ECN Forum
Posted By: jw electric A stupid question - 09/23/05 07:16 PM
Well I can’t take it any longer and I must ask. When looking at profiles in this forum as well as others I sometimes see a space that is labeled ICQ Number:

Would someone take the time to explain to me just what a ICQ Number is? [Linked Image]

Thank you for taking the time to explain something that I should already know. I do hope that I did give you a little laugh today.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: A stupid question - 09/23/05 07:21 PM
jw:

No such thing a stupid question!

The ICQ number is the equivilant of a screenname for the ICQ ("I Seek You") online chat service. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: A stupid question - 09/23/05 07:21 PM
Mike

I have been here a few years and have no idea what that means. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: A stupid question - 09/23/05 10:28 PM
Bob:
Don't feel bad, I've been around a few years too, and I still don't have a clue?

I seek you???

John
Posted By: classicsat Re: A stupid question - 09/23/05 11:30 PM
ICQ is really the first (AFAIK) IM chat type program people use to text chat to each other and small groups, kind of like IRC, but more personal.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: A stupid question - 09/23/05 11:34 PM
Well if you know what MSN Messenger is, ICQ is basically the same thing, a chat program.

An ICQ number is somewhat like a telephone number in that it is unique to each account holder.

Below is a link to ICQ'S website
http://www.icq.com/

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by bigrockk (edited 09-23-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: A stupid question - 09/24/05 07:53 AM
I asked this question here a few years back.
And it is not a silly question at all.
As bigrockk mentioned, it is like a phone number, but if you aren't registered with ICQ, you don't have to worry.
ICQ is more of a hassle than anything, it's made for the children of this world.
I registered there a couple of years ago and got a virus sent to me.
Take what you like from that.
Posted By: chipmunk Re: A stupid question - 09/24/05 05:33 PM
ICQ used to be a good service back in the last century <grin>.

Now it's become feature encrusted and almost unusable, and as Trumpy noted, viruses are rife on the network because their security is non-existent.

I still have it for old time's sake, but rarely turn it on.
© ECN Electrical Forums