ECN Forum
Posted By: Sandro EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 02:59 AM
Perhaps a trivial matter, but I am curious...when installing EMT horizontally with one hole pipe straps, which method do you favour? Screwhole above the pipe, or below?

The screwhole above the pipe looks better, but below supports better.
Posted By: RobbieD Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 03:09 AM
I try to put the strap with the hole on the bottom wherever I can.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 03:40 AM
I feel that the screw-above method is better support. With the screw above, the weight hangs nearly straight down, with only shear force on the screw (and anchor).

However, with the screw below, the weight tends to pull away from the wall, applying a tensile load, and is more likely to pull an anchor out of the surface. Make sense?
Posted By: Radar Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 04:23 AM
Ditto that - 'specially when the painters or other tradesmen use the emt as a handhold while using a box or bucket as a ladder.
Posted By: dougwells Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 08:55 AM
The last EMT straps i got from Westburne (rexel) are really cheaply made.I cant believe how they can cut out the amount of metal in these things but they did.
Posted By: Sandro Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 01:49 PM
dougwells... AGREED... I noticed they changed too, they are from China and they are really shiny, thin and cheap. They are definitely weaker than the last brand I used. Time to change suppliers.
Posted By: iwire Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 01:54 PM
You can order them heavy duty, at least one manufacturer makes light, medium and heavy duty 1 hole clips.

The lightest duty ones are worthless IMO.
Posted By: Rewired Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 04:23 PM
Sandro:

I prefer the screwhole below the pipe, but either way they both work..
As for those shiny things they pass off as straps.. My boss has boxes of them things.. They are useless I think, and good luck finding those "cheap but good" ones like what Swift Devices used to make...

I used to work behind the counter at a supplier here in Hamilton, whatever the "cheapest" was they could buy is whatever they would stock.. same goes for most other suppliers..

A.D
Posted By: Wireless Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 07:50 PM
I Try to alternate them.

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 02-05-2006).]
Posted By: Active 1 Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/05/06 09:17 PM
Screw hole below for me.

If the pipe gets abuse and the ancors loosen or the strap bends at least the anchor will keep the pipe from falling.

Tom
Posted By: e57 Re: EMT pipe straps - 02/07/06 12:38 AM
I too alternate them, up at boxes, and down everywhere else. But if worried about someone swinging around on your pipe work like tarzan, use rigid pipe, with 2-hole straps with 1/4"/20's epoxy'ed a few inches into the wall. (or those hilti style "toggler" bolts)

Or maluable iron 1-hole straps with backing clips also with 1/4"/20's.
© ECN Electrical Forums