ECN Forum
Posted By: Cindy tap 12-14awg - 11/12/01 07:13 PM
Where would you find the code section that allows tapping 14awg pigtails to receptacles from a 12awg small appliance circuit scotchlock connector? I thought it was 210-19(d), but exception 1(c) seems to say I can't tap to a receptacle. opps [Linked Image]
Posted By: amp-man Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/12/01 08:07 PM
Cindy,

You're not finding it 'cuz it ain't there!

Taps aren't allowed in this situation.

Also--is it common practice in your area to use scotchlock connectors for receptacles? Are you talking about those insulation-displacement connectors (IDCs)? Whay are you ising them?

I'd only ever use those for fluorescent fixtures. When I've got a short wire in the back of a box, I use WAGO wall-nuts. The WAGOs are easier and in my opinion give a better connection (both mechanical and electrical).

Cliff
Posted By: motor-T Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/12/01 08:32 PM
Cindy;
No you can not use the tap rule in this situation. To minimize voltage drop, sometimes no.12 conductors are used for long 'homeruns' even tho the bc is rated only 15 amps.
210-3, which states where conductors of higher ampacity are used for any reason, the ampere rating or setting of the specified overcurrent device shall determine the circuit rating.
Pig-tails on receptacles less than that of the branch circuit must be capable of carring 20 amps because they are an extension of the branch circuit. See 210-24 is a summary of branch-circuit requirements.

Amp-man;
What are WAGO s ? and who makes them ?
Posted By: amp-man Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/12/01 10:52 PM
motor-T,

Go to "www.wago.com". The site has a button that takes you to a PDF brochure for the "wal-nut" connectors.

I saw 'em at ElectricWest last year in Anaheim and got a few. I was doubtful about the quality of the connection, but it's really pretty good. It's not cheesey like a back-stab device; on the wal-nut, there's a lot of wire-to-connector contact. And the thing really grabs the wire.

Now, I wouldn't use the WAGO for splicing in a a receptacle circuit except in a real pinch. But sometimes for old work where the conductor is cut off inside the box, they're a lifesaver.

If I'm doing commercial lighting circuits and my margin is real slim, I sometimes use 'em. No problems so far.

Ideal Industries makes a very similar product, but it's not designed for stranded conductors. The Idea product is easier to find, though. I just call them WAGOs, regardless of the source.

Cliff
Posted By: Cindy Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 12:08 AM
He said I could do it, but didn't have a code reference. I think he's done this for about 30 years. Actually, I think it makes sense, like being able to use the 18awg luminaire taps from 14awg b/c's.
Scotchlocks? That's what I grew up calling them[my dad called them that], but I meant wirenut, wingnut, twister, wiretwists, you know the tan, red, yellow, blue, and orange screw on connectors.
Thanks, i should say i'm really very new to this so probably use the wrong words a lot [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 11-12-2001).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 01:10 AM
Cindy,
This is not acceptable, but evidently, it is commonly done. The difference being that luminaires are a known, fixed load.n Receptacles aren't. This was discussed extensively in a previous topic. I looked, but couldn't find it.

Any help, Bill?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 11-12-2001).]
Posted By: amp-man Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 01:14 AM
O.K., now I get it.

Like kleins for sidecuts, channels for arc-joint pliers, etc.

On the branch circuit tap approach appearing reasonable, it seems that a lot of Code requirements provide a wide margin of safety. On the other hand, what do you gain by using a 14 tap off of a 12 BC conductor? Mainly a little easier time of it tucking the device back into the box. If the box is so crowded that this is a real problem, maybe it's time to replace the box.

Cliff
Posted By: Cindy Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 01:29 AM
your right cliff, its just a little easier, he was trying to ehlp me out by suggesting an easier way to make the receptacle connections. i think you and sparky and fred and dspark probably got frustrated trying to explain some basics to me last summer. electricity is interesting, but its very difficult for me to get a handle on all the rules and theories
Posted By: motor-T Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 01:30 AM
Cindy;
Why would you want to use a tap-conductor on a small appliance circuit?
Posted By: Dallas Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 03:13 AM
Around me, they tap 14's off 12's so they can back-stab the devices. Always sounded like a lot of work to get out of a little work, as well as being against NEC, but we've been down this road before. ( A BUNCH) [Linked Image]
Posted By: Cindy Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 02:34 PM
seems to be unanimous. this is something that i haven't done but was suggested as easier like dallas said to backstab, thanks
Posted By: sstewart Re: tap 12-14awg - 11/13/01 03:15 PM
Ideal makes a wirenut that has the pigtail already attached to it. They call it term-a-nut http://www.idealindustries.com/wt/TwistOnWireConnectors.nsf The pigtail is made from #12 stranded so it is easy to tuck in. This little deice is a real time save and also ensures that your less experienced help does not make the pigtails to short, also does not allow for back stabing! Also check out the greenie.

- (Webmaster fixed non-working URL)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 11-13-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums