ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 11:06 AM
Folks,
To those of you that this concerns:
Why do some of you re-register with a different username?.
Sure, I've said some pretty silly things in the 4 years I've been here, but nothing would propell me to change my username.
It seems to me that everytime that one of you newer guys seem to make a (so-called) mistake here, you re-register with a new name.
I'd like to have some sort of constant here.
I'm not against you guys and I thank you for your time, but, what gives?.
Posted By: The_Judge Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 11:54 AM
Well, I was planning on changing mine, unless I can change my e-mail address.

My e-mail's all jacked up. [Linked Image]
Posted By: dmattox Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 11:56 AM
I registered with my real name, thought about changing it so that I could post stuff more anonymously, but haven't bothered.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 04:40 PM
I started with a 'handle', but I typed it in the wrong blinking box, so it's too late now! As to mistakes, well, I must be near the top of the list for typos, spelling errors, not realising no politics at first, un-funny jokes, crass questions and jamming up Pauluk's e-mail box with non-jpeg pics (!) - and does anyone criticise that? Of course not, you're all real gentlemen!

Alan
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 10:01 PM
I won't change mine.

It comes from my mother, who yelled this at me when she chased me around the yard for doing something stupid when I was a tot.

I have no clue what it means, but I like it.

Dnk......
Posted By: iwire Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 10:52 PM
I have always been iwire at any forum it is my email and I just used it for the forums.

My real name is not a secret, it's Bob Badger from Southeastern MA.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 11:09 PM
You can change your email by clicking on "profile" near the top right of the page.
Posted By: derater Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/06/05 11:20 PM
OK, I was gonna change mine to Paris Hilton,
but I don't want problems w/ it, so nevermind (ooh, that's HOT)
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 12:32 AM
Hey Paris,

Do you mean derater is not your real name?

Harold
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 12:54 AM
When saying my name you must say it with authority and prefferably an echo. It really help my superhero complex. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 01:01 AM
Thanks for clarifying that scott. For some strange reason I always read your name with a scottish accent (like the school janitor on Simpsons), but the superhero thing works too.
Posted By: e57 Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 09:35 AM
e57 has been a long standing e-mail tag, (Originated from my number as a bike messenger many years back) although it has changed about ten times....

e57 @mindspring
@earthlink
@comcast
@ two jobs
@ a volunteer workshop
@ ect., ect.

I have however thought about an alias for posting dumb questions, or comments, but why? I do anyway!

Like this one: How many "Scott's" (or variations there-of) are there on this forum?
Posted By: iwire Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 09:47 AM
LOL

I am not a Scott, but I have Scottish ancestry.

Does that count? [Linked Image]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 04:35 PM
gfretwell everwhere I go. G stands for Greg but we already have a few here. ;-)
Posted By: IanR Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 05:53 PM
"It comes from my mother, who yelled this at me when she chased me around the yard for doing something stupid when I was a tot.

I have no clue what it means, but I like it."

Not sure what the unabreviated spelling of Dnkldorf is but "Dunkeldorf"
means: dark village
FWIW
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 06:32 PM
Dinkle Dorf
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 06:33 PM
Or, 'Swarthy cottage', but that doesn't make sense either!
Alan
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 07:30 PM
I have a father known to some of the other members, and we have the same name- so I changed to a name that more clearly identified which one of us was speaking!
Posted By: gideonr Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 07:34 PM
Well, I am a Scot, but my name's not double barreled.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 08:09 PM
New business, new name, Mike. Either way, it's still Dave.

Dave
Posted By: mxslick Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 08:33 PM
"mxslick" : n. Nickname given by factory motocrosser to rider of an old 1978 YZ125 Yamaha; racing in 1989.

I got this from no other than Larry "Big Bird" [he was tall] Ward when he saw me riding the aforementioned bike at a long-gone local motocross track. He told my roommate that I was "slick" on that old piece of [expletive deleted].

It is also my email name at both hotmail.com and sbcglobal.net.

