ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 12:42 PM
Did you understand that? Not too difficult, huh?

OK, then putting dirty words in your posts with a symbol in place of one of the vowels is no different, is it? The meaning isn't changed in the slightest.
I've posted this info every couple of months now in one place or another, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, instead I end up editing more and more posts for this kind of j*nk.
CUT IT OUT....please. This ruins some pretty good posts with good information.

Use a thesaurus, think for a minute for a different word, do something, but stop this practice. I'm going to begin sending entire posts to the trash can if it keeps up. There's no reason for this on ECN. Remember, this site is "G" rated.

Thanks [Linked Image]
Posted By: lamplighter Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 04:10 PM
electure,
I'm guilty of this recently.
You all have my appologies.
I will try to be more careful in the future.

Steve
Posted By: watthead Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 04:52 PM
Is subtle innuendo still allowed? [Linked Image] What about blatant sarcasm? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 06:29 PM
I must predicate to being a berk on occasions with inapropriate adjectival prestidigitations , and will in future desist and refrain.

Alan
Posted By: iwire Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 07:29 PM
*eems #illy to me.

But it's not my call so I will comply.
Posted By: e57 Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/23/05 10:21 PM
Guilty party here....
----------------------
However this tack was learned from Road Runner, and other cartoons of the 40's and 50's......

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-23-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 12:19 AM
Scott,
Very good call mate!. [Linked Image]
People here should realise that we aren't the only ones that read these Forums.
Perspective members and lurkers are reading the posts in here at the same time as you are looking at this one.
I don't want to sound insulting to anyone here, but I was always taught at school that swearing was caused by a lacking in your vocabulary.
Guys,
This is an Electrical Forum, there is no reason why we should be seeing expletives here anyway.
Sure we all get a tad wound up every now and then, but that shouldn't mean putting it into words on here.
As Electure mentioned above, this Site has a G-Rating, please lets try and adhere to that.
We're all grown-ups are we not?. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix up UBB tagging}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-23-2005).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 01:06 AM
I once mentioned to my landlord that I was getting a thesaraus. His reply: "NO pets allowed!"
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 01:09 AM
LOL!,
That's a good one John!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 02:29 AM
Although we are the most intelligent trade on the job. Electricians are not very cultured people. Your expectations of us are WAY TOOOOO HIGH!
Always with the restrictions electure.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 07:02 AM
And instead of starting another "House-keeping" post.
One thing I would like to say, is about doubling up on postings.
Not where you accidentally post the same post, but where you guys have more to say, but start another post, when you could just as easily edit the post you had before!.
There is NO ranking system here based on the number of posts you make.
I personally take no notice of the number of posts I have here.
I do however like quality, not quantity. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 12:17 PM
I didn't start anything new.
This has been a policy here since before I started, and I didn't make it up. There would be no profanity filter on the Forum software if this was meant to be. This is just a way to cheat/defeat it. I've edited out some of the most filthy words in the English language, unacceptable almost anywhere. Where is the line to be drawn?

This wasn't meant as any kind of criticism of anybody in particular, rather a reminder.

Do you talk like this to your Customers? Your Grandmother? Your Kids? Any of them could read this, and it's a reflection on us all. Don't forget that this site gets thousands of visitors every day.

An 8 yr old nephew sits at the computer with me sometimes. I'm sure that we have other members that have similar situations.

Electricians are not very cultured people.

Who but us can change that image?

How about just using ALL symbols, instead of just replacing one vowel? After all, THAT's how it's done on Road Runner, Peanuts, etc

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 11-24-2005).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 02:19 PM
I'm with Scott. An assortment of symbols is fine to make the point and leave the reader with his own idea of what to substitute -- "That *&*?$%#^* inspector!"

Let's please not just substitute an asterisk for a couple of letters, change an "S" to a "5" or anything similar.

I once mentioned to my landlord that I was getting a thesaraus. His reply: "NO pets allowed!"

You don't live in Bedrock then? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from home.earthlink.net]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-24-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 02:21 PM
I wonder how Dino would 'BBQ'? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 03:32 PM
Dear Moderators!

Once I've had an idea, in spite of adding asterisks to the word, an automatized moderation could change it to a specified word, like "wonderful", "happy", "exciting", "strange" or any other word, which can make all of us laugh in this context and shows the writer, how strange it looks like to use adjectives where it is not needed.
This is a great site, it would be a waste to let anybody ruin it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 04:07 PM
No offence intended but....This isn't the Vatican discussion board! There really is such a thing as a little over the edge!
Posted By: Admin Re: Yo*r Att^ntion Pl%ase - 11/24/05 04:55 PM
Folks,

For those that are still a little hazy on this, here is an excerpt from the Forum registration agreement:
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.
This is standard language that comes with the software, we didn't make it up. Changing one or two letters of a word doesn't make it unrecognizable or any less offensive. Let's learn some new words or change the whole word to !@#$%^&* if you feel a need to add adjectives please.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums