ECN Forum
Posted By: britspark ahj / gc given you the wrong drawings? - 06/03/05 03:42 PM
how many of you have done a job on a site and then been told that the drawings that they supplied are the wrong ones and now you have to re do the whole job?

i was contracted to replace 13 Mercury low bay lights in a paint and paper supply house.

so we go to the site rope off and make safe the area we are working on and proceed to remove and replace the fittings.

the manager at the end of the day thanks us for an excellant job, we get a signature, go back to the office, agood day was had.

we invoice the job and get paid.

then i get a call from there head office and was requested to meet them on the job.

the man produces a drwing, it dont look nothing like mine., he says this is the one we should have used, we had a small heated discussion and i end up having to re do all the work again, and they dont wanna pay.

our conpany lawyer is now dealing with it.

any body else had this sort of problem and what did you do about it??

britspark
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ahj / gc given you the wrong drawings? - 06/03/05 04:53 PM
My wife is a builder and she is no stranger to bad plans.
IMHO
If you were never supplied with the right plan they pay. You fulfilled your contract.
If this was a mastered plan with a change order that you missed you pay. (some or all)
I think most of these problems could be fixed with a decent computer that only spits out the "right" plan and not some generic master with a dozen change order sheets.
But that may just be me.
I am amazed at how badly national corporate builders handle their plans.
Posted By: tkb Re: ahj / gc given you the wrong drawings? - 06/03/05 04:56 PM
Sounds like you made the mistake of redoing the work with out agreeing that you would get paid for it again.

Since they gave you the wrong drawing, they got what they paid for the first time. I would consider this a change since you already completed the job based on the information that you were given.
Posted By: LK Re: ahj / gc given you the wrong drawings? - 06/03/05 09:26 PM
Your job was complete, and finished, new job new contract, once you make the change without a new agreement, it puts you in a difficult position, getting legal advice was a good move.
We had a commercial account with a planned job, we installed as per dwg., just as you said, a month later, we are asked to re do the entire job, no problem we presented them with another contract, never heard from them again, and it was good we lost that account, because they go out to a different low bid contractor for every job.
© ECN Electrical Forums