ECN Forum
Posted By: Tiger Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 02:01 PM
I'm looking for a supplier of name-brand, top-quality hot gloves for use in residential distribution panels, meter sockets, etc.. Dexterity is important.

I can do internet searches, I'm asking for responses from any who use gloves daily and know the quality. Price is not a determining factor.

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: togol Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 02:24 PM
Tiger,
W.H.Salisbury....... http://www.whsalisbury.com/ .......makes the gloves !

AND they are in Skokie

I have taken the liners out and just use the leathers when working around resi stuff, though they are just to cumbersome at times.......SSSSHH ....you can get 500v gloves,
I have 11kv

some places want FULL protection though, so gloves would be just one component....anyway,

GK011BL/9H is a 1000v blue glove with a goatskin leather ....in a canvas bag

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 02-12-2006).]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-12-2006).]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 02:53 PM
Dexteritiy takes a back seat to safety when talking gloves...a person who uses gloves with some regularity will "adjust" to working with them on.

When I say "gloves", I mean rubbers AND leathers. The leathers are there to protect the rubbers which protect the user. The rubbers should be tested every 6 months (it may be 3 months, I forget as I haven't been "regular" in many years ~ and no, I'm not "irregular" you wise guys! ) by a qualified testing company.

I am partial to White gloves ( http://www.whitesafetyline.com/index.html ).

This style glove is what I typically use on a service tie-in:
[Linked Image from whitesafetyline.com]
Mine is a 12" style.

EDIT: Mine are rated at 5kv, and I have used them at times on voltages upto 4160v.

For working in a panel, I assume everything is "hot" and proceed with extreme caution...I'm not sure I could even feel a #10 with those gloves on.

With gloves, care and maintainance is CRITICAL. Poor care and maintance can be expensive and dangerous - assuming a damaged glove is "ok" is asking for an accident. You must train the persons using the gloves proper care and maintance.

EDIT #1: Included rated
EDIT #2: White Gloves are located in Ravenna, Ohio

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 02-12-2006).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 04:41 PM
These gloves are the best deal I've found. I bought their class 00 blue Salcor glove kit for use during the very limited times when I'll work something hot.

I was originally concerned about dexterity, but I've found that A) I'm using insulated tools to boot, and it's more than easy enough to hold a pair of Kleins with these.
B) If I have to deal with so many small wires (e.g., terminating a panel) that dexterity would be a serious problem, then by-far the quickest and safest method is to kill the power and do it barehand.

Just don't let the use of safety equipment be a substitute for trying to work safely, if that makes any sense. [Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 02-12-2006).]
Posted By: ianh Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 06:50 PM
We use the White gloves at our PoCo and we don't get many complaints. They don't affect your dexterity too much.

The only drawback I have found with them is that the leather gauntlet has a nylon strap which you tighten for a good fit, but the stitching on this comes apart fairly quickly. Don't know if it was just the batch we've got but it is the only real let down.

Cheers

Ian
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 09:50 PM
The EC I work for issues us Salisbury 1000v gloves, rubbers and leathers. When Issued I never thought I would really wear them, have been wearing them quit often, anything hot including panel work I now where my gloves. Just like the glove carrier says "Always where your gloves".
Posted By: togol Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 11:34 PM
hey, how come my link ....doesn't link??
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Hot Gloves - 02/12/06 11:47 PM
I don't think it really matters which class glove or who makes them if dexterity is what you want. One glove may be better or worse than another but once you put the leathers on, they're all bulky IMHO.
Posted By: electure Re: Hot Gloves - 02/13/06 01:04 AM
Togol,
It must be boxed between " and "" (minus the quotation marks)to work the link.
Posted By: togol Re: Hot Gloves - 02/13/06 01:18 AM
electure,

my goof,
thanks a bunch

( http://www.whsalisbury.com/ )
Posted By: Zog Re: Hot Gloves - 02/13/06 01:11 PM
"Mine are rated at 5kv, and I have used them at times on voltages upto 4160v."

Celtic, there is no such thing as 5000V rated gloves, A class 0 glove is tested at 5000V and it may say that it was tested at 5000V on the glove but it is only rated for 1000V. Do not use these on 4160V!.

A class 1 glove rated for 7,500V would be the best choice for that application.

Yes, lab tested every 6 months is right.

[This message has been edited by Zog (edited 02-13-2006).]
Posted By: Zog Re: Hot Gloves - 02/13/06 01:13 PM
Tiger, Class 00 (500V use rating), type 2 glove with leather protectors sounds like you best option.

White rubber seems to be the best (or most popular anyhow)
Posted By: Tiger Re: Hot Gloves - 02/14/06 12:41 AM
Thank you all very much for your quick and thoughtful responses.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums