ECN Forum
Posted By: CRW Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 08:55 AM
Anybody here ever work at a nuclear power plant for a shutdown job? I just started at a job this week, so far I've just been in access processing and classes, the actual work should be soon. Any experiences to talk about?
Posted By: togol Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 02:43 PM
.. if you like to stay "busy", you are most likely going to be disappointed, frustrated and annoyed with the speed at which some jobs move along..........very slow pace at times
Posted By: Radar Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 02:50 PM
No doubt lots & lots & lots of bureaucratic red tape. Not at all what you would call a fast track job.
Posted By: XtheEdgeX Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 03:55 PM
I've worked a few nuke shutdowns around the US. What type of info are you looking for?
Posted By: Rick Kelly Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 08:56 PM
Quite possibly the most annoying part of the day will be when they make you stand naked in a dark room to see how much you glow.

Seriously... let us know how it went will ya.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/03/06 09:40 PM
No, but I found this nuclear power plant simulator demo:
http://www.ae4rv.com/store/nuke_pc.htm

Tom
Posted By: CRW Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/05/06 06:19 PM
Still just a bunch of classes and tests. Maybe I'll have my access badge later this week...I'm getting paid anyway!
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/05/06 08:44 PM
I just played that demo game and I think that I caused another Chenoble. LOL
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/05/06 11:54 PM
Never worked one myself but talked to guy who did once. He said they ended up leaving their truck inside the plant and getting a ride from one of the plant supervisors every night. Took security 4 hours to go though the truck inspecting and weighing it, in and out every day.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/06/06 03:27 AM
Day crew - puts up 40' pipe
Night crew - takes down 20' pipe

Lather, rinse, repeat....for 7 days a week for 12 hrs a day until the pipe actually gets from point "A" to point "B".
Posted By: XtheEdgeX Re: Nuke plant shutdown - 03/06/06 04:51 PM
Each nuke I've worked on have all operated a little differently, but I've never encountered any of the things commented on so far.
One word of advice though. When you dress out in your pc's, there should be a dressing area where you can put on a pair of shorts underneath them and leave your other clothes in a locker. One time on a nuke in Arkansas, I needed to go into the reactor building just for a few minutes to get a measurement on something. I left my clothes on underneath, and when I came out, my clothes were "crapped up". Meaning I had radioactive material on my clothes. The tech and myself, could not get it off and I ended up losing all my clothes. I had to wear a pair of bright yellow XXXL paper coveralls the rest of the day, and it was about 29* outside.
© ECN Electrical Forums