ECN Forum
Posted By: BryanR out of state working - 07/25/05 06:59 PM
In Maryland there is no requirement for appr or journ licensing or even registration...

I'm traveling and want/need to work in other states.

I'm now in Montana and am hitting a brick wall because I don't have a card or any easy way to certify my many 1000's of hours.

Most places a guy will hire you on and by lunch he knows if you can do the work or not and whether the $x he agreed to pay is fair.

Is there any practical way to get around this for a guy new to state? or like me who is only seeking 3 or 4 weeks of work here

thanks for the help
Posted By: Ray97502 Re: out of state working - 07/25/05 07:31 PM
You are going to face tougher and tought times unless you settle down and get certified somewhere. CA is just starting out and the process seems relitively simple right now...Next year you'll be required to have a ticket before you can work but right now if you have applied to take the test you can get work if it's available.
One thing that you need to start doing is contacting those people you worked for and with and get notarized documentation on co letterhead indicating the kinds of work you have done. Keep those records and if any state licensing agency requests a copy you will have to send them a notarized copy of the original.
Pretty soon they are gonna shut the travelers out and then when they need them they'll be up a creek. Trying to maintain licenses for more than 2 or 3 states at a time is to expensive and time consuming.
RickMand's "California Cretification question" might be a worth while read.

while you're on the subject how many different license classifications for electricians and electrical contractors are there in Montana?

[This message has been edited by Ray97502 (edited 07-25-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: out of state working - 07/25/05 11:44 PM
Hi Bryan,
Welcome to ECN, [Linked Image]
RickMand's "California Cretification question" might be a worth while read.
Here's a link to that thread:
Here it is!
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: out of state working - 07/26/05 01:38 AM
Maryland is starting to come around. There are 2 counties that are now requiring a j-mans license or a masters license to work in their county. It might take years for the rest of the state to follow suit.
© ECN Electrical Forums