Oh, and I'll stick with this handle no matter what stupid things I may post, lol. [Linked Image]

Tony
Posted By: adamb Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 10:41 PM
It such a pain to get a new birth certifacate and ss number I think I'll just keep my user name. The b is for Bennett.
Posted By: tkb Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 11:33 PM
I've always been TKB. Same in other forums.
Posted By: Roger Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/07/05 11:43 PM
Well my identity will remain behind my handle.

Roger
Posted By: highvoltageguy Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 12:51 AM
still got my name, even though appears going to be going back to work as a system operator looking at a puter monitoring the grid, but still read this and can spot the names changing myself, lol same kind of questions.....
Posted By: harold endean Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 01:55 AM
I just use my real name just cause I did. [Linked Image] I mean who could make up my name. Harold! Just kidding I see another Harold out there! My handle use to be Caper from the old days at *P* but when I was on Joe'T's baord we used our real names. I have nothing to regret about what I speak either, so, I guess I will still use it for now.
Posted By: BigB Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 02:23 AM
I first registered with my real name some years ago. Then one day I saw one of my customers on another forum asking questions about a bid I had given her. At that time I decided to re register with a handle. I just didn't feel comfortable knowing a customer could go online and see their electrician asking trade questions, some just wouldn't understand. The only thing I regret is when I re registered I lost my longtime member status.
B
Posted By: electure Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 02:28 AM
Like this one: How many "Scott's" (or variations there-of) are there on this forum?

When I joined in 2000, there was already "a Scott" (Scott35) here, so I took electure...a nickname given to me by the crew that I used to rant at about Safety and the Code.
They'd heard the term during the 2000 Presidential race, and started using it for my "soap box" discussions [Linked Image]

I'm still electure (Scott). I might even have the record here for the highest # of incorrect answers in posts!. I'll face up to it though. I'm not going to change the name.

Scott35 (after his age at the time) is not still 35, though. [Linked Image]

Iwire, of course that counts. Bobscott

BTW, Bjarney is also really named...well, you know [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-07-2005).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 02:39 AM
I am officialy changing my name to "The code geek formerly known as Ryan_J".
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 06:02 AM
Fella's,
This wasn't a rant or anything, I was merely asking the question, why.
Electure,
So that's how Scott35 came up with his username.
Interesting!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/08/05 11:01 PM
Well - while we're at it ...
Luckyshadow - Had to come up with a name years ago , was having trouble getting one that would be accepted. Looked around the room and on my right side was my beagle named Lucky and on my left side was my great dane named shadow so .. luckyshadow was born Real name is Ken
Posted By: capt al Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/09/05 12:04 AM
Capt al is a nickname giving to me at the first company Christmas party I attended with my current job. It started as a joke 8 years ago and has grown a life of its own. The president of the company calls me by it. When I picked up a new van at the lettering shop, Capt Al was painted under the drivers side window. The comments I get are comical.

Al
Posted By: drillman Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/10/05 11:02 AM
My name comes from when I was an apprentice. I drilled non stop for a month. Concrete hammer drilling. One day the boss started calling me drillman. Seemed like a good handle to use on the net.

That boss liked to give everyone nicknames. Had a guy who was a computer guy and he used macs so he called him.... macman.
Posted By: Radar Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/10/05 09:02 PM
Picked up the nickname Radar from a foreman some years ago on a good day of troubleshooting (lucky day, actually) shortly after we turned power on in a building.
Posted By: hurk27 Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/10/05 11:20 PM
Well I have had Hurk for a long time, and back when I was little I was involved with the CB radios and had the handle Hercules, which was always taken on the net so on the radio most called me Hurk for short and I added the 27 which is my birthday in October.

When I first got on the radio (1968) I first called myself little guy but because I had a 150' tower and 6 element beem and a old RCA short wave radio transmitter 25kw converted to 11 meters (thank's to my Dad) everyone started calling me Hercules and it stuck. [Linked Image]
Posted By: trollog Re: Double/Treble Usernames - 06/11/05 01:35 AM
Mine's from an awful B-grade horror flick from the early 80's called "the Pit". A weird loner kid in some town finds a pit in the forest where creatures called "trollalogs" live and he befriends them and starts feeding the unsuspecting townspeople to them. More a black comedy than a horror flick- memorable only because it is sooooo bad
© ECN Electrical Forums