ECN Forum
Posted By: qopanel Over voltage conditioning - 10/27/05 10:35 PM
Approx a year ago we did a build-out for a dentist. He has been constantly blowing bulbs in can lights and just recently brought it to our attention. A voltage check was done and found about 128.9v. We have since supplied him with 130v bulbs, hoping this will solve the problem. Last night we received a call telling us his compressor motor burned out. A voltage check phase to phase showed 249.8v. The tag on the motor rates the voltage to be 208-230v and around 8amps (i forgot what it said exactly). A tech from the compressor cormpany (who first found the problem) told the dentist that the voltage is way to high. What I'm asking is, is there a plug in type conditioner that I can use instead of a buck boost? The plug configuation is a 250v 20amp.
Posted By: Bob Re: Over voltage conditioning - 10/28/05 12:11 AM
You should check with the utility and see if They can lower the voltage. That voltage should be within a specific range. Some locations it 10% and others it's 6% of 120 volts. The 130 volts seems high however the 249 volts is within range.
Posted By: qopanel Re: Over voltage conditioning - 10/28/05 07:24 PM
The utility is within there limits. 10% either way. This office is the 8th down the line from the main service which has is a multi metering service. It is approx 190' feet from the meter. From the main service to this office we are losing only 1v. Utility said they will do nothing.
Posted By: winnie Re: Over voltage conditioning - 10/28/05 07:33 PM
Given that the motor is burnt out, perhaps the place to look is at the motor itself.

Use a 240V motor, or get the present motor rewound to match the supply voltage.

-Jon
© ECN Electrical Forums