ECN Forum
Posted By: Wireless Ladders and Stairs! - 11/10/05 07:29 PM
Here is the scenario Recessed light above the stairs is out. you can't use a pole because the trim also popped out. How do you change the bulb and fix the trim? oh and you cant reach it from the 2nd floor.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/10/05 08:02 PM
There should be ladders with extendable feet exactly for that purpose.
Posted By: raider1 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/10/05 08:13 PM
Baker style scaffolding is also a possibilty. I have used this in stairways before and it worked quite well.

Chris
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/10/05 09:03 PM
How about a "Little Giant"??

Or watch that the electrical engineer doesn't place fixtures in places like that in the first place...

I saw a building where 50' scaffolding had to be erected to change 4 lamps. No scissor lift access...
Posted By: frank Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/10/05 10:26 PM
We have a stairway ladder.PITA to deal with so its a one use tool.We also have 2 lights 30' in the main lobby with no way to get to them with out a huge scaffold.Just pretend they're not there or it's part of the building efficiency program,we do LMAO

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 11-10-2005).]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 12:09 AM
[Linked Image from bcemylar.com]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 12:14 AM
I'd want to bring in a lift,

Tell her that front door has got to go!! [Linked Image]

Dnk....
Posted By: e57 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 01:01 AM
First contract engineer for design of "Gantry" system.

Next throw out a few RFP's and wait for the RFI's from various contractors of the GC and Metal Working variety.

Then approach the client with the initial contact costs and further proposal. Once they, or you are realeased from the hospital, you may or may not get the go ahead to proceed.

If you get the go ahead, have the welding shop get your brackets and platform ready for the GC to install, via a proffessional rigging crew subbed out by him at 20% mark-up. Get the Engineer to sign-off, change your bulb, same in reverse for removal. Patch and paint NIC.
Posted By: e57 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 01:04 AM
If you can get a ladder under it you can try these... http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/details.php?series_id=137
Posted By: Wireless Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 02:04 AM
e57 thanks but the bulb is directly above the steps that ladder won't work. A scissor lift wont work either. I ended up using a extension ladder squeezing it in between the Bannister and the 2nd floor. I was very nervous that I would drop the ladder and damage something real bad. but what do you when you can't squueze a ladder in like that?

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 11-10-2005).]
Posted By: cavo148 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 02:31 AM
There's always a few ways...but, will the customer pay you to do it the safe way. If not, let 'em live in the dark.
Andy
Posted By: e57 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 02:44 AM
"what do you when you can't squueze a ladder in like that?"
Scaffolding rental! T&M for pick-up, actual site set-up, and work, and drop-off time. Thats the best way IMO. Shop I used to work for charged special rates for the company owned scoffolding if that was useable. If not, the rental charges for what-ever was needed, plus time for set-up and removal.
Posted By: DougW Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/11/05 10:28 PM
Drywaller's stilts are an option, but only if you're comfortable with 'em.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 12:49 AM
A little off-topic, but....

I've know quite a few "design professionals," and most of them were "Star-Trek" fans. Nothing wrong with that, but I think that they believe the 'anti-gravity boots' exist, and we all have a pair on the truck!

Whenever I install a light, I ask myself how the bulb will get changed. If, after completion, the bulb is not accessible- well, it's time to raise some cain! It seems that all sorts of folks will want to put that light over the pool, over the hot tub, over the stairs (and be ready to debate "code" with you)- until you point out the difficulty of changing the bulb.
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 03:14 AM
8 foot folding ladder turned upside down, put the top usually plastic against the step sideways leaning against the wall, have your helper stand one step below and hold the side of the ladder up you go. the top of the ladder is small enough to fit most of itself ont he step. oh ya dont forget to put some socks or something over the ladder feet or they leafe on hell of a mark.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 04:00 AM
Lean a tall ladder or extension ladder up against the high open end. Stick a short ladder up on the flat landing at the top of the stairs. Slide a plank thru the steps of the short ladder out to one of the steps at the tall ladder. Presto, you are now a member of the Illuminati.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 04:35 AM
This situation will put that problem in perspective: The main building at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory is 16 stories high. The computer center is on the 7th and 8th floors.

The designer of the building neglected to include a freight elevator.

In order to get the big computers in there, they have to take out windows, and rent a 16-story-high crane to lift the computer up to the 8th floor!
Posted By: frank Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 06:07 AM
If you can't get to it would it be feasible to install another fixture to make it easier and safer in the future?Just throwing ideas out there.
Posted By: livetoride Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 11/12/05 02:12 PM
We just did a job on a stairwell last week, took down two ceiling fans an put up LV track. We used a baker scaffold set up on the stairs. worked good. Rod
Posted By: WilliamJames Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 08/26/16 09:01 AM
A ladder is a structure which is usually portable, and has gaps between each step. It is usually strictly vertical and the angle at which it is used is created by the way it is laid.
Posted By: BigB Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 08/27/16 04:45 AM
The painter lets me borrow this https://www.bigrocksupply.com/PiViT...Sl9ccbET3aZADSWoIK_hUemTSh-XwaAl9N8P8HAQ
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 08/29/16 04:50 PM
This is what I use with a simple wooden ladder:
http://www.josefsteiner.sk/media/ca...27136e95/h/o/holzleiter_detail-003_1.jpg

These extensions are simply clamped to the feet of almost any ladder.

BTW, ist that post before BigB's spam? Looks a bit fishy to me.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 08/29/16 08:33 PM
If it's a lot of agony to get at the bulb to change it, maybe use an LED bulb that is supposed to last much longer.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 08/29/16 09:56 PM
The OP posted this thread in 2005
Posted By: poorboy Re: Ladders and Stairs! - 09/07/16 12:01 AM
Despite the original post being from 2005, BigB's answer is right on. I was not lucky enough to borrow a painter's and paid nearly 100 bucks at a paint store. But it had to get done, and NOW! So I bit the bullet and now we have one. Just have to keep some Goober from leaving it on a job. Works on roofs too. To use it with a stepladder may take 2.

We once (not on stairs but in a high lobby) stood an extension ladder straight up and 2 guys held it while I went up and changed a lamp...pretty good if you're in the circus...I'm not! You learn a lot about leverage doing that (and working one-handed).
© ECN Electrical Forums