ECN Forum
Posted By: IndySteel Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/15/06 08:11 PM
Hello,
I started the process of getting into the IBEW apprenticeship program last March. I've gone through all the meetings, test and interview which was complete in August 05.

I was told they would make a decision in Feb 06. I just called and they said they will be pushing it back again til work picks up.

Is it that bad out there? I know in Indy we have some new projects I would think the IBEW would be part of (new colts stadium, new airport wing). I'm just concerned if I get in the work will not be steady enough to actually make a living.

I'm wanting at least 40 hours if not more.

Anyways....I scored a 93.5 so hopefully I will be at the top of the list.

Thanks

IndySteel
Posted By: mahlere Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/15/06 10:26 PM
if you are looking for 40, you might be looking in the wrong place right now. There is a long wait in the NY/NJ area with 1000's of men on the bench.

For the near future, the unions will have trouble keeping everyone working. If you were already in and established with a company, you'd have a good shot at staying fairly steady.

Might not be a bad idea to look at some good merit shops. a good shop will offer many of the same things the union will, without the dues and a little steadier work situation.

good luck
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 12:44 AM
Come to Florida, you can probably start the day you get here. Money is a little weak but there is plenty of work.
Posted By: CharlieK Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 01:08 AM
Indy, don't give up, wait it out if you can. I have been in the IBEW for 25 years and have not missed any time in the last 23 years. The training you will get from the JATC is the best.

Charlie
Posted By: Redsy Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 02:03 AM
I'm sorry, Charlie. The training opportunities might be the best, but I just left a 5th year apprentice close friend who told me about a chronic problem in his local regarding stealing the test answers.
Reputable open shop apprenticeship programs exist, and the bottom line is that the responsibility of obtaining the best education from any program lies with the apprentice himself.
Moderator, I apologize, and feel free to close this thread now.
Posted By: CharlieK Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 02:26 AM
No problem Redsy. A similar problem occured here several years ago with ABC. If you had the money you got the grades.

Charlie
Posted By: Celtic Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 02:26 AM
Is it that bad out there?
Work is slow for electricans right NOW...but an awful lot of steel is going up. The Ironworkers hall's are walk throughs...electricans can't be far behind.

Come to Florida,
Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go.

...who told me about a chronic problem in his local regarding stealing the test answers.

It doesn't matter what school it is...some people will always look for the easy way out.

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 02-15-2006).]
"Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go."

It sounds like hes not been accepted yet, Ill be damned if I let anyone tell me where I can travel.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 02:57 AM
I'd tell them to get hosed too....

If I want to work, no-one would stop me....

Dnk...
Posted By: XtheEdgeX Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 03:51 AM
I agree. Lot's of work here in Florida. I've also talked to people familiar with work in the Gulf Coast, New Orleans areas, and have been told they're begging for people.
Also in Florida, we can never seem to hire enough, think we are around 80 something electricians. We have an apprentice program, seems most of the kids today dont want to work and dont like showing up for classes.
Posted By: e57 Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 09:01 AM
You have to be were the work is, Union or Merit. Spec', public works and new development work will always dry up where ever you are at the moment. (Eventualy) Large cities where things are torn down and put back up continualy in historicaly active economies are where it is at.

Currently, both my present and last employer have both had ads out for 2 months - no replies! And I haven't had less than 40, in years.

Hows it go? More pay / less hours, less pay / more hours? It all works out the same..... [Linked Image]
Same here in the DC/MD/VA metro area. With the govt being here and the constant changeover of residents and the growth there is never a shortage of work. Even in slow times elsewhere this area keeps us working, both union and non. (And FYI ... I have been teaching apprenticeship since 91 and if you only earned a 39 you got a 39 ... period)
Posted By: Redsy Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 11:39 AM
True all, dishonesty is everywhere. I apologize for implying otherwise. Again, it is up to the individual.

And BTW,
The real technical support is here at ECN!!
Learn, then earn! ;D
Posted By: IndySteel Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/16/06 01:13 PM
Everyone thanks for the info.

I can understand the slow periods during the winter months but the selection process has been postponed since August. I just think that is a long time to not have enough work.

I was told by an IBEW member that I should get into the telecommunications side of the apprenticeship bc they are lacking people there and then transfer over to electrical.
Any thoughts on that?

Also, I scored a 93.5 not a 39.

Thanks again,
IndySteel
I have jobs clear through next year. A few of state jobs too. Private contractor though, non-union. NYC.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Work to Slow to start Apprenticeships? - 02/17/06 12:28 AM
"Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go."

It sounds like hes not been accepted yet, Ill be damned if I let anyone tell me where I can travel.

I under stand those sentiments(and the others)...but...the "other" local would now be footing the bill for the training for an applicant they didn't select...or possibly have room for.

If Indy wants to be in the Union - that is his decision.
© ECN Electrical Forums