ECN Forum
Posted By: socalclem Green Wirenuts? - 12/06/05 11:40 PM
What is your spin on Green wirenuts? i think using them in single-gang boxes is fine because the wirenut only allows 1 equipment ground out of the top to attach to 1 device. Now in a 2,3,4, or even 5 gang, Using a green wirenut seems rediculous if all devices must be grounded. What happened to those copper crimp sleeves, that made finishing a house so nice?!!!
Posted By: iwire Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/06/05 11:54 PM
The green work fine, leave the one coming out the top long enough to hit each device.
Posted By: sawdust454 Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/07/05 01:09 AM
I personally only use the green wirenuts, I hate the crimp rings. Just pigtail out the bottom how ever many grounds you need but stay within the capacity of the wirenut.
Ron
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/07/05 03:07 AM
In my home I have avoided anything more than 2 gang in most places, just to avoid that "need a map to turn on the light" problem. In the one big box I ended up with I used one of the #10 tapped holes for a 6 hole ground bus kit. Then I used #12 stranded pigtails with terminals for all the devices. It made a very easy install. This was piped in so all the conductors were stranded with terminals. (lots of colors too)
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/07/05 02:36 PM
I do waht I-wire does: leave that one conductor from the wirenut long enough to daisy-chain the grounding screws.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/08/05 12:11 AM
Greenies work great, but I see more people screw them up than I do who install them correctly.

With 2 #14s, just twisting the greenie on does almost nothing as far as twisting your wires together and leaves a really poor splice.

And for the love of god, leave enough wire so that if the splice has to be remade, you don't need to jam a pair of needle-nose into the box just to hold your conductors together.

-John
Posted By: earlydean Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/08/05 12:28 AM
I think Greenies are nice, but a waste of money, and one more part to keep separated in the parts bag. I use tan wirenuts for 99% of my splices, the reds, grays or blues only when necessary, yellows very seldom. (And, of course, the oranges for fixtures.)
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/08/05 04:38 AM
I'm a crimper. Greenies are OK for one gang boxes, but I prefer to use small crimps and leave out as many tails as the gang of the box.

I use to daisy chain a long ground but have grown to dislike that method and have been crimping for years.
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/08/05 11:24 AM
I hate the damn things. There, that was easy [Linked Image]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/08/05 02:09 PM
I never used them, becasue as a commercial installer my EGC's were insulated, and I don't like the idea of having bare conductors longer than needed. If I were doin residential, however, I would have used them.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/09/05 05:45 AM
I only use them in single gang boxes. In a two, three, four, or five gang boxes, it makes no sense to use a greenie, unless you leave 1 long bonding conductor an prefer doing it like that, I do not.
Posted By: makokiller Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/10/05 01:28 PM
never use them.. never will.. use only copper crimps, greenies just take up to much room and who needs more wire nuts kicking around..
Posted By: Roger Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/10/05 01:56 PM
I always used the Red or Yellow wing nuts in my nail apron for all the joints and or pigtails.

Roger
Posted By: lamplighter Re: Green Wirenuts? - 12/10/05 03:42 PM
I like the idea of the "greenie" but, since I do very little new construction on anything smaller than a small factory, for me, they're a waste of money.
I also don't believe in crimping.
I was always trained that a crimped slice is not ideal for solid wires and on almost every crimped ground splice I have come across, there is atleast one wire that seems too loose to be a healthy connection.
For me, a properly sized wire nut has always been the method of choice.
As for daisy chaining grounds across devices, I don't mind it and it leaves atleast one less wire in the splice.
© ECN Electrical Forums