ECN Forum
Posted By: GOROSSI46 New member here. - 07/30/05 04:44 PM
Hello people,
I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and I am a 1st year apprentice in the state of MA. I have about 10 months under my belt and really like the work. I have read through alot of threads here and it seems like I could learn a few things here so I decided to sign up.

I work for a small shop doing commercial work right now but they are a bunch of knuckleheads and hacks so I am trying to get out of there. We have 2 licensed guys and about 12 apprentices who can't put in a simple device. Its pretty sad. But luckily I had an interview this morning with a new company and will be starting with them in 2 weeks. I can't wait, I will be making more $ plus getting full benefits. The owner seems like a wicked cool cool guy and told me he takes his guys on a few camping trips throughout the year and they play cards a few nights a week. I am sure once I tell my current boss I am leaving he will throw me out the door. Anyways I just wanted to say hello.

[This message has been edited by GOROSSI46 (edited 07-30-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 04:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Matt, I am also a MA resident although I work for a large contractor.

One thing I will point out, you never know who is reading and if you want to keep your job you may want to be careful what you post. [Linked Image]

Boss's and coworkers generally do not like to be called knuckleheads and hacks. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 05:00 PM
Hey Matt, another Mass guy here. If they are knuckleheads I say call 'em knuckleheads! The fact that they have more apprentices then licensed guys pretty much confirms it. Now Bob anything you want to tell us? will you be firing Matt on Monday? [Linked Image]
Posted By: GOROSSI46 Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 05:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Nice to see some other MA guys out there. I am not worried about losing my job, they would be doing me a favor firing me. I could go on and on with stories but I will wait till I am no longer with them to tell.
Posted By: GamecockEE Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 05:28 PM
Matt, Welcome to you as well. The best thing about this forum is that it gives you the chance to ask very knowledgeable people questions. It is particularly helpful when you live in a small community like I do in the deep South and have very little opportunity to have face to face contact with a working group of people who are really out to learn something about this line of work. Don't let it be your only source of info, however. Read all you can.
Posted By: iwire Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 05:53 PM
Don't let it be your only source of info, however. Read all you can.

I think that is an excellent point.

Never believe what you are told on the internet.

Always check for yourself, from another source.

When I answer a question here I try to provide the code section or a link to a site that has the information.

Bob
Posted By: iwire Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 06:04 PM
Now Bob anything you want to tell us? will you be firing Matt on Monday?

Not if he is an asset to the company he can call me a knuckle head all day long, in the end I am still his boss and he is working for me. That puts him somewhere below knuckle head. [Linked Image]

Of course if he chooses to call me a hack to my face he may find himself getting the dirtiest work I have got. [Linked Image]

If they are knuckleheads I say call 'em knuckleheads!

This from a guy that is his own Boss. [Linked Image]

OK what's the name of a regular customer that you consider a knucklehead?

There must be one. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: walrus Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 07:22 PM
OK what's the name of a regular customer that you consider a knucklehead?

There must be one.

Just one?? That would make it a hard choice [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 07:38 PM
Matt, welcome to the forums! Don't worry, if they fire you we're hiring in N.C. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 11:52 PM
I can (and do) call myself a knucklehead and sometimes it is actually true. I have no regulars that are knuckleheads. The knuckleheads are the ones I never go back to. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-30-2005).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: New member here. - 07/30/05 11:54 PM
Never believe what you are told on the internet.
Especially from guys with goofy fake names. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJ Wireman Re: New member here. - 07/31/05 12:03 AM
Well welcome Matt, good to have new member, spread the word and bring more friends no knuckleheads though lol. Well once again welcome from the guys over here in Jersey.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: New member here. - 07/31/05 12:07 AM
Welcome Matt ! [Linked Image from fadzter.com] Don't let the knuckleheads out there sway you, And DO NOT stoop to their level ! Just remember no one knows it all. This trade can be a very rewarding one if you let it. Bring your questions on and you will be responded to.
Ken
Anything worth doing .. is worth doing right
Edited to add name not just goofy fake name

[This message has been edited by luckyshadow (edited 07-30-2005).]
Posted By: Kelley Re: New member here. - 07/31/05 12:35 AM
Welcome Matt from another Mass guy. I work for a mid size shop doing about 75% commercial and about 25% resi. Good luck in the trade Matt.

Kelley
Posted By: renosteinke Re: New member here. - 07/31/05 12:46 AM
Matt, consider "dealing with knuckleheads and Hacks" to be an important part of your training.....after all, one day you'll have to deal with inspectors and general contractors!

As for the guy who pays the bill...there's areason "customer" begins with "cuss." :-)
Posted By: pauluk Re: New member here. - 07/31/05 11:05 AM
Just to add my hello from a sleepy little dot on the map about 3000 miles east of Massachusetts!

[Linked Image]

Boss's and coworkers generally do not like to be called knuckleheads and hacks.

They don't? [Linked Image] Now he tells me....... [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums