ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 04:13 AM
I am considering an Isuzu NPR diesel for a work truck. I want to fit it with a 9 foot utility bed and a high top. I am afraid of the new Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks from what I have heard, and I can't afford down time on my work truck. Anyone know about these trucks or tried them?
Big B
Posted By: plcnewbie Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 04:35 AM
They are not made in America
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 05:53 AM
Hate to bust your bubble but Isuzu is GM. Chevy has a twin of the Isuzu NPR. It's the Chevy W3500. See it here: http://www.chevrolet.com/mediumduty/wseries/w3500/

The Isuzu gas engine is the chevy V8. The 4 cyl diesel is Isuzu. The diesel seem to be low on power with between 140-190 HP. The chevy diesel ver. has a 5.375 rear axle to get the thing moving off the line but you might be limited on a top speed. Diesel fuel econimy might be good even if the fuel costs us .35/gal more. To bad they don't list MPG for medium trucks.

If you plan on driving on the tollway/interstae much you might want to go for a test drive once. See if it gets up to speed fast enough and make sure it will keep up with the other trucks up a slight hill or against the wind (75 MPH here). I been told that other trucks with the Isuzu diesel would not go over 65 mph.

I don't know of any one manufacture of the big three that does not have some problems. No matter what you buy you allways could have some down time.

As far as where it's made it should say on the window sticker. You can't go by manufacture name to say where the vehicle is made. Cars like Hyundhi are now assembled in the US. The new Chevy Cobalt is a Dihatsu and all import.

Tom
Posted By: Sandro Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 10:52 AM
Er....the Chevy Cobalt is full in house GM effort. Built and engineered in US. The sad Aveo (and Epica and Optra in Canada) are all off shore makes with Chevy badges.

True, Hyundai just opened a US plant recently for the upcoming Sonata, the rest of their line is imported.

[This message has been edited by Sandro (edited 05-28-2005).]
Posted By: BobH Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 02:21 PM
Why would you be afraid of a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford. They are just as good as any foreign vehicle. I'm not referring to the poster here, but it just gets me sometimes that we all complain of losing our american jobs yet we see nothing wrong with buying a japanese car. I think we should support american companies. Just because there are Nissan plants here doesn't mean the profits stay here.
Posted By: walrus Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 03:39 PM
I haven't heard bad things about GM diesels in pickups, not sure about medium duty. I have heard bad things about ford diesels in PUs recently. Mostly injector issues.
Posted By: kinetic Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 04:31 PM
The Isuzu NPR diesel is a great truck. It does struggle on steep hills but anywhere else the turbo keeps it moving right along. Suprising what that litle four banger can do.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 05:52 PM
Sorry I got my car names mixed up. I ment Aveo like Sandro said. The Aveo is a Daewoo. I don't think Daewoo is still selling new cars in the USA. Another example is the Cadilac Catara is an Opel.

Here is the Isuzu web: http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/n_specs.html

You want more examples Honda has been making cars in the USA sence 1982.

U.S. presence
Company Employees Major plants
GM 194,000 82
Ford 128,000 35
DCX(Dodge) 76,600 24
Toyota 31,000 8
Honda 15,900 8
Nissan 25,000 8
Source: Detroit News research

Many of the big 3 are built in Canida or Mexico. Dodge is now only 15% USA owned. Sure it is great to buy American but my point is don't just go by the name.

One problem I herd about Checys diesel is the turbo has a new varable pitch inpeller that has problems. Exey truck can have problems.

Tom
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 08:09 PM
I'm all for buying American, but just because a truck has an American name doesn't make it American Made and more often a "foriegn" vehicle is more American than the "American" vehicle.

I drive a Chevy Avalanche, made in Mexico.
I owned 1 Dodge Ram made in Mexico and another made in Canada.
Dodge is owned by a German company.
Ford owns Mazda, a Japanese company.
Ford owns Jaguar, a Brittish company.
Volvo - Ford
Land Rover - Ford
Aston Martin - Ford.
GM owns 49% of Isuzu That's right, Isuzu is almost an American owned company and their light trucks are made in America.
GM also has ownership in Suzuki and Saab.

GMC and Chevy have a line of trucks that are Isuzu NPR's rebranded, so if you want an American name, buy it, but just know it was made in Japan.
Posted By: straightedge Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 08:41 PM
Yea, and I heard from my uncle who is a huge motorcycle buff that Honda goldwings are more american made than Harly Davidson mortorcycles.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 09:27 PM
The venerable BBC TV has a motorhead program called Top Gear, which does awful things to old vehicles, like firing cars off a quarry edge with a nitrogen ram, trying to hit caravans on the quarry floor 100 feet below, (sorry Paul!). They took an old Toyota Hi-Ace truck with a couple of hundred thousand miles on the odo, and hit it full on the side, hard as possible with a wrecking ball. It drove off. Then, they ran it with no oil or water till it ground to a halt. Refilled, off it went! So, they set it on fire. Once the cameras got their shot, the fire brigade put out the flames, and the mech drove it off, melted seats no glass and flat tires! Minor repairs, and they decided to REALLY finish it off, and put it on the top (5th floor)of a condemned multi-storey car park. The building was obliterated with explosives, and I can still see that old Toyota being driven out of the rubble, battered by unbeaten!
Alan
Posted By: BobH Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 10:58 PM
I've seen Toyota engines blow, head gaskets leak, crankshafts break. They aint bulletproof. I've seen Dodge engines run without oil as well as Fords. They all break, plain and simple. I buy American vehicles from American companies built here, VIN begins with 1 for America, 2 for Canada, 3 for Mexico and J for Japan, I think. I also drink domestic beer and don't shop at Walmart. There are some products such as electronics that we don't get a choice, there almost all made overseas. But for the products that we do have a choice concerning this issue, buy American before it's too late. Meaning from American companies. Personally I would hang my head in shame if I ever bought a foreign vehicle but I guess I'm just old school, people just don't care about that stuff anymore, it's a shame. I guess they only care when they realize their own job is gone and never coming back and their wondering what went wrong.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/28/05 11:45 PM
Personally I don't care who makes what, or where it is made.

I look for the best stuff I can buy, regardsless if it is made in Somalia or Detroit.

We make just as much crap as anyone else.

I look at it like, I'll do business with whoever makes the best stuff.

Hey BIG CORPORATIONS, CAN YOU HEAR ME!

Dnk.......
Posted By: plcnewbie Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 03:18 AM
[img]http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=JALB4B16267005680&PopUpStatus=0[img]

[This message has been edited by plcnewbie (edited 05-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by plcnewbie (edited 05-28-2005).]
Posted By: plcnewbie Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 03:24 AM
I tried to post a carfax of the vin of a Isuzu NPR. Idid not do it right it shows it made in Japan
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 01:58 PM
Man, some of the old timers are pretty clouded by patriotism.
The automobile market is a global market these days. Get used to it. It is a rare find to get a vehilcle with 100% American parts and assembly, if not impossible. I also say BAH to the "Profits going to Japan" philosophy. I'd rather have hundreds of Americans working in manufacturing with only the profits going back overseas.
Look at who owns whom and what. There is NO MORE big three anymore.

America is transitioning from a manufacturing economy to a service based economy. This is a sad fact for the gung ho "buy American" types. But it is a fact. There is less and less being made here any more. We do make some darn good pharmaceuticals & chemicals though.

We can blame this on schools and guidance counselors telling every kid that he HAS to get a degree and get a white collar job so he can make "real" money. Everyone is obsssed with getting RICH these days. Look at the line for the Lotto machine. Maybe I am the only one content being comfortable and happy. Blue collar work has a certain stigma attached to it these days.

How many of you can find decent help today?
I know in my area a good helper is worth his weight in copper! EVERYONE is looking for help and very few can find it. It's because most kids just got out of college and are too good to do lowly manual labor. He'll go to the mall and get a job in a record store for $7 an hour rather than do electrical work for $10-$12. Then after a few years maybe he'll get a real job, or maybe he'll realize the trades aren't so bad after all. "Hey, those guys can make some real money".

[This message has been edited by Speedy Petey (edited 05-29-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 02:10 PM
Hey guys, can we get back to the question that was asked and forget about the rest?

I am considering an Isuzu NPR diesel for a work truck. .......Anyone know about these trucks or tried them?
Big B

Bob
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 02:38 PM
Sorry. [Linked Image from countingcows.de]
Posted By: iwire Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 04:35 PM
Speedy my comment was not referring to you directly.

I just thought the subject of this thread had been lost.

JMO, Bob
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 05:19 PM
I have NOT personally used these trucks.

I do know that Isuzu has made quite a name for their trucks outside of the US. The smaller Isuzu trucks I've had have been quite reliable, if somewhat under-powered. Handling was also excellent.

A more pressing issue might be servicing the truck....while my mechanic was happy to work on my Isuzu- he practically danced with joy when I got a GMC!
Posted By: e57 Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 09:26 PM
I'll try not to wonder too far of topic, but my GMC van was made in Canada, but reguardless of where it is made, I feel that something needs to be done about what manufactures FEED the US market. For instance I would love it if what-ever company sold a slightly smaller light truck sized cab-forward designs like the Isuzu mentioned. They all DO make them, but for European, and Asian markets. The "American" pick-up truck design is a waste of space on the frame of "work truck" IMO.

Cut away vans reduce the waste of space, but lack the turning radius that you can get with the cab-forward design. And living and working in a city, that is exactly what I need. If I could get 4-wheel 90 degree crab strearing, I would line up with everyone else!

So I think that is two wins for that type of design. Turning radius, and usable working space.
Posted By: u2slow Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 09:48 PM
I have no first-hand experience with the NPRs. However, I do notice them being used as box vans, and with some of the landscaping/lawn care companies. My observation is you have large cargo potential in a short, maneuverable, fuel economical package.

You may want to investigate Hino, and Mitsubishi Fuso just so you're comparing apples to apples.

Not sure what you think of the Dodge Sprinter vans... they can be had with a high roof and dual rear wheels - and have a small turbodiesel.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/29/05 09:52 PM
I picked up on satelite tv a repeat for Europe, quite old, programme called 'This Old House', (WMBH out of Boston Mass.?), and a very nice man called Tom Silva was explaining his new box-trailer for his contract work to Norm. Seemed a good idea to me- walk-in, lots more space, practically a workshop on site, longer life, able to use the tow vehicle as the family auto. Any merit in the idea?
Alan
Posted By: BobH Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/30/05 12:13 AM
Clouded with patriotism, what a joke. Blaming the guidance counselors for the lack of manufacturing jobs, that's also a joke. If some people really though about what happened in the last 50 years and what it's lead to, then maybe we all could discuss this, but I guess, who cares anyway, right.
Posted By: iwire Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/30/05 12:19 AM
Bob

then maybe we all could discuss this

The thing is this is an electrical forum, we try to stay away from politics. [Linked Image]

JMO, Bob
Posted By: BigB Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/30/05 02:59 AM
Wow it's been a while since I sparked so much interest in one of my posts! Iwire I can see your point trying to keep the thread on topic but at the same time, altho I didn't mention it in my original post, the politics of buying a Japanese made truck is also of some concern to me. It is confusing to say the least what is really made here and where the dollars go. And what about customers, do they really know? I am sure there are some who will not look highly on you for driving up in a forigen made vehicle, or anyway one with a foreign name. Thanks for all the helpful replies, keep em coming!
Posted By: brianl703 Re: Isuzu NPR trucks - 05/30/05 05:42 PM
I have the GM Techline service manual CDs and the Isuzu NPR is on them.

I just checked and there is only one very minor TSB listed for the 2003 Isuzi NPR (I have no information later than 2003):

#02-07-30-025B Harsh Shifting, Delayed Upshifts with Possible CHECK TRANS Lamp Illuminated, Possible DTC 21 Set (Perform TPS Relearn Procedure) - (Jun 27, 2003)

Apparently it's got a 4L80E or a 4L85E automatic transmission which is made by GM.

Detailed information about this transmission is here:
http://media.gm.com/division/2005_prodinfo/powertrain/transmissions/05_auto_trans_specs.html#mt1

Noteworthy is the fact that it uses regular Dexron III transmission fluid. Many automakers are switching to proprietary fluids which cost more (like Ford's Mercon V)and are not available outside of the dealership (like DaimlerChrysler's ATF+4).

Since regular fluid changes are the best way to ensure long transmission life, the easy availability of the correct fluid should be considered.
© ECN Electrical Forums