ECN Forum
Posted By: Kermit911 Basic Tools - 05/26/05 12:47 PM
What are some basic tools you would recomend to an apprentice? and or good brand names?

Thanx all
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Basic Tools - 05/27/05 12:13 AM
Kleins (linemans pliars). There's a reason why everyone just calls them Kleins. Klein 12? in 1 screwdriver. Few other screw drivers. Wire strippers - Klien with padded grip. Hammer, utility knife, marker, pencil. Stanley fat max tape measure. 6 in 1 tap (klein). Wiggie. Never had much luck with many GB tools. Some greenlee and Ideal is good too.

Tom
Posted By: e57 Re: Basic Tools - 05/27/05 06:21 AM
Light-wieght!

Knipex Linemans, and Witte Screwdrivers.
Oh Ideal Super T stippers
Posted By: DougW Re: Basic Tools - 05/27/05 06:37 PM
As Tom said, GBs are OK, but one of the J-men looked at me at one of my first jobs and told me

Throw those things (GB linesmans pliers) in your truck, or use 'em around the house. For this job, buy a real set of pliers (Klein)

+1 for Klein, Ideal, Greenlee. Stick with a brand name - there are a few brands that contract with the "big 3" listed above (many Craftsman electrical hand tools are made by Klein, for example), but generally stick with the known names.

Consider the extra money for the Journeyman series, and the "2000 series" from Klein. The Journeyman feature is composite handles that make squeezin' easier, and the "2000's" are hardened to cut steel (nice when the "wood apes" leave nails sticking into your work area... or you need to cut BX/Greenfield or tracks for can lights). Just my $0.02.

+1 for the Klien 6-in-1 tap and the 10-in-1 screwdriver.

For lighter weight, consider the "reflex" (?) stripper/cutters from Ideal - they're a composite design - very lightweight. Not sure how they'll hold up to long term use, but worth a look.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Basic Tools - 05/28/05 12:23 AM
The one tool most apprentices always seem to lack is ... A PENCIL
Can't count the times I find apprentices running conduit , mounting boxes etc with no pencil.
I go through pencils and sharpie markers like their free!
Posted By: e57 Re: Basic Tools - 05/29/05 08:25 AM
They are free! I find them everywhere!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Basic Tools - 05/29/05 05:28 PM
Shovel, pipe bender, fish tape, ladders...wait, those are almost always company provided.
Work gloves, work boots, hat, hard hat, sunglesses, safety glasses....wait, that's clothing.
10n1, stripper, linesmans w/tape puller, dikes, flashlight, sharpies, tape measure, quality multi-tool, cordless drill, hacksaw....now we're getting somewhere.
Posted By: The_Judge Re: Basic Tools - 05/29/05 05:41 PM
How about this: http://www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=007008;p=1#000004
Posted By: hanketsusaigo Re: Basic Tools - 05/30/05 12:40 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned channel locks. Are you going into residential, commerical, or industrial? if commercial or industrial, you will definately need channel lock pliers, go with their brand, 420 or 422 are the most useful. I've tried to teach my helpers that a good electrician always has his channel locks in his pocket / tool belt.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Basic Tools - 05/31/05 02:23 AM
one of my best tools ....
a good apprentice !
Getting harder and harder to find one.
I find it very handy to have a sharp pocket knife with me.
Posted By: techie Re: Basic Tools - 05/31/05 03:41 AM
A good flashlight.. I like Surefire, but maglights work too..

a good non-contact tester (I use a Fluke)

drywall saw

a good headlamp

a torpedo level

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 05-30-2005).]
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Basic Tools - 05/31/05 02:44 PM
Has anyone mentioned a headlamp?
I wish I had one way back when. I remember trying to prop the flashlight up while I was working.
Keeps your hands free. Great for crawling in attics. Can be attached to your hard hat.
They have some really light weight ones now, LED, etc. Runs on AA batteries, just like your mini mag
Posted By: GovtVoltage Re: Basic Tools - 05/31/05 08:55 PM
As I was scrolling down reading the posts, I was thinking exactly that.........a headlamp! I use one whenever I am crawling around an attic..........you look silly, but it will save you a hell of a lot of time!!!! My buddy just started wearing a Skillers work vest.....we gave him a lot of crap when he did.....but guess who is saving trips up and down the ladder????
Posted By: rhiphi Re: Basic Tools - 06/03/05 01:09 AM
our bylaws have a tool list.
that we must have.but you can always add to it
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Basic Tools - 06/03/05 02:31 AM
RHI- I'd love to see that tool list. Can you post it?
Posted By: hypress Re: Basic Tools - 06/04/05 03:23 AM
From what I see out there now I thihk the most basic tools that ALL TRADES need is pride in workmanship and someone who will give up his own time to learn a trade. The present generation has got to learn that it is no discrace to work with ones hands.
Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Basic Tools - 06/05/05 01:22 AM
AMEN - hypress - AMEN !
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Basic Tools - 06/05/05 02:06 AM
Mark, where do you buy those Witte screwdrivers? I Googled them, and everybody that showed up wants Pounds Sterling for them.
Posted By: Precision Re: Basic Tools - 06/06/05 10:41 PM
I am a helper hoping to get into the apprenticeship this fall(I've interviewed, signed the books and filled out the insurance forms, just in waiting for a letter of yes or no). The hall does have a tool list and probly the most important tool I use is a conduit reemer.
Posted By: rhiphi Re: Basic Tools - 06/12/05 10:24 AM
Sorry it was our inside Agreement & neca chapter

Pencil
Knife
Channelock pliers [2 pair]
1/4"x4" st blade screwdriver
5/16"x6" st blade
3/8"xst blade
#2x4" philips
hold-it screwdriver
hacksaw frame
flashlight
6' folding or 12' or 16' tape rule
side cutting pliers
set of allen wrenches to 3/8"
current ed of the NEC
diagonal pliers
long nose pliers
wire strippers
torpedo level
center punch
cresent wrench
tri square
scratch awl
claw hammer

That's what we have to have in our bag
the contractor is supposed to have all the rest but I've got a lot more like my no dog screw gun tips and bits
Posted By: rhiphi Re: Basic Tools - 06/12/05 10:26 AM
Sorry it was our inside Agreement & neca chapter

Pencil
Knife
Channelock pliers [2 pair]
1/4"x4" st blade screwdriver
5/16"x6" st blade
3/8"xst blade
#2x4" philips
hold-it screwdriver
hacksaw frame
flashlight
6' folding or 12' or 16' tape rule
side cutting pliers
set of allen wrenches to 3/8"
current ed of the NEC
diagonal pliers
long nose pliers
wire strippers
torpedo level
center punch
cresent wrench
tri square
scratch awl
claw hammer

That's what we have to have in our bag
the contractor is supposed to have all the rest but I've got a lot more like my no dog screw gun tips and bits
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Basic Tools - 06/12/05 04:52 PM
Thx, rhi.
Posted By: e57 Re: Basic Tools - 06/13/05 01:34 AM
Solar, one of my main supply houses carries Witte, Knipex, and Klien...

(B&K if you ever find yourself in S.F., I think Bayshore carries them too?)

An alternative would be Wiha.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 06-12-2005).]
© ECN Electrical Forums