ECN Forum
Posted By: Sparks30 Detached Garage - 10/05/05 07:19 AM
I will be brining 3 circuits to the garage through a 1" PVC. It is about 20' from the house. Do i need disconnecting means for these circuits?
Posted By: iwire Re: Detached Garage - 10/05/05 09:53 AM
Sparks you really can't run three circuits to a detached building.

225.30 Number of Supplies.
Where more than one building or other structure is on the same property and under single management, each additional building or other structure served that is on the load side of the service disconnecting means shall be supplied by one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

There are some allowances for more than one circuit but it is unlikely they will fit for you.

You need to look at 225.30 to 225.40

You need disconnects and grounding electrodes. If you have to have three circuits you will be installing a feeder with a panel at the garage.

Is it possible you could do it with just two circuits?

One multiwire branch circuit will provide two circuits and does not require the grounding electrode.

Bob
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Detached Garage - 10/05/05 06:55 PM
I can do it with 2. I was tring to give then 2 power an 1 lighting. Now it will be a 12-3 circuit. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Detached Garage - 10/06/05 02:13 AM
Since the final stretch is only 20' or so, run it in #10-3. That way if they do outgrow your 20a multiwire you can put a 2/4 box in there and give them 4 circuits or 2 and a double pole 240 with minimal hassle.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Detached Garage - 10/06/05 03:47 AM
Heck, if it was up to me, I'd definitely be doing a sub panel. If the owner needs power out there now, who knows what else he'll be adding in the future. It would suck to have to dig another trench when you could have done right the first time. The "ka-ching" portion of the job is also nice.

Good luck.
Posted By: Sparks30 Re: Detached Garage - 10/07/05 07:18 AM
Thanks for the replys. I most likly will go with the 10 wire. H.O want cheap. Doing 2 garage door outlet, 6 porcelin, 1 outside light and 8 outlets.
© ECN Electrical Forums