ECN Forum
Posted By: Wireless Door Release - 07/08/05 02:54 AM
A customer called me today they're door release is not working. When I got there I took it out and tested the voltage. Without pushing the button for the door release 25.? Volts when they push the button 27.? volts its a 16v door release and less then a year old. Also when they push the button there is a slight buzzing like it is trying to release the door you could barely hear it though. My question is: is the transformrer bad or is the door release bad?
Thanx for listening!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 05:08 AM
Easy enough to get a spare 16 volt transformer from your truck and connect it directly to the release and see now wouldn't it?

-Hal
Posted By: Wireless Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 05:15 AM
Good idea I just dindt have one with me.
Is it normal for the transformer to be giving
off 25v
Posted By: stamcon Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 05:33 AM
Did you check transformer to see if it is a 24v model? I usually see the latch getting worn/jambed/rusted.

steve
Posted By: Wireless Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 06:12 AM
I am not sure where the transformer is. And I didnt have time to find it.

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 07-08-2005).]
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 12:37 PM
A non-energized transformer should be reading "0" or possibly some residual from the common like .1 or something. A reading of 24V from a 24V xmfr means it is in fact energized. Posssibly a S/C or maybe a bad button?? Process of elimination will find the problem.
Posted By: e57 Re: Door Release - 07/08/05 09:36 PM
Without pushing the button for the door release 25.? Volts when they push the button 27.? volts its a 16v door release and less then a year old.

Yeah, a 16v release will work on a 24v for about a year, before the button gets stuck. [Linked Image] Does the doorbell work?
Posted By: Wireless Re: Door Release - 07/09/05 12:06 AM
e57
The doorbell works but I think it is on a different transformer. The funny thing is today I went back there tested the release
on a new transformer it didnt work then I tested the existing transformer its putting out 18 volts Im a little confused. Its working though I changed the release and its working fine now.
© ECN Electrical Forums