ECN Forum
Posted By: Peter Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/19/05 10:52 PM
How do you wire a two pole, four wire clothes dryer? I'm not certain of the amps involved.
~Peter
Posted By: Roger Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/19/05 11:08 PM
Is it solar powered?

Roger
Posted By: LK Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 12:17 AM
"questions of a How-To nature by untrained people (or DIYers) are not within the scope of this Forum and may be removed at our discretion."

Thank you,

Les
Posted By: electure Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 12:22 AM
If it's any help, here's a picture of one installed:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 12:24 AM
Les, Peter is not a DIYer. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 05:19 AM
That is a beautiful 2-pole, 4-wire clothese dryer electure.

Is it the 1872 or 1876 model?
Posted By: LK Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 05:25 AM
Roger,

His profile has no information, he may want to change it.

Les
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 06:11 AM
That picture got me laughing pretty hard. This is way better than tv. Thanks.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 06:16 AM
In order to wire the 2 pole dryer in the picture, I woudl suggest trenching/ buried pvc conduit, with thwn conductors, sized for voltage drop of course, probably end up using #12 or #14, cause it doesn't look like it gets continous loading or very much demand. Oh yeah, you could also use uf cable for this make of dryer, but check the listing first.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 08:33 AM
Electure;
LOL, then LOL again! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 10:13 AM
Electure,
I hate to go there, but is this a seperate structure?.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 11:20 AM
For the visible wiring I'd suggest Triplex or any other type of cable suitable for the mechanical load though.
Also make sure the poles are properly bonded to ground! [Linked Image]
Otherwise you'll run into all sorts of nasty problems, such as multiple ground faults, short(s) circuits,...
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/20/05 02:45 PM
electure,
I don't see a ground wire or a driven rod. Are you sure your dryer circuit is code compliant as it appears to be a seperate structure? And your means of support on that cable looks a little weak, too.
I had a little trouble replying as I was reading thru tears of laughter!
Posted By: electure Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/21/05 11:40 AM
On a more serious note:

A 3 Pole 4 Wire dryer receptacle is wired most generally as follows.

A 30 amp circuit is run in either 10-3 NM or conduit. The circuit is connected as 1 neutral (to the "W" terminal), 2 hots (to the "X" and "Y" terminals). and the ground (to the "G" terminal).

There is a jumper on the dryer that bonds the frame of the dryer to the neutral connection. THIS MUST BE REMOVED.

Many times, guys fail to read the instructions that come with the dryer, and don't remove the jumper.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/21/05 03:38 PM
That is one of the ironies of the trade...most dryers have a "# pole" plug, yet use a "2 Pole" breaker. Go figure.

Not every dryer uses 220. Perhaps someone will submit a pic of a "single pole" dryer :-)
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/21/05 05:07 PM
We can forget my reference to the listing issue. On my 53rd time looking at that picture post (lol) I noticed that the right hand pole of the device has had listing problems and was repaired.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/21/05 09:03 PM
This is a single pole dryer but since it is UK it still may be 240v http://breezecatcher.chainreactionweb.com/
Posted By: LK Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/21/05 11:08 PM
"Many times, guys fail to read the instructions that come with the dryer, and don't remove the jumper."

Miswired Dryers are a serious problem, Ok to have a laugh, hope this post helps everyone remember.

Les
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/22/05 02:16 AM
There is a jumper on the dryer that bonds the frame of the dryer to the neutral connection. THIS MUST BE REMOVED.

Many times, guys fail to read the instructions that come with the dryer, and don't remove the jumper.

I've been guilty of this. It just goes to show that you learn something new every day. Though very rarely do the dryers I wire use a 4-wire set up. Always good to know this.
Posted By: BigB Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/22/05 03:13 AM
Since we're talking dryers I have to tell my story. I have a customer from Spain, selling a $1 million home. She brought a washer and dryer down from her mountain retreat to place in the home so she could take her new Maytags to her new home. Well she called me and tried to explain something about the voltage was wrong on the dryer and the plug wouldn't fit etc etc. I said hold on I'm close by I'll stop by, thinking ok, it's probably a 4 wire cord and the house has a 3 wire recep. Well when I got there I discovered the dryer was GAS. She thought it worked on gas OR electric! No wonder it took nine hours to dry a load.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/22/05 03:20 PM
Renosteinke said:

Not every dryer uses 220. Perhaps someone will submit a pic of a "single pole" dryer :-)

Reno,

I have a 110 volt single-pole dryer.

It's a "compact" unit and they're sold under various brand names. The thing is about waist-high. I don't know who manufactures them, however.
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=DRYERS&cat=119&prod=314

My mom has the same machine....just under a different brand. I think her's is Whirlpool, while mine is Crosley. The only difference is the quality of the trim and finish.
Posted By: electure Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 12:07 PM
From the link Sven posted:
Electrical Requirements
15 OR 20 Ampere, 120 Volts, 60 Hertz (1/second). AC-ONLY. USE COPPER WIRE ONLY. A FOUR-WIRE OR THREE-WIRE, SINGLE PHASE ELECTRICAL SUPPLY REQUIRED. A TIME-DELAY FUSE OR CIRCUIT BREAKER AND SEPARATE CIRCUIT IS RECOMMENDED

I don't get it. What does a 4 wire 1Ø 120 Volt circuit look like?
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 12:46 PM
quote"I don't get it. What does a 4 wire 1Ø 120 Volt circuit look like?

How about a dedicated isolated ground receptacle outlet ? One hot, one neutral, one isolated ground, one equipment ground conductor to ground the box.
Posted By: electure Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 02:07 PM
Very Nice!! [Linked Image]
(Maybe we went a little off course by suggesting that the installer read the directions) [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 03:01 PM
Electure:

Yah....good question. Considering my little dryer plugs into a standard two-pin plus ground socket. [Linked Image]

Maybe sometimes reading the instructions isn't the best idea? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 07:24 PM
Read the instructions??!! What, and ruin all the hours of fun and frolics; the tools hurled at the wall, the muttered expletives, the pieces broken off from trying to force assembly, the missing parts on a Sunday morning, the wife's sarcastic remarks? [Linked Image]
I just realised from the above link; the 'dryers' you're talking about are called 'tumble-dryers' in the UK, or seche-linge (linen-dryer) in Fr.

Alan
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 09:34 PM
Alan: you completely forget all the fun that comes from reading manuals that come with far-eastern goods! Unfortunately it seems like the English versions are _usually_ a lot better (i.e. correct English) than the German versions... but still there are lots of goodies around.
Posted By: LK Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 09:34 PM
Funny thing in my area, the inspectors are pretty good, their seems to be one thing they always ask for on dryer installs, and that is the manufacture installation manual, so what we do is leave the manual on top of the dryer.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 11-23-2005).]
Posted By: denny3992 Re: Two pole, four wire clothes dryer - 11/23/05 09:40 PM
IM still laughing at the clothes line !!!!!!

Idont care who you are thats funny stuff right there!!!!!!

Electure you thought about becoming a comedian?????
© ECN Electrical Forums