ECN Forum
Posted By: rayh78 Good idea or not? 200 amp with 100 amp main - 11/11/01 06:13 AM
Cant find any info on this. Sometimes have to replace an old 100 amp fuse box in rental property. Can we use a new 200 amp panel box, but replace the 200 amp main breaker with a 100 amp breaker? ( murray seems to be the only brand where the 100 amp breaker will fit in the same space as the original 200 amp breaker) This would save work if we need to upgrade to 200 amp service in the future. If small home with gas heat 100 amp seems to be fine. Main concern is fire and safety. Appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks
I have done this with a 200 A MLO, 100 A meter/main combo, just for space. I would call Murray tech support as to the replacement of a main breaker.
Any ideas on the best brand panel except the square D. Or if the main breker was not interchangeable 200 amp to 110 amp on a certian brand then would it work if we kept the 200 amp factory installed main in the panel and then just feed the panel with a cheap 100 amp outdoor disconnect. then the 200 amp main would be used only to allow current to flow thru.
thanks
I'm curious...Why not just make the service 200 amp from the get go? I can buy a ITE 30/40 200 amp main breaker panel for $10.00 more than a main lug only. You know the 200 amp breaker costs more than $10.00 but it is a "supply and demand" consideration from the manufacturers point of view. They make so many more main breaker panels than main lug ones so the price drops for the former.
Don't want to change the service conductors I'm assuming. What about a 100A backfed breaker, then switch to using the 200A main later with new svc conductors if needed?
Trying to do this without replaceing main service line, but still use a 200 amp main breaker box. Not to sure what the 100 amp backfeed breaker is. Would it be a good idea to just use a 100 amp disconnect beside the meter and feed that to the 200 amp main indoor panel with the 200 amp main breaker.
Then if we needed in the future to go to 200 amp it would be easy.

thanks for all replys
oh i see, well then, if you can fuse the service conductors with a disco you've probably licked this economically.
An indoor 100A disco would be cheaper i would think.
It could be used as feeder protection after the rest of the service is upgraded.
© ECN Electrical Forums