Posted By: HotLine1 New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/28/06 04:07 PM
Jersey guys:
Anybody still looking for CEU's????

2/10/06: East Brunswick arae 5 hrs- Motors
2/17 & 2/18 10 hr NEC and LAW! (5+5)

John
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/28/06 10:00 PM
John,

I think that I will just shelve my Lic. because I don't have a Bus. permit nor a bond. I also dropped the insurence. I took the 10hr course already, but taking another more CEU's is just crazy for AHJ's who don't practice their trade. I wish our AHJ CEU's would count for the Cont. Lic.
Posted By: LK Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/28/06 11:03 PM
"I wish our AHJ CEU's would count for the Cont. Lic."

harold,

The whole CEU process needs to be looked into, and some changes are in order, the problem that exists now, is they created a new business, of CEU instruction, so any changes will impact that business, now the real question is, will the CEU business determine instruction, and format, or will the intrested parties, both the board of electrical contractors, and electrical contractors input determine the direction this takes, lets see if they let the dogs guard the chicken house.

Yes, the inspectors CEU's should be accepted, along with some update courses, as i said we need a review, and we need input from all the contractors, and inspectors.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 01-28-2006).]
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/31/06 02:31 AM
LK,

I belong to my local contractors assoc. and do you know what some of the CEU's they offered? Defensive driving, There was a course about the contractor insurence, and one that was a course about your taxes. I am sitting here tonight thinking about signing up again ( for $300) to join the assoc. again.
BTW, I tried to go online to NJmylic.com to see about my lic. and I couldn't get on. It kept timing me out. Has either of you tried that website?
Posted By: LK Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/31/06 03:32 AM
harold,

I am waiting for the printed application, no did not try on line.

What, i would like to see, is the courses being offered long before the last minute race we now have, the problem is , the companies offering courses say they can't get eniough enrollment until the last minute, to justify running a class early on.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 01/31/06 05:23 PM
Can you get your CEUs online? I filled some of the hard to get courses (florida building law and ADA) from Red Devil. I won't say I really learned much but I did get my ticket punched.
One problem with them running the classes right at the deadline is if they have a postponement, as we did because of Wilma, a lot of guys will be late.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/01/06 01:20 AM
Harold:
I have not attempted to renew Lic & BP...yet
If I have a few minutes Wed, I may give it a shot. CEU's that I mentioned above do not have anything you listed, it's all "trade"

The $300 is for CEU, or Assoc Dues???

Greg:
NO, no online as of now......moone said NJ State is with the times.

John
Posted By: gfretwell Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/01/06 02:13 AM
I was wrong about the name. It is Red Vector. They say they are no good in New Jersey. Strange http://www.redvector.com/web_store/view_courses.asp

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 01-31-2006).]
Posted By: LK Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/01/06 02:29 AM
gfretwell,

The reason you will not see online courses in New Jersey is, the state clains that by requiring CEU's jobs would be created, to provide the instruction, and of course the state would collect revenue from another created industry, just waiting for tiolet paper to be taxed here, i guess they are in cacus, trying to decide to tax by the sheet or the roll, don't hold your breath waiting for online courses.
Posted By: cavo148 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/03/06 01:15 AM
Sounds like another one of our infamous Jersey rackets in the making which seems to be the way the home inspection business is going. BTW, I updated my license and business permit online...not without some effort entering the official ID codes. You really have to figure out the difference between numerals and letters which look alike. It may take a few shots at it.

All of our state "movers 'n shakers", "anyone whose anybody", etc., are on an annual train ride to D.C. for some political partying for a few days. I think the train should go to Camden instead...party-on guys.

Andy
Posted By: codewarrior Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/26/06 01:49 AM
We do not need any of that trash here, we already have enough drug dealers, prostitutes, drug addicts, poor, enough section eight, pot holes in the street, the stench of a sewage treatment plant, trash to steam plant, concrete plant, numerous recycling plants and are most price possession crooked politicians. So I don’t think that would help any.
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/26/06 03:30 AM
gentlemen, i think the NJECA really messed up on this one. The state council has been less than stellar for many years, but the extra 24 hrs does not help electrical contractors.

we need to crack down on unlicensed work, get the townships to work with us more, get the utilities to work with us more and a bunch of other items.

Sitting through an extra 24 hrs of CE that usually are nothing more than product commercials does not make my job better or easier.
Posted By: LK Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/26/06 04:23 AM
It appears the contractors are busy eniough trying to survive, the electrical contractor is getting continued education, every job he plans, every piece of material he orders, and every day he supervises the job, there are areas where he may need updating, but please 24 hours of courses on subjects he should of had, before getting a license.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 02-25-2006).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/26/06 08:56 PM
Gentlemen:

'Jersey bashing', politics, and trash talk aside......

I don't want to abuse this site, and if the following is out of line....PLEASE delete.

Anybody that has any suggestions for any trade related subjects that qualify as "Continuing Ed"....STEP Forward PLEASE.

Yes, I have to do the 34 just like everyone else, and yes I am approved as a CEU instructor. Sure, some of the topics may be considered as "BORING", and I for one sure hope that the EC's all already know the 'basics'.

I'm preparing a CEU on Fault Current Calcs. I have a few 'other' topics that are in the planning stages, and a few that are a mere thought.

