ECN Forum
Posted By: John_Ross help - 03/02/06 03:18 PM
i am an electrician working in England but would like to move to California any information anyone has that could help me would be much appreciated
Posted By: Radar Re: help - 03/02/06 03:22 PM
Buy some sun-block?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Radar

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 03-02-2006).]
Posted By: macmikeman Re: help - 03/02/06 04:16 PM
It would probably help to learn some of the native language (spanish).
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: help - 03/02/06 04:47 PM
Don't you guys drive on the wrong side of the road over there? [Linked Image]

Dnk..
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: help - 03/02/06 08:54 PM
Emigrating to the US you need, as a Brit, to have a skill the country needs, or close relatives already there, or win a 'green card' in the annual "lottery", or enter under the E-2 system by buying a business which you will manage. All fraught with stress, with no % certainty of success in any method.
Emigrating anywhere, I'd suggest you take an extended holiday, to see if it's what you really want. After a few months you will know if living surrounded by foreign, [ no offence intended, dear chaps! ], methods, lingo, food and lifestyle still attracts.
Best of luck, anyway.

Dnk: No, you do!

Alan
Posted By: gfretwell Re: help - 03/02/06 09:56 PM
California sounds like a hard place to start as a "foreign electrician with the new licensing
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: help - 03/02/06 10:13 PM
And I suppose we have the funny accents too Alan?

Dnk...
Posted By: LK Re: help - 03/02/06 10:31 PM
Just bring lots of money, you will need it to survive in Ca., I live in the US and i was in shock to see the cost of living there.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: help - 03/03/06 12:13 AM
John, if you have ANY credentials attesting to your qualifications, or membership in trade groups....the local union hall just might be able to smooth your way.

I agree with the idea of visiting first, then taking it from there. When the time comes, you might even be able to use ECN to find a local party to contact.

Canadian electric is rather similar to ours- yat, as a former "member in good standing" of the Empire, you'll likely get a much warmer reception there.
© ECN Electrical Forums