ECN Forum
Posted By: sgreany Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 11:58 AM
My new labor rate policy/formula

Today's fuel price x 20 = today's labor rate

This allows adjustment to pay for fuel and other commodities that are affected by fuel prices, witch is just about everything.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 12:12 PM
Hmmm, I like it. Only around here the multiplier would be something like 45. We can't live on $60 an hour.

-Hal
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 12:46 PM
We are trying to figure out the best way to offset the high fuel costs. Is anyone adding a fuel surcharge? Higher Rates? Truck charges? ???
Bill
Posted By: 32VAC Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 12:57 PM
Some of the contractors in town (Alice Springs, NT, Australia-smack dab in the middle of the country) charge for jobs in town are the flat labour rate plus parts (no fuel charge), but go more than 20km out of town, its an additional AU$2.00/km. So for a job 200km out of town, the additonal charge is $2.00 (per km rate) x2 (ya gotta get back to town)x (200-20) (distance the odometer in the truck says)=$720.00. Not bad money, hey?

[This message has been edited by 32VAC (edited 09-01-2005).]
Posted By: jkraft Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 06:58 PM
hbiss,

Where are you located? What's the price of gas?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 09:52 PM
Gas in NJ is going crazy....$2.57 on toll roads, until they get a delivery, or 12:01 AM Friday, as that is the only day they can raise $$$

Reg ranged from $2.57 to $3.59 today, and the radio is saying a .50 cent wholesale increase today/tonite. Guess it will hit $5.00 before the Labor Day weekend, to suck the beach/holiday crowd dry.

I have to add a fuel surcharge to cover the additional costs.

BTW, the $19.95 oil changes are going to disapear real soon too.

Guess the prices all over the country are going crazy??

John
Posted By: Roger Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 10:00 PM
John, just about the same thing here, $2.59 yesterday morning, $3.49 tonight.

Roger
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 10:09 PM
Don't hate me, but I paid 2.449 on my last fill-up, at Costco.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 10:34 PM
$3.50 a US gallon is the normal price here, and even higher in the UK. At the pump price had escalated 20% in the weeks before the N.O. storm. Due to the price hike in the US due to refinery shortages, (and that European pump prices are largely tax), fleets of tankers carrying products from European refineries will be heading your way shortly, which should stabilise your prices. My experience of shortage-induced price shocks though, ( sugar, pepper, coffee, gas), is that the price never falls back entirely to the previous level- supplying fuel at the pump is never a high margin business and the bean counters will want to retain the better margins after the dust settles.
Alan
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 10:43 PM
Right now I'm just glad if I can find gas. In Atlanta yesterday everyone overreacted to a rumor spread by email and rushed the gas stations. I waited for 30 minutes to pay $3.49 for regular and was glad to do it. We made all our trucks fill up before coming in. The result was that now about 1/2 of the stations are out of gas completely. I think the stations will be back up in a day or 2, but if not it could cripple our business.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/01/05 10:44 PM
Right now I'm just glad if I can find gas. In Atlanta yesterday everyone overreacted to a rumor spread by email and rushed the gas stations. I waited for 30 minutes to pay $3.49 for regular and was glad to do it. We made all our trucks fill up before coming in. The result was that now about 1/2 of the stations are out of gas completely. I think the stations will be back up in a day or 2, but if not it could cripple our business.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/02/05 01:49 AM
I filled up today $2.68 ... <true>

Sorry I am just poking you for all those times Atlanta was paying 98 cents and it was a buck sixty here [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/03/05 11:03 AM
The company I work for charges mileage and a truck charge, I imagine the mileage charge just went up. [Linked Image]

Friday the local station was @ about $3.20 for the 87 octane. [Linked Image]

My personal truck has a 39 gallon tank, it's bad when you have to swipe the card through the pump twice to fill up as some of the local gas stations around here have a $75 limit per card swipe. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: pauluk Re: Combating fuel prices - 09/03/05 01:23 PM
Hmmm.....

$6.40 per gallon x 20.

I like the sound of that! [Linked Image]

$3.50 a US gallon is the normal price here, and even higher in the UK

That sounds remarkably low. Last time I was in France it was only about 10 to 15% cheaper than England.
© ECN Electrical Forums