ECN Forum
Posted By: SJT Ceiling Fans - 09/26/05 06:52 PM
Is there a minimum height for a ceiling fan to be installed from the floor? Is it in the NEC? Or any other codes say anything about that?
Thanks
Posted By: jtorres Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/26/05 09:32 PM
The lowest I`ve seen them was 8ft. From the floor to the blades. I don`t know if this is code or not.
Posted By: DSpanoudakis Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/26/05 10:03 PM
Well if it's going over a dining room table or any table for that matter, most people use the extension to being it closer to the people sitting down. If not, and the ceiling is 8ft., they don't use the extension. Then if the ceiling is higher than 8ft. extension should be used.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/26/05 11:42 PM
I've seen manufacturers instructions that set the minimum at 7'6".

Dave
Posted By: electricbill Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 01:29 AM
there is no "code" other than over tubs/spa's.
most manufacturers specify minimium hieghts
bill
Posted By: JCooper Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 02:27 AM
How about 6" about the head of the tallest person in the house?
Posted By: BigB Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 02:40 AM
Funny you should ask, I was failed at final today for 4 fans that were 6 feet 11 inches from AFF. The inspector said they had to be 7 feet min from the lowest point on the blade to the finished floor. But I don't see it in the code.
Posted By: BigB Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 04:22 AM
Does anyone know if this is in the IRC?
Posted By: jw electric Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 04:26 AM
What about a mobile home?
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 05:09 AM
useally most mobile home most fan are useally are " hugger" kind or low profile fans but from the floor to fan blade hieght it should be at least 7 feet off from the floor level but if have light kit it can compund it unless you have one of low profile light kit to keep the height better but for reguar resdentail home useally 7 feet or more [ with or with out light kit]

merci , marc

p.s. some local code will set up at higher hieght also so check it out i know i rather keep at least 8 feet for safety reason

[This message has been edited by frenchelectrican (edited 09-27-2005).]
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 05:48 AM
Its not in the code, unless we consider that the code requires us to install equipment acording to manufactures requirements. Most fans for residential use (Hunter, Hampton Bay, Emerson, Concord, ) to name a few, stipulate a minimum of 7'- 0" from the blade to the finish floor. I do not have a code book handy, but will try to get the specific code for this tommorow.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/27/05 06:02 AM
See 110.3(B)
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/28/05 06:01 PM
There is no code requirement regarding ceiling fans. Many homes have 7ft6in ceiling heights so it's impossible to mount a ceiling fan higher than that. Consider that most units hang approx 9in from the ceiling to the bottom of the blade meaning the blades are 81" from the floor.
Posted By: Mike Wescoatt Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/28/05 06:31 PM
I checked in the IRC and only find refrences for min clearances in pool areas...
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: Ceiling Fans - 09/28/05 07:07 PM
My old (1996) copy of the BOCA code states (words to the effect of) no part of the ceiling, including fixtures attached thereto, shall be less than 7 feet from the floor.
If you have a newer copy check section 1200-1207.
© ECN Electrical Forums