ECN Forum
Posted By: nov services pvc or seu - 05/25/05 11:36 PM
Just wanted to know what you guys that are in areas that use both, like to install a new service with. PVC or just SEU cable.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 01:39 AM
RMC
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 01:52 AM
Most of the electricians in my area use seu. Although there are some towns inspectors who enforce pvc risers. I have a question also, GRC or PVC Shc80 ??
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 10:36 AM
Mostly SEC residentially. Pipe on commercial. PVC or RMC use splits about 50/50, just depends on the type of job. On the PVC we use sched 40 unless it's between the meter and the earth (for the lateral)then the utility mandates sched 80.
Posted By: LearJet9 Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 10:58 AM
PVC looks so much better than a cable. Just looks like a better job.
Posted By: Tiger Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 11:12 AM
Go Tom! RMC

Dave
Posted By: Celtic Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 07:08 PM
I'd like to make them all RGC...but that is not always pratical. Next choice would be PVC...dead last is SE.
Posted By: LK Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 10:05 PM
It may be a good idea to check, before using RMC, if your utility supplies the meter pan, that the pan neutral is not bonded to the meter enclosure, is seems the meter pans that some of the utility provides, had bonded neutrals, good for PVC, or service cable.
Posted By: capt al Re: services pvc or seu - 05/26/05 11:58 PM
98% are done in PVC and 2% in SE. Also the SE has to be copper or I will not it. These numbers are strictly for residential services.
RMC for commercial & industrial services.

Al
Posted By: harold endean Re: services pvc or seu - 05/27/05 09:49 PM
Why would the AHJ require PVC, if SEU meets the code of the NEC? That would of course unless there is a town ordinence or POCO rule then that might be a different story. Here in NJ most guys use SEU.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: services pvc or seu - 05/27/05 10:06 PM
Harold, you have been around here long enough to know that some guys are pretty closed minded when it comes to doing things. Yes even inspectors. Wirenutt is in MA like me and I know for sure there is no rule that forbids the use of se for a service. I usually go with pvc but occasionaly I'll use se. Wirenutt, I'd like to know what towns don't "allow" se for services. Care to share?
Posted By: harold endean Re: services pvc or seu - 05/29/05 01:38 PM
Electricmanscott,

Yes you are right. How dumb of me. It just ticks me off when an AHJ goes above and beyond what the NEC requires. As for myself as an AHJ I try VERY hard not to do that. I try to go right by the book. I heard of a state inspector making an EC put Armaflex ( a type of pipe wrap) around a sprinkler pipe where the EC's MC wire was touching it. He reason was that if the MC touched the fire pipe it would create a redundant ground or something.
© ECN Electrical Forums