ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/04/05 12:35 PM
I just happened to come across this on a web-search.
Home cooking versus other stuff?.
It wouldn't even compete here.
You can find the link here .
Your opinions?.
Posted By: dugmaze Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/04/05 07:11 PM
My cooking usually turns green after about a week.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/04/05 07:23 PM
Mine grows blue fur..

Dnk.....
Posted By: gfretwell Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/04/05 09:49 PM
This is a study from someone with far too much time on their hands
I think the varibles are greater than the action in question. If you are cooking in a house that is being heated the cost will be negligable. If you are running the A/C cooking cost will be almost doubled.
When talking about prepackaged foods the cost of the package, in energy, may end up being greater than the cost of cooking the food. It still has to be cooked twice, with a freezing cycle and storage costs in between.
Best case would be someone who microwaved home grown food in a heated home. Worst case might be someone who drives to the store for each meal, buying imported, frozen, prepackaged food and heating it up in the oven in an air conditioned home.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/05/05 01:55 AM
A few years ago (when I was about to become a dad), I read a similar comparison on the impact of disposable diapers vs. cloth ones. While disposable diapers have been the whipping boy of environmentalists for years, the overall ecological "footprint" of cloth diapers wasn't all THAT much better when EVERYTHING was taken into account.

All the extra energy heating washwater and running washers/dryers for all the extra loads. Fuel for the diaper service trucks for those who use them. The extra chemicals (bleach and detergent) added to the wastewater stream. The additional load on water treatment plants from all the waste water.

We endedup "splitting the difference", using disposables for the first year or so, then going over to (recycled) cloth... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/05/05 04:58 PM
I managed to combine the two! We had some friends stay over, Denise got called out to work urgently, so I cooked dinner. Our young 'nipper' was safely tucked up in his cot. As the replete 3, we sat watching tv only to be regaled by a loud voice from the kitchen as Denise returned home;
"Who's been cooking in my diaper boiling pan!!???"
Oh!! Yeuuurrrgggghhhh!!!!!!

Alan
Posted By: walrus Re: OT: How "Green" is your cooking? - 08/05/05 06:07 PM
Alan
Are they still friends? If so they must be good ones [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums