ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill39 Fingersafe devices and NFPA, OSHA - 01/19/06 01:28 PM
A lot of the rules pertaining to working in live panels have to do with "fingersafe" devicess. But what exactly is a fingersafe device when it pertains to the NFPA and OSHA.

I believe it would be important to be able to determine immediatlely whether a device is fingersafe or not.

How big can the hole be on the terminal screwdriver... 1/8", 1/4" or what?
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Fingersafe devices and NFPA, OSHA - 01/19/06 02:29 PM
As far as IP classification fingersafe (IP2x) is protected against objects over 12mm in diameter. Is there a NEMA equal other than calling it NEMA-1 or better?
Posted By: C-H Re: Fingersafe devices and NFPA, OSHA - 01/19/06 06:14 PM
A few zealous inspectors (industry) carry around a "test finger" to verify that a finger can't reach any live parts.
http://www.ergonomicsusa.com/accJFP15.html

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 01-19-2006).]
Posted By: mshaw Re: Fingersafe devices and NFPA, OSHA - 01/19/06 08:24 PM
I had a test finger once but my foreman took it away, guess he did not like how I applied it
Posted By: JBD Re: Fingersafe devices and NFPA, OSHA - 01/19/06 11:05 PM
I don't think NFPA70E (and therefore OSHA) recognizes the term finger safe for 480V work. Table 130.2(C) says the restricted approach boundry for 480V is 1". Anything closer is considered making contact with the live part.

So finger safe terminals would help for the 50-300V "avoid contact" boundary but they would need to have a 1" recess for 480V.

NFPA79 6.2.2.1 address the dimensions and (proper) use of the "test" finger.
© ECN Electrical Forums