ECN Forum
Posted By: Clydesdale I want to get into commercial work - 02/16/06 05:03 AM
What's the best way to get into commercial work? I seem to have trouble convincing the guy interviewing me that I can learn it even though I have very little experience. I currently run my own jobs(residential new construction). my boss checks my work and it's on to the next one. I just started bending pipe and I know good and well that if I was exposed to pipe every day, that it wouldn't be long(relatively speaking) before I became highly skilled at it. I work for another contractor nights, and weekends, so I put in more hours than most guys which is why I believe my learning curve seems to be higher than most....ok..i hate to hype myself up...but I suppose I am only trying to phsyche myself up for the next interview.

Can anyone give me hints on how to sell myself more evffectively?

I have 3 years experience.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/16/06 06:51 AM
Switch employers. Commercial is boatloads of fun to learn. You will not often get to thread and bend much 4"grc on a residential job. Or hookup transformers and switchgear. Pay attention when working on lighting fixtures, some of them will be at 277 volts and take it from me, it hurts to get shocked from that guy. If you live out in the sticks though you are not going to get exposed to that much of commercial so location plays a big factor. Good luck and happy bending.
Posted By: Mash Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/16/06 08:25 AM
Consider this. If you are an employer what is easier, 1 change you to commercial and have to get a good residential guy (2 people to train) or just get a commercial guy to train, (1 guy to train) sometimes if you are good at your job people dont want to move you. But they may rethink it if you were going to leave, no one wants to lose good people!
Posted By: e57 Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/16/06 09:10 AM
"Can anyone give me hints on how to sell myself more evffectively?"

Just be honest about about what you know, and what you dont, and what you want to learn. People really like that!
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 02:10 AM
just be honest. Tell it like it is. explain WHY you want to switch to commercial. What ever you do -do not inflate your talents! you will be found out. I have been doing commercial for the last 21 years and find it loads of fun. Every job is different, a much more array of materials, and equipment.
I enjoy the challenge of finding a way to make it happen.

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 02-16-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 02:40 AM
Experience is fine- but your experience is limited by what your employer throws your way.

Education is also critical...especially if you want to get into the parts of the trade that can't be learned by rote.

If, in three years, your employer has not seen fit to enroll you in a formal apprentice program, with structured classes in the evening...well, you really deserve a better employer.

In lasting three years, you've shown a fair amount of reliability and stability- traits that are in demand. Soone spring will be here, and the seasonal work will pick up. Now is the time to approach various employers, setting the stage for moving over when work picks up.

I'd write prospective employers a note, explaining your experience and goals....and asking if they would consider talking to you in person. It worked for me.....
Posted By: Clydesdale Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 03:16 AM
Thank you for the input!

I am currently enrolled in a formal apprencticeship program, so that's covered. Also...I live in Connecticut, so there is quite a bit of commercial work around here.

I feel a lot better about pursuing a job in commercial.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 04:25 AM
My advice is don't let this slip out in the interview:
I just started bending pipe

Also desired pay may be a factor. Sometimes you have to take a step back befor you go forward. You might offer to take a lower than normal pay to get started and prove yourself.

Tom
Posted By: mahlere Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 11:42 AM
i agree with active1. we get candidates all the time who are strictly resi, they want to get into commercial, but lack all the necessary skills. Yet, when I indicate that they will have to take a lower pay scale for a little while, they refuse and can't understand. I mean their bills aren't changing.

I attempt to explain that they may have 4-5-6 yrs experience in resi and can work with limited supervision. but they lack experience on comm and will take longer to perform tasks than they should. it's vicious.

but if you really want to get into commercial, be willing to sacrifice for a short period of time 1 to 6 months (depending on your learning curve)

find a good employer, work with them and they will work with you.

good luck.
Posted By: mshaw Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/17/06 12:56 PM
Residential and commercial electric are worlds apart. If you want to get into commercial electric. Take the pay cut and get with a commercial E/C and get into an accrediated journeyman program. A commercial E/C puts less weight on your residentail experience and more on if you show up for work and work hard. It is easier to train someone who knows nothing than change someone who thinks they know a lot.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/18/06 12:36 AM
One of the functions of an apprenticeship program is to see that the apprentices rotate among different types of work, usually through different employers. Don't be afraid to talk to your program director.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/18/06 04:41 PM
Watch taking a lower pay, I did such years ago when i had changed over from resi. I already had some light comm. exp. and took the lower pay. Beleive me i more then proved my self over the next few months to the point of just being given a list and going and getting it done. Passing inspections no problem. When it came time for the up in pay no go, this is how they rope you in and get cheap labor!!! stand clear get what your worth. The east coast is very differant from the west and central states pay does matter!
Posted By: Active 1 Re: I want to get into commercial work - 02/18/06 06:37 PM
Once you learn some of the comercial basics like bending, metal studs, material, equipment, etc. then you can ask for more $. Otherwise go ahead and look for another comercial place. At least then you would have some comercial experiance. The key is to get your foot in the door.

Just like an non experianced person that wants to be an electrician. Some may find it difficult to get started. But if you say the pay rate is not as important as getting started you will get a job much faster.

Think of it this way. Many people pay huge money for an education. On top of that they have to cover living expences. A number of graduates have a student loan to pay for many years. In the trades it tends to be different. You hopefully learn on the job while getting paid. Some places will even send you to classes and pay for it.

Now look at it from the emploiers point of view. Are you better paying a JW that should know what to do in a reasonable amount of time without mistakes. Or a newbe for 1/2 as much that takes 2 times as long to do the same job. The cost to perform the same fuction may be the same. The disadvantage of the newbe is the work quality may not be as good, more chances of mistakes, damage, injury, and they should be supervised more closely.

The only advantages of hireing a newbe are:
A. They are doing more unskilled phiscal work when a JW is not needed but it also will mean less of a chance to learn.

B. The newbe is faster, does not take twice as long as a JW with reasonable quality, and no major mistakes

C. The newbe is paid less then half a JW.

D. I hate this the worst. When an emploier will just use only apprentaces. Drop em off at a job till they are done. Then fix what is taggeg or does not work. Not only will you not learn so much you will probibly learn things wrong. Because not one person on the crew seen the inside of the NEC but one herd from another that the code was this.

I mean no offence to people just starting and there are some great workers out there and some bad JW too. Just tring to explain the business side of it too.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 02-18-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums