ECN Forum
Posted By: sandro2 Residential Service - 01/20/06 12:27 PM
A 200 amp residential service with the Pipe installation inside of the home?
-needs to be encased in concrete
-Can the pipe be EMT?
-Also what is the disconnect rule as far as the distance of the pipe before installing a disconnect
Posted By: electricman786 Re: Residential Service - 01/20/06 03:16 PM
Y dont u use pvc if u going 2 encase it in concrete.
Posted By: raider1 Re: Residential Service - 01/20/06 03:55 PM
If you are talking about the service entrance conductors, then you must meet the requirements of 230.6 to be considered outside of the building.

EMT can be installed in concrete if 358.10(B) is meet.

230.70(A)(1) says "inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors." Only the AHJ can determine what is "nearest the point of entrance." Some AHJ have allowed 5 feet but you will want to check with your local AHJ.

Chris
Posted By: e57 Re: Residential Service - 01/22/06 09:54 AM
This is one of the widest varying regional items around. Some AHJ allow nothing inside, some allow no encasement for 40'+! Really depends on where you are, and what is allowed there. This is definatley a question for your local inspector, and POCO.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Residential Service - 01/22/06 04:48 PM
My AHJ will allow 5' inside...I have a situation where I need 8' and I don't want to put in a meter main stack. The AHJ will allow my installation ONLY if the entire load side of the meter is RGC ~ no concrete required.

You will get varying details from people.

Your best bet is to ask the AHJ that is inspecting (another AHJ - even if the same jurisdiction - *might* not allow what the other agrees to).
© ECN Electrical Forums