ECN Forum
Posted By: goombav8 Wall fishing +education - 07/14/05 05:11 PM
I am a new telecommunications contractor based in the Seattle, Washington area.

I am interested in learning how to wall fish in various types of construction.
How is this usually taught to new electricians? Is it all passed down from master to apprentice? Or are there classes that can be taken?

Thank you for any advice or help.
Posted By: growler Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/14/05 06:14 PM
You have to learn how to bait before you can fish. Once you have mastered the prerequisit then fishing is easy. All you need to fish cables in walls is a little common sense and a lot of patience. Four out of five will be easy but #5 will be a bear. I don't think there is any way they could teach more than the basics in a class and you probably allready know how to use the equipment.
Posted By: Ray97502 Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/14/05 07:15 PM
Think it through before you start the time you take in setting up can make all the difference. One fellow might push the tape up the wall while another might drop his plumbob down from the top. Think it through.....Class dismissed.

[This message has been edited by Ray97502 (edited 07-14-2005).]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/14/05 10:30 PM
One tip I got from the Rolm phone guy is to drop a small linked chain down from the top side. It is easier to snag with your fish tape than a string with a plumb bob and you can feel/hear it when you hit it.
Posted By: derater Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/15/05 12:46 AM
To add to gfretwell's technique,use one of those telescoping magnets w/ a pivot head to 'grab' the chain.Often you feel/hear it when they touch.Also the threaded fiberglass
rods work very well.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/15/05 02:57 AM
That's good Derater, there is also a very cool little tool that uses a piece of alum solid #8 with a magnet shrink wrapped onto the end. You can very easily bend the thing into a shape to get around corners to reach the chain. Its called " Wet Noodle". I got mine from ADI.
Posted By: goombav8 Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/15/05 04:53 AM
Thanks for all of the tips, I will definitly give them a try when the opportunity arrises.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/15/05 05:46 AM
BTW goombav,
Welcome to the group, [Linked Image]
Fishing is a technique that every installation person should know.
The technique you use will often depend upon the type of construction you have been dealt.
It's reasonably easy to pick up, but as growler mentioned, patience is your biggest asset, it's not for the short of temper! [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/15/05 06:48 AM
Not really fishing per se but I shot a 2" PVC 20' under a garage slab with a hose. Make a drill head from a rounded plumbing cap with a 3/8" hole in the center and 3 3/16 holes around the edge. Rotate it as you push.
May only work in sandy soil but that is all we have here.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Wall fishing +education - 07/17/05 01:34 AM
You have to learn how to bait before you can fish. Once you have mastered the prerequisit then fishing is easy.
That's right; before you can be a master fisher, you must be a master baiter.

Sorry, couldn't resist!
© ECN Electrical Forums