
If this is under soil and not concrete, try this. Go to your nearest Big Orange store at about 7:00 am. Locate a couple of fellows hanging around the front area who dress and look like they are from outside your county line. I promise they will work at an affordable rate. Have them re-dig the thing and this time you can put in pvc and upgrade the whole shebang for the customer. Make sure though when you hire your new helpers, that you follow all state and federal hiring laws and also make sure that you have the proper workmans comp and other required insurance in place. This will probably be a less costly solution than trying to TDR the wire and locate a nick, unless you have ready access to the equipment.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 10:28 PM
Mac..your profile says you're based in Hawaii. I've been to Hawaii; quite the cross-roads where Occident meets Orient.
Just what does "from across the county line" look like there?
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 11:07 PM
Is Home Depot offering casual labour a new thing in the US?

Here where I am in Canada (Winnipeg MB) they don't do it. I can't even find service staff in the store (except at the checkout register) at that time of the morning.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Underground fault - 03/05/06 11:56 PM
Merly pointing out a time tested value packed way to get the fix in without resorting to a lot of test equippment and head scratching. Some days I can see across the county line from my window, but it is 27 miles across deep ocean so I can't quite see what they look like over there.
Posted By: e57 Re: Underground fault - 03/06/06 12:29 AM
From what I understand picking up "casual labor" in London = finding a desperate American looking to work for the summer. [Linked Image]
Guess it's the same world 'round?

Anyway back to the TOPIC....

Try the circuit (for testing purposes only) without the GFI and test for current.

No current.... Try a new GFI.

If all else fails, cut the power, grab the wire and aggressively rip it out of the ground. This will loosen the soil plenty for its replacement. (Without the casual labor)
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Underground fault - 03/06/06 02:26 AM
deffinitly a nick in the wire . The more moture the quicker the trip.
Phil
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Underground fault - 03/06/06 12:29 PM
Macsmikeman, so you would be looking for two guys in 'frogmen' outfits, dragging an inflatable dinghy?
Posted By: LK Re: Underground fault - 03/06/06 11:49 PM
Am i missing something, or did he say, the cable was going to the pool light?, would it be a good idea, to put that in pipe?
Posted By: circuit man Re: Underground fault - 03/07/06 01:02 AM
this will proably sound stupid but have had it happen. look for a fire ant bed near where the wire may run.they did this my fathers wood shop.they eat the insulation off of a 10/2 wgr uf cable. this was causing a 30 amp square D breaker to trip after a few minutes.found the ant hill ,dug it up & found about 3 inches of bare wire.as a matter of fact the ground was rather warm too.buried a new wire & have no problems since. weird huh?
Posted By: caselec Re: Underground fault - 03/07/06 03:40 AM
I agree with Les here. If this UF cable is supplying underwater swimming pool lighting repairing the cable is not an option. UF cable has never been a permitted wiring method for pool lights.

Curt
Posted By: briselec Re: Underground fault - 03/07/06 07:30 AM
look for a fire ant bed near where the wire may run.they did this my fathers wood shop.they eat the insulation off of a 10/2 wgr uf cable.

Finding fire ants here means calling in the government. Otherwise you cop a big fine for disturbing them.
Posted By: normel Re: Underground fault - 03/07/06 08:35 PM
The UF cable is not running to the pool light, it is feeding the switch that controls the pool light. The fault is in the UF that runs from the switch to two receptacles about 20 yds from the switch. I know I will have to replace that part of the wiring, but I was curious about the slow tripping of the GFCI. I would expect an instantaneous trip.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Underground fault - 03/07/06 09:19 PM
Fire-ants are a protected species in Oz? !!!

Had this 'delayed trip' response on a central-heating boiler located in its own boiler room adjacent to the house. The delays in tripping varied from a few seconds to several minutes. Tried everything from new boiler stats, isolation switches etc, spraying the boiler electrics with damp proofer aerosol, ripping out the wiring, the lot. Eventually solved the problem. It was a faulty RCD unit. I'm not saying this is the cause here, but try a new gfci before digging up the cable.

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 03-07-2006).]
Posted By: earlydean Re: Underground fault - 03/08/06 12:30 AM
Take a look at 680.23(F)(2) for the insulated equipment grounding conductor for the pool light.
© ECN Electrical Forums