ECN Forum
Posted By: RobbieD Old plaster walls - 01/22/06 07:45 PM
Wondering what has worked well in the past for you guys WRT putting rework boxes into old plaster walls with that annoying steel mesh inside them. Looking for the best way to avoid chipping the outter surface so it is a clean job. I was planning to trace, drill, and then use a recip saw with steel blades. Any suggestions?
Posted By: e57 Re: Old plaster walls - 01/22/06 08:22 PM
4" diamond blade on a grinder. Get as deep as you can with that to your out line. Knock out the middle portion to expose the lath and snip that out with tin snips.

From what I understand, Roto Zip makes a smaller diamond wheel for thier grinder accessory. That might make it easier to get deeper on the shorter dimentions of the top and bottom of the box outline.

--------------------------------
Also Roto Zip makes a carbide router bit that will make it through the plaster well, but will get hung up on the lath.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-22-2006).]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old plaster walls - 01/22/06 09:09 PM
Deep scan stud finder.

Rotozip blade with carbide blade, Klien BX snips (or tin snips), Rotozip with wood blade.

...and a little painter's tape around the outline so as not to mar the finished wall. The tape comes in handy when twisting the snake about the cut-out, too.

Labor intensive install- yes; but virtually zero "finish work".
Posted By: hbiss Re: Old plaster walls - 01/22/06 11:56 PM
I prefer the old fashioned way, an old screwdriver and my linesman's to carefully chip away the plaster. Then cut the lath with your dykes or tin snips. No dust all over and probably just as quick.

By the way, try doing one as you plan with a sawzall and you will quickly see why that won't work. I advise doing it somewhere where it won't matter cause you're gonna have a big hole.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 01-22-2006).]
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 02:24 AM
Thanks guys. I will try your methods.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 02:39 AM
The rotozip works nicely for cutting out the plaster. After that I like to use a half-inch speed bit and make a little 'swiss cheese' in the lathe, then use dykes to cut the lathe out. I also prefer using metal cut-in gem boxes instead of the plastic ones because the metal box isn't as big as the plastic and the hole to be cutout doesn't have to be as large if I were using a plastic box. Did the make any sense?
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 02:51 AM
ummm..no, at least not to me [Linked Image]

I like the plastic OW box because it IS big - more room to fit my fat hand in the wall
LOL.
Posted By: electricman786 Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 05:20 AM
Grinder,Rotozip & dykes. A dust mask is +
Posted By: BOSSMAN Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 01:31 PM
Hal, I agree with you, alittle patiance & care can go a long way when you work with old plaster. One slip and O well explain away to the home owner and hope there understanding.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 02:17 PM
Screw driver and kleins for me too. Chip away around the sides then bash in with hammer. Then cut the mesh with side cutters. I allways tell the customer their is no guarantee with plaster as far as damage. I allways have been lucky.

Tom
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 03:58 PM
Recip saw to cut in an old work box is just asking for trouble. Good ideas here.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old plaster walls - 01/23/06 09:43 PM
I have an attachment for my roto zip that accepts the 1.25" hose from cordless DeWalt vac.

No mess !
Posted By: Wireless Re: Old plaster walls - 01/24/06 06:50 AM
Celtic Do you have a link for that adapter or a name. One of the main reasons I don't like using my rotozip is because of the mess. I actually wanted to make my own adapter but never got around to it.
Posted By: e57 Re: Old plaster walls - 01/24/06 07:04 AM
Hey, never knew they had such a thing... http://www.toolsforless.com/product/7017.html
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old plaster walls - 01/24/06 10:51 PM
[Linked Image from 66.77.255.87]
RZVAC1 ~ rotozip.com
I picked mine up at Big Blue/Orange?

The first time I used it when I put 10 hi-hats in my own finished LR. No dust on couch, carpet, etc.

I need to buy another - as a back up.

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 01-24-2006).]
Posted By: BigB Re: Old plaster walls - 01/25/06 02:25 AM
I use my 4 inch grinder with diamond blade, always makes a nice hole, no repair.

I also have an attachment that holds the shop vac right next to the blade to minimize the mess. His name is Ricky.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Old plaster walls - 01/25/06 02:35 AM
His name is Ricky.

LMAO [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums