ECN Forum
Posted By: Mike82 electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 08:53 PM
I am an electrical engineer working for a large defense contractor. While the money is good and the job is cushy, it is true that money isn't everything, and the job does not offer much satisfaction- sitting behind a computer and updating documentation is not my thing. I know that I need to do something much more hands on.

I've always enjoyed electrical work and so I've decided to apply for an apprenticeship through the local union. I realize that I may take a pay cut for a little while, but in the end it may be worth it in job satisfaction.

My question is, have any of you ever switched from engineering or another professional occupation to the electrical trade? After finishing your apprenticeship training, did you feel that the switch was worth it? Just wanted to hear about some of your experiences!
Posted By: mahlere Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 09:03 PM
nah, most of us look to switch this field to anything else ;-)

truthfully, a lot will have to do with your current situation:

married? family? age?

if you are young and single it's alot different than if you are trying to support a wife and two kids on an apprentice's wage.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but good luck.
Posted By: Mike82 Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 09:07 PM
Well I'm 23 years old and currently single. Although the area I live in is high cost of living. I realize that a few years down the road the I'll be earning the same if not more than I do now as an engineer.

I was thinking that combining practical experience of being an electrician with being an engineer, it might help me if I ever want to go into management or have a contracting business. I'd kind of like to focus on the industrial side of the trade- PLCs, motor control, automation, etc.
Posted By: Roger Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 09:23 PM
Scott Thompson who is a moderator here wears both hats as well as Al hildenbrand who is a respected member. I know there are more and I'm sure you will get some input from some of them.

I wish I could have done both too, but who knows, I'm not that old yet,(51). [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Celtic Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 09:31 PM
That's funny Mike...I'm thinking of going the OTHER way - electrician to engineer....LOL.

As you get older, the trade does take it's toll on a body...but as you are still young, making a transition now could be a good (and prfitable) thing. If and when your body decides it doesn't want to be "abused" anymore - back to the desk you go with the EE hat.
Posted By: Tiger Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 09:58 PM
Check out past threads on body damage Mike. If you want to play football with your grandchildren, stick with the desk job.

Dave
Posted By: Tom H Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 10:12 PM
I have an ASEET [Associate Science Electrical Engineering Technology] and 1/2 towards a bachelors. Never looked back.
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 10:16 PM
Electricians are making more than EE's? I find that hard to believe unless you are talking EC's or prevailing wage jobs.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 11:16 PM
BTDT...three years toward an engineering degree. What matters is what is important to you.

I spent living, working, studying with engineers. At the end of it all, I realised it just wasn't the place for me....

Now, at the end of the day, I can point to something I've actually done- and not just some paper fantasy. No "same old- same old" every day either....every job is a new adventure.

Nor could I see myself as just another chairborne commando, working for "Engulf & Devour."

My only "caution" is to not think of an apprenticeship as a "step backward." Your current title may have 'electrical' in it, but has precious little to do with electrical work, or electrical contracting. You wouldn't ask a "mechanical engineer" to fix your car, would you? You'll be entering a whole new trade, and have an awful lot to learn; while your prior training may help in some areas, that's only a beginning.
Posted By: WFO Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/11/06 11:50 PM
Best advice I evr got when I was 20 years old.

You're going to spend the next 40 plus years of your life earning a living. You might as well do something you enjoy.

Money ain't everything.

What you might like is getting with a utility in their Technical Services department. Get to use what you know and do a little "hands on" at the same time. That's what I'm doing and I rarely have to force myself to get up in the morning (unless it's hops/barley related and that's another story [Linked Image])
Posted By: RODALCO Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/12/06 12:01 AM
Try getting a job at a POCO, they may pay you higher than apprentice wages and get position as electrician / technician.

You get great aspects of work in the utility industry such as substations, cable faults, control ccts, general faultwork and new installations / new subdivisions and maintenance.
Also the outside work is great when the weather is fine.
As mentioned by our other members is that if you actually fix a problem you see the visible results of the job. e.g. streetlights faults

You may get some credits for your experience although you probably still have to do 8000 hrs of practical work.

Worth a try.

good luck Ray.

[This message has been edited by RODALCO (edited 02-11-2006).]
Posted By: walrus Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/12/06 01:43 AM
It sounds to me like this is your first job out of college?? Why not try to find another EE job that actually involves your degree??I have a BSME, passed the EIT exam but I always wanted to be a contractor. I'm older now and looking back I probably should have used my degree but....
Posted By: Bob Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/12/06 04:38 AM
Mike
I can understand your frustration. There a number of engineering construction firms that need field engineers. They do the training and may put you in the field actually doing work with the electrical installation people. You learn a lot actually doing the work. Don't give up now. You are just at the beginning.

Bob PE
Posted By: ianh Re: electrical engineer to electrician - 02/12/06 06:40 PM
I was in your position 4 years ago Mike. I had completed my EE degree but was working as a design engineer which involved sitting behind a desk for 39 hours a week.

I left and went to work for a PoCO and I'm now a field engineer working on maintenance and faults. Every day is different and generally challenging.

Its worth a try finding an engineering job that will challenge and interest you!

Cheers

Ian
© ECN Electrical Forums