ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Sport? - 07/03/05 10:30 AM
Guys,
Going along the lines of Joe's topic of Favourite things.
What sort of sport do you like to play and /or watch?.
I for one like to play, during the Summer months, a good game of Cricket.
I've played Cricket ever since I was 6 years old and being no good at all at bowling, they made me a wicket-keeper(the guy that catches the ball, if the batsman doesn't hit it).
Being 6'4" these days has an interesting bent to it, but I'm willing to hear your stories.
I also played as a Lock in a Rugby Union team too.
I coach kids these days for indoor and outdoor cricket.
What was your position in the team at school or there after?.
Just curious guys.
No pressure here my friends!. [Linked Image]
Oh and by the way, was your coach as highly strung as what mine was?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 02:12 PM
Hi Mike, any blizzards yet?

Wrestling and Burnout Frisbee

Dave
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 02:58 PM
I spent friday digging, then filling, a 160 ft. trench- and you expect me to even think about anything involving exertion?
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 05:03 PM
Volleyball - even though I'm only 5'2" I was an agressive player. We used to call it 'tackle volleyball' when it got a little rough.

I enjoy walking around the golf course w/ my hubby, Ed, and hope to start playing soon. I enjoy watching it on TV, too, as I enjoy the calm, the large expanses of greenery, and the fact that I can walk away and not miss much action.

We did have Nascar races on last night but I passed through once in a while and didn't have to watch or listen to the roundy-round and RPM business. [Linked Image] I'm with Larry the Cable Guy on Nastard...they ought to have their wives ride with them..."you been goin' around in circles for hours and you won't stop for directions. Now, pull over I need to [go to the restroom]...." (Of course, I'll probably be booted out of the family tree for this comment, too, as both of my parents, some uncles, and my sister have all raced on minor circuits...
Posted By: mxslick Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 05:35 PM
Motocross!! Raced for three years back in the early '90's and hope to get back into it by the end of the year...

Watching supercross, I know a lot of the riders personally, a great bunch of guys. (Unlike motocross, no gals in supercross....yet!)

NASCAR....

Football...

Summertime I bodyboard and in winter snowboard.

Doin' O.K. for a 42yr old coot.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 07:07 PM
Hockey and Golf
Posted By: Roger Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 07:20 PM
Mowing, Bush Hogging, Mowing, Tilling the garden, and more Mowing. [Linked Image]

Actually I used to play golf but I've not played in a couple of years now, just to hard to keep up with the d--n mowing. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Fred Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 08:33 PM
Trap shooting, varmit hunting and bicycling.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sport? - 07/03/05 09:22 PM
Cricket, at school in summer, Rugby at school in winter. Flying model aeroplanes. I used to love cross country running too, and riding horses. Any non-brit/anzacs won't appreciate how hard that cricket ball is Mike! - Aimed at you from 22 yards and doing over 100 mph is no sport for the faint hearted, epecially from a fast spin bowler. It hurt even when it hit your pads or box, (a doo-hickey to protect your nethers!). And we never had no sissy hard hats/face mesh either- All Denis Compton had was brilliantine to lubricate the ball off his bonce! And you're welcome to the keeper's job Mike - you've got to stop 6 of the things every over! Later, pistol shooting targets with revolvers, semi-autos and a single shot 12" long-barrel BSA target pistol- that was a beaut! All confiscated after Dunblane, of course,- can't own a handgun in the UK now unless your a gangster!. Now, I like a game of dominoes, cribbage and pool once a week at the bar. I used to be a dab hand with a 12 gage when you could still eat the rabbits, before Myxy, but those days are long gone.
Alan

PS. Fred. Would that be varmit hunting on a bicycle? Sounds a good laugh!-
Ding! Ding! Boom! Eeeek!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-03-2005).]
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Sport? - 07/04/05 12:42 AM
Drag racing, fast pitch softball, golf, frisbee, swimming (just got in from the pool) and chasing our Silky Terrier aroud the park
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Sport? - 07/04/05 01:32 AM
Like mxslick I am into motocross and like MVP drag racing.
I use to race MX a few years back and have ridden since about age 7. I still have a 250 MX bike, but alas, no street bike anymore.
There are tracks near me and I would also like to get back into racing, even at 40. MXslick, maybe I'll see you in the "old man" class. [Linked Image]

I also have a '70 Nova drag car. I don't get much time to race these days and I'd love to build a street car and put all the goodies into that from the race car, including the 13:1 355 small block.

I still play ice hockey once in a while and played all through HS. We have a rink right in town so it is easy to get out and skate.

I am also a fishing junkie. I fish several tournaments a year and go out whenever possible. I am about 3 minutes from the Hudson River and have streams and reservoirs all around me. It is much easier to run off with the boat and fish a few hours than to get out for the whole day to go racing.

As far as watching, mostly motorsports and some hockey, but NO nascar. I HATE nascar!!
I will sit and watch MX, SX, drag racing, rally cars and especially F1.

I am not really a ball sports kind of guy.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Sport? - 07/04/05 11:49 AM
I spent friday digging, then filling, a 160 ft. trench

You should become an electrician. [Linked Image]

As for sports baseball tv and football on tv. (the good football not the one they play in the rest of the world [Linked Image])

As for playing sports I run 4-8 miles 5 times a week. I try to run a road race or two every week as well.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sport? - 07/04/05 05:15 PM
We are boaters. My wife (and favorite builder) likes to go out in the boat when she gets home. It is better than TV.
I keep myself busy during the day with all the cool stuff she brings home. It's amazing what they throw away.
Like Johnny Cash said I am building my house "one piece at a time" ;-)
Posted By: derater Re: Sport? - 07/04/05 07:09 PM
I'm a racer and jockey;I race to the d/r table and jockey for position.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sport? - 07/05/05 11:01 AM
We also play 'Mind Over Matter'
She don't mind,
- and I don't matter!
Alan
Posted By: IanR Re: Sport? - 07/05/05 11:42 AM
Drag racing mostly, Target and trap shooting,
I play pool almost every weekend too.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Sport? - 07/06/05 07:51 AM
ElectricmanScott,
I thought for a second you were talking about Rugby, but then I realised you were in-fact talking about Soccer.
The English talk about Soccer as Football, as do a few other European countries.
Rugby is a bit of a sore point to the English at the moment, considering that the Lions Team is without a win against the All Blacks here in New Zealand at the moment.
The mid-week team however, has an un-blemished record, 6 wins from 6 games.
Good to see the under-studies holding up the pride of Mother England.
However, here is my brand of Wicket-keeping Gloves:

[Linked Image]

You wear these with a pair of cotton inner gloves.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sport? - 07/06/05 10:02 AM
Mike. We can take losing a game, mate! Just try invading us and see what happens!! [Linked Image]
Alan
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Sport? - 07/06/05 09:08 PM
AND YOU'LL ALL BE WELCOME TO INVADE LONDON IN 2012! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sport? - 07/07/05 03:20 AM
Bombard you all with money huh?
Can I stay at your house?
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Sport? - 07/07/05 10:25 AM
Watchin pro football and hockey on the TV...

I like ridin my KTM in the woods of New England...

Horseshoes and pool are great also...

shortcircuit
© ECN Electrical Forums