ECN Forum
Posted By: Detailer Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 03:39 PM
Back when I was with a previous employer, we used in the residential field a drill that had a long neck, approx 4' between the motor and the chuck. The chuck was mounted at a 45 deg angle on the end of the neck. This enabled us to drill most, if not all, of the house from the floor without needing a ladder. I am now searching for one of those drills. Can anyone provide me with a maker of this tool? Maybe provide me with a URL? I tried milwaulkee thinking they are the maker of the drill but could not find it on their website.

Thanks for any help

Dave
Posted By: caselec Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 05:09 PM
Is this what you are looking for?
[Linked Image from toolup.com]
http://www.toolup.com/productInfo.asp?Single=yes&ID=48-06-2860&Man=Milwaukee

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 12-23-2005).]
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 05:51 PM
You just reminded me of why I hang out here... now I've seen everything!

Merry Christmas to all,
John
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 06:00 PM
Very useful tool. Buy one, you will like it.
Posted By: Detailer Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 06:38 PM
That is it. They one we would use had a cord, but that one will work great...

Thanks

Dave
Posted By: caselec Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/23/05 07:26 PM
The drill motor is not included. It is just shown as an example. I think the attachment can be used with pretty much and Milwaukee D-handle or right angle drill.

Curt
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 02:47 AM
I have that extension. It's about 30" long, and the end is 33 deg. Unlike the 90 deg. angled head that comes with the drill, the 33 deg. angled head has a 1:1 ratio.

One of the handiest uses, besides both verticle and horizontal drilling overhead, is drilling down through a floor plate. The angle helps you miss the perimeter joists.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 05:48 AM
That milwaulkee extension is too big, the one that you want to get is the Danielson Drill Extension by Price and Rutzebeck
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 01:46 PM
HCE727, I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt by checking out this P&R drill, but after searching I can only find their name and address. I have not seen ony of their line.
I must say, after 18 years in the trade, and a lifelong tool hound, I have never even heard of them.

That being said, the Milwaukee extension drill is the coolest thing since.....well..since the drill was invented.
Drilling up, down, across ceilings. This drill is a HUGE time(and back)saver!
About the only thing I could ever complain about is storing it in a van.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 02:53 PM
Speedy, I have one and it is great,trust me.
It is better than the Milwaulkee. I have used both. I checked around on the net and could not find it either. I know who carries them though. Harboc Electrical Supply, 215-747-7800. I store mine in the ceiling of my van with two 3/4 mini's with butterfly nuts for easy access.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 04:23 PM
I found the address and phone number for Price and Rutzebeck, if anyone wants it. 13004 Concow Rd.,Oroville, CA. 95965. Phone - 530-534-9858. I don't know if they have a web site or not.
Posted By: e57 Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 06:14 PM
I have used the Milwaukee version, and I'll detail my opinion about it...

• Air Guitar favorite on the site.
  • A good production tool for lots of holes fast.
  • No hopping up and down ladders for drill 8' - 10'cielings.
  • No stooping drilling low or bottom plates.
  • A good balance of torque and speed.
  • Lasts a long time, but repairable (*I'll explain.)

A guy I worked for had one, and I made literaly tens of thousands of holes with it while with him. As it was used for many years before me, I think it may have gone through hundreds of thousands of holes, until one day it broke. (Other than several sets of brushes, and one guy who cooked a motor after 8 hours solid of 2 1/2" holes in wet framing with a dull bit.) There is a hex shaft down the middle, and it stripped after years of heavey use. To fix it, cut an inch or so off the shaft, and tube. Back in buisiness... On the same note you could cut to a length you choose. But this thing is made for reach. You'll love it.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 12-24-2005).]
Posted By: Sixer Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/24/05 07:45 PM
These extensions are a great idea! I've considered buying a Milwaukee hole hog, but this looks like it will suit me better. Thanks for the help guys!

I did find their website, HCE727: http://www.priceandrutzebeck.com/

[This message has been edited by Sixer (edited 12-24-2005).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/25/05 05:20 AM
e57, that won't work ant more. The internal extension is a solid rod with a hex socket attached to each end.
Posted By: jkraft Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/25/05 10:28 PM
Does anyone have a picture of that Danielson drill extension? It sound like a tool I used at a previous employer 15 years ago and have been looking for ever since. A tubular drill extension maybe 3 or 4' long, with and angled end and 1/2" chuck on one end and a spindle on the other. You would chuck it in a 1/2" drill motor like a Milwaukee Hole Shooter and it an extension bracket that would connect to the 3/4 pipe handle. I'd love to find one of these.
Posted By: jkraft Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/26/05 01:41 PM
bump
Posted By: DougW Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/26/05 08:12 PM
Used one with one of my first EC's.

Nicknamed "the bazooka".

It's a cool gadget, and sure beats running up and down the ladder, especially with repetetive holes (think can lights)
Posted By: e57 Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/27/05 02:55 AM
Larry Fine
Been a while, but I think the (Steel) socket has a (Steel) rivit on the (AL?) shaft, and that rivit shears off. (And it takes some real abuse to get to that point!) Cut, redrill hole in shaft and replace rivit with rolled steel pin, or higher strength screw at the hex socket, cut tube to new length, back to work.

Think they still make em that way, and we might be on the same page? Haven't used one in a while, maybe I should get me one...
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Long Reach Drill Search - 12/27/05 04:20 AM
Ok, this will make some of us shriek, but in years way past when I was fearless macmikeman I used one while also wearing drywall stilts. That was back when I used to race my way through residential jobs. It made for really quick wiring to use that combination, especially on 10 foot ceilings. Of course I am only 5'-7" tall. Some guy's I worked with never even needed to use a stepladder on residential jobs they were so tall. I since learned how to slow down and be safe many years ago now.
© ECN Electrical Forums