Again.....any suggestions????????

My e-mail is in my profile, for one-on-one.

John
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 02/28/06 10:25 PM
Bump up please!

Any comments?????

John 2/28/2006 5:25PM EST
Posted By: LK Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 12:43 AM
Fault Current Calcs, now that is something that would be a good subject for CEU's
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 12:54 AM
John,

I was talking to Sue from the DCA and asked her about the AHJ's and renewing their Cont. Lic. She said that she too has a Cont. Lic. and she too had to take the 24 hr CEU's. She did say that she (DCA) and the Board of Examiners were talking about that issue. She feels that maybe come this fall the CEU requirments for AHJ's will count toward their EC lic.

P.S. Is your ICS/HHS licesnse registered with the IAEI? If so, your ICS/HHS lic might be good in other states.
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 12:56 AM
Oh John,
I forgot to mention. Talk about the Board of Examiners (BE), they will jump all over the Lic. Contractor, but they lack some bite when it comes to the UNlicense people. Have you any experience with that?
Posted By: Celtic Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 01:51 AM
harold endean:

...but they lack some bite when it comes to the UNlicense people.

Have you read the minutes from the BoEoECs?

Some of these people got a serious bite...http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/electric/minutes/elecmin.htm...
one unfortunate soul got hit with a $31k fine.
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 02:35 AM
celtic, for every one that they catch, you know as well as i do, that there are 100 that they don't catch.

as for the guy with a $31K fine, what did he do? most first offenses aren't even fines. My guess is he was a habitual offender.

secondly, i don't feel bad for any of the unlicensed guys that get caught and fined. They take money out the mouths of my family and yours.

How much money (both in time and actual dollars) have you spent to get your license and do this legally?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 11:01 PM
Harold:
Yes, the "34" hours can be tough....you know what the AHJ requires on top of that, and I'm doing the CO course at Ocean County College; 15 weeks, 1 nite, 45-60 hours.

EDIT: Yes, I have IAEI registration for ICS/HHS/Plan Review since day one. TY

Mahlere:
As to the non-lic.; I for one, and I know of many more (AHJ's) keep our eyes open, and I have NO problem 'dropping the dime', and writing a Notice of Violation for the max civil $$$$$ that I can.

What the Board does afterward, I have no control over. We also ask the EC's to keep their eyes open, and call us/me if they are uncomfortable.

Celtic:

Thanks for the Board response above. Time permitting I check it out. Amazing of the 'payment plans'???

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 03-01-2006).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 11:07 PM
Les:
Thanks for the "thumbs-up" on the Fault Calcs.

BTW, I do not do 'commercial" CEU's. IF a guest rep does a presentation, it has to be approved by the BOE. Yes, 'guest' speakers
are company reps, and yes, they mention their products, hand out literature, and samples, if they have any. This should not be objectionable, and IF it is, let me know.

Les, the comments within are not directed to you, nor anyone else directly; just running my brain.

John
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 11:08 PM
hotline,

how many HVAC contractors down in your area tie in their own electric? pull permits?

It just seems that this state (please note, I'm not calling out the inspectors on this - I have a dozen friends (and a father) who are licensed inspectors) finds it easier to beat up on the licensed, law abiding contractors, than really track down the unlicensed guys.

I appreciate that you are trying to do something about it, but you are only one man.

thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/01/06 11:16 PM
Mahlere:
HVAC requires a Lic EC. 95% of the HVAC guys have 'pocket' EC's for permits. Yes, I/we do try to catch the 5%, $500 first offense at Twp level. Furnaces/boilers are a free for all, but require permits.

As to 'who' does the HVAC re-connect?????

I have a further comment on this, but I would prefer to keep it private.

BTW, there are two elec insp in Twp; and we work very close with seven other insp; Fire; Plumb; Building, etc.

Yes, it's tough.

John
Posted By: mahlere Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/02/06 12:28 AM
np. thanks again.
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 03/02/06 02:04 AM
Celtic,

No I haven't read the BoEoEc's website. I am not even sure where that is. I will be happy to chek out http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/electric/minutes/elecmin.htm...
website when I leave here. There was one of our MCECA members who would go after the unlic. guy with a passion. He has since passed on. As an AHJ when I first started I complained to the Bo of Exminers and they wouldn't do much about it back then. I haven't tried since though and if I see something in the future, I will try them again.
Posted By: edmanobil Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 04/01/12 08:22 PM
Do anyone know where or who may be giving last minute seminars for NJ ceu', also is anyone else short on hours
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 04/01/12 09:50 PM
Now that someone brought this back to life...Edmanobil, I sent you a PM on this matter.

Hey LK! just an FYI on a comment you made back when...
"Fault Current Calcs, now that is something that would be a good subject for CEU's"

I did FCCs last year, two hours, had 19 guys, just enough handouts for the unexpected crowd. THe course worked out very well, with no complaints from anyone, and...no 'nappers'!!!
Posted By: harold endean Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 04/02/12 01:25 PM
Ed,

Check with a local supply house, a lot of the CEU teachers leave their calling cards at the supply houses. Are you in North, Central or South Jersey?
Posted By: edmanobil Re: New Jersey guys------CEU's - 04/02/12 03:33 PM
Thanks for all the input fellows
© ECN Electrical Forums