ECN Forum
Posted By: nov remodel box cutter system - 02/18/06 12:40 AM
does anyone have one of these http://www.pythontools.com it seems like a great and well made tool little expensive though
Posted By: bot540 Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/18/06 01:23 AM
Wow! That thing looks awsome. A little exspensive and bulky. I don't think I would want to hall that into someones house for just cutting in a few outlets, maybe a dozen cans.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/18/06 04:34 PM
I will have my helper just hold the shop vac hose under me while i cut the wall , we can call it dust free for free!! What a scam more crap to carry around and im sure those tempplates will lose their shape after time.
Posted By: Celtic Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/18/06 05:40 PM
I'll stick with my rotozip/cordless vac setup....sure it "costs" more per hole (60 cents vs.$22.90 )....but I can use each tool for other purposes...so maybe it actually "costs" less ($595 - Perfect Cutter vs. $130 - Rotozip/$100 and Cordless vac/$30).
Posted By: Joey D Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/18/06 08:23 PM
I bet I can cut holes with the roto zip twice as fast. I cut through a angled head vac attachment for a dust free job
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/19/06 04:32 PM
I love when someone points out something new. It is immediately dismissed. Hillarious.
Posted By: Wireless Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/19/06 06:15 PM
electricman,
I know what you mean every time I go into the supply house looking for something new they look at me like I'm crazy. They don't even consider stocking them because no one will touch it.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/19/06 06:51 PM
I really like the idea behind this product. I find the accuracy of your holes to make a real difference, and cut-in boxes have just enough things poking out to make any simple rectanglular hole somewhat sloppy- resulting in a box that can wiggle in the hole.
In short, as I see it, it is the templates that make the system.

Integral dust collection is also a plus; on some jobs, it's simply critical. I've had ninnies complain about "dust in the air" hours after cutting a single hole with a hand saw- even though I vacuumed immediately!
Likewise, not every vacuum will survive an encounter with gypsum dust.

As for powered cutters, I have had mixed results. Some throw a LOT of dust into the air. The Dremel just doesn't seem to have enough power. All of them make it far to easy to either cut into a pipe in the wall, or straddle a stud with your hole.

This guy just might have something really useful!
Posted By: Megawatt Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/20/06 05:31 PM
http://www.toolsforless.com/product/7017.html
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/20/06 10:09 PM
My take is that his gadget is a nice $200-$300 tool--that's a price at which he might sell a bunch. At what he wants for it, I suspect that he isn't going to get a whole lot of sales.
Posted By: Wireless Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/21/06 03:16 AM
They sell a cheaper version without the Vac for 300 I think.
Posted By: Celtic Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/21/06 04:53 AM

I love when someone points out something new. It is immediately dismissed. Hillarious

What's hilarious - the product or the replies/comments [Linked Image]

The thing might be useful for some people - some people are already satisfied with their tool stock.

Have a look at this "new" tool: http://www.koinstruments.com/ecm_press.asp

[Linked Image from koinstruments.com]

The CBA-1000 identifies potential fire and safety hazards that may be present in electrical branch circuits and verifies the safe operation of 120 VAC 15 and 20 Amp circuit breakers.

What's your take on this?
Posted By: Joey D Re: remodel box cutter system - 02/21/06 01:18 PM
Can you cut a recpt in baseboard with that thing?
Most homes that still have wood lathe and plaster have the existing recpts in the baseboard. I always match whats there as mounting in the baseboard is a more solid mount and looks cleaner.
© ECN Electrical Forums