ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 02:30 AM
I'm just curious as to how everyone handles a situation where the customer supplies something and parts are missing.

(Please, no Flames torwards any particular store or chain)

Case in point: A ceiling fan, Customer is quoted a flat rate to replace one with another and parts are missing. Box looks like it has been resealed at the store. How do you proceed?

I think it's a very bad practice that they (store) allow parts to be removed or accept incomplete items for return. I think that they (the store) should bear any expense that is incurred as a result of something like this. If the Electrician must come back again He is entitled to be compensated. Has anyone had any luck in getting them to see the point? Or pay the bill?

Do they care? (I think they should)

Bill
Posted By: Redsy Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 02:46 AM
I had a customer with a mismatched ceiling fan/smart speed control. I hung the fan and she returned the controller. Charged her $25.00 for the return call to install the switch. She didn't complain, but tried to recover the 25 from the upscale lighting outfit. No luck.
You should try to get something for your trouble, even if it's discounted.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 02:55 AM
Oh boy can I ever relate...

Good Q... What can I do?
Posted By: nesparky Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 02:59 AM
When we see the box from the store has been opened prior to our opening it, we request the customer return it. And we do charge for another trip. If the store will not stand by thier junk let the customer deal with them
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 04:24 AM
I think that generally the return policy in stores is pretty liberal and they have no problem with replacement parts. But I don't think that they really get the idea that the installer can't wait around while this happens or pack up and come back again without charge.

I'd like them to get the message that they should be more careful with what is on their shelves. If something is opened people will generally look inside. If something is resealed by them it should contain all the parts in good condition. I've spoken to the Managers of several of the local 'chain' stores and they seem to have no clue what the big deal is. In this situation the Installer is in a no-win situation. Either He doesn't get paid, or if He does, the relationship with the customer is never the same.

Bill
Posted By: amp-man Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 05:52 AM
How about:

Don't install it unless YOU sell it to the customer (at a markup to cover your time spent in purchasing it, and a reasonable profit). Then YOU'RE responsible for the parts and for the overall quality of the materials/fixture.

If they supply the material and you install it, how do you handle it if there's a problem with it in a week (or month or two)?

You get the call back, you tell the customer it's the fixture. The customer figures that you screwed it up installing it...
And even if the customer agrees that it's the fixture, and gets a replacement, they'll probably expect you to install it as part of the original job.

I know that this approach isn't possible all the time. But I think it's better to avoid it.

Cliff
Posted By: sparky Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 11:48 AM
I no longer supply fixtures, simply because the markup can only be a minimal gain in light of the Home Depots, Lowes, etc. pricing. I get paid for my electrical knowledge, not pedaling fixtures as a middleman anyways.....Plus, I find that i would need to stand behind bad lighting choices by the customer simply because the fixture was bought through me. Most residential jobs have the wife choosing & aiming at fashion,quailty aside. The final lighting decision is almost never soley the contractors. The best thing to do is referal to a GOOD lighting shop, or refer the cust to catalogs & links. I will offer guidance , for those who ask,(surprisingly,many do not take advantage of the fact that we've hung a few fixtures in our carears) but the final decision is the customers.
Bottom line, T&M for any customer involvement is good policy.
If contracted, do T&M for anything done TWICE, why eat anybody else's mistakes?????

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 11-27-2001).]
Posted By: electure Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 12:45 PM
We make it known from Day 1 that any customer supplied materials are not warrantied by us, and any subsequent trips because of these materials will be billed as service calls @ T&M.
The supplier should bear the burden, but as of yet, I've only seen them take responsibility a couple of times. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 06:22 PM
I agree with Sparky's views on this. I do not want to be responsible for fixture or appliance selection.

I will only supply a motion sensor under great duress.

Bill
Posted By: Tom Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 10:14 PM
As I've stated before, I absolutely detest ceiling fans. They should only be installed on a cost plus basis. Working cost plus means you'll get paid to deal with those missing parts. The fan should be furnished by the homeowner, then if they are junk or you can't get the wobble out, it isn't your problem.

I'll give a big Ditto to Sparky & Electures posts.

As for motion sensors, I'm happy to furnish those, but I only use the real good ones (about $80 to $100).

Sooner or later, we're all going to end up writing contracts to our customers that will be so full of qualifiers & exclusions, we'll need to cart it in with a hand truck. Don't laugh, I know one GC that is just about to that point. He loses a lot of business because of all the qualifications in his contracts, but the jobs he does get always run real smooth.

Tom
Posted By: pauluk Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 10:24 PM
My main supplier (local outlet of a national chain) is always very good about accepting returned goods; I know all the guys in there and they always replace or credit without any problems. I've never tried the compensation angle for extra call-out & wasted time though.

Bill:
I agree with you about motion detectors. Part of the problemis that people actually believe vastly over-stated range on the packaging.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/27/01 11:16 PM
Tom,

You try to balance ceiling fans?
(No wonder you hate them so much) I don't see how the wobble of a ceiling fan is the responsibility of the electrician. As long as it is securely mounted and correctly wired according to code our responsibility should end. Any wobble that may be present is a side-effect of the manufacturing/assembly process. I've never had great success with attempts at balancing and have stopped trying a long time ago.

We don't progam the VCR, We just provide the outlet.

I've seen problems with all brands of Motion Sensors, some big, some small. The new owner should know how to adjust these things themselves. I do not want any callbacks to make minor adjustments or be responsible if it doesn't come on, doesn't shut off, etc, etc, etc.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 11-27-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/28/01 12:39 AM
Bill,

Really!?! Great idea... I thought I was being substandard by handing them the balance kit with the knowledge that I'll only make it wobble differently!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Missing Parts and Time Lost - 11/28/01 12:55 AM
Virgil,

I'll always make them aware that the amount it is likely to wobble is basically related to the cost/quality of the fan and increases with the length of the rod. With that said, the manufacturer knows that it is likely to wobble to some degree and that is why the kits are included with the fans. Most people I know are not bothered by a small wobble if the alternative means more $$ spent on the fan or on balancing labor.